The Viper stereo...

Epro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will it work in other cars? I want to get the CD player from a Viper and put it in my car. I know nothing about car stereos, so help would be excellent :2tu:

TCKTPLZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I assume you want the GEN II CD player? If so, it really isn't much to rave about. In my GTS I think it is pretty good and definitely loud enough for me, but I can see others in perhaps a RT/10 want more power and sound. The stereo in GEN II's is rated at 200 watts where the stereo in the GEN III is rated at 500 watts. Big difference, as well as the GEN III stereo is a built in 6 cd chagner.

The GEN II stereo doesn't say Viper or anything like that on it, so no one could really know or tell.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper stereo is no better than any other stereo and not as good as aftermarket. But if somebody is giving one away go for it.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know it won't fit in a Gen I, and it has to be removed with the "special decoder thing-a-ma-jig" or it will not ever work when powered back up.

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper stereo is no better than any other stereo and not as good as aftermarket. But if somebody is giving one away go for it.

What Chuck said. The stereo unit itself isn't all that great, actually today I just had mine replaced.

OP
OP
E

Epro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just want to say

"Yeah my cd player came from a 2002 Dodge Viper GTS (For example)"

I should be able to fit it in any GM vehicle, as the stereo space occupied in there seems to be typically larger.

rac156

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just want to say

"Yeah my cd player came from a 2002 Dodge Viper GTS (For example)"

I should be able to fit it in any GM vehicle, as the stereo space occupied in there seems to be typically larger.

Sounds like way more work than its worth. Is it really that cool to say you have something that was once in a Viper? If it is I've got a sock that was in a Viper once. I'll sell it pretty cheap. :crazy:

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will it work in other cars? I want to get the CD player from a Viper and put it in my car. I know nothing about car stereos, so help would be excellent :2tu:

Great idea !!!! ;) I have one in my bus and I have one to put in the car trailer. You will also need the factory amp (aftermarket would probably also work) It won't work without an amp. It's not to hard of an install, but you will have to make a jumper from the radio to the amp.

OP
OP
E

Epro

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Great idea !!!! ;) I have one in my bus and I have one to put in the car trailer. You will also need the factory amp (aftermarket would probably also work) It won't work without an amp. It's not to hard of an install, but you will have to make a jumper from the radio to the amp.

I'm not willing to spend no more than 200 dollars on this project, but this seems like a good idea to me... Just no Viper floormats right? :cool:

GARY J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You would be better off just buying the $150 pioneer cd player from best buy. I'm pretty sure they use a proprietary plug that is going to be a PITA to figure out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadlick32