3.55 Ring and Pinion Gear and Exhaust/Header/Cats Install Question

TCKTPLZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First, I have a question regarding 3.55 gears. I would like to add some more bottom end punch to my snake and I figure this would definitely help. Now my question is: how involved and difficult is the install? I will be taking my snake to the Viper tech for installation, but if he has to take apart the entire rear end to do it I would rather pass on it. Not that I don't trust my tech, but I don't really want my snake to sit on the dealer's lot for an eternity. Also, are their any other gear ratios that are recommended or is 3.55 pretty much what everybody uses?

Second, I have a question regarding exhaust, headers, and cats. Tomorrow I will be ordering the following from Parts Rack:

Corsa 3" Cat-Back Exhaust
Belanger Headers
Randomtech Non-Ceramic Cats
3.55 Ring and Pinion Gear
Smooth Tubes
K&N Filters

Now my question is, around how much is it going to cost for the Viper tech to install all of this? Reason why I ask is in about a couple weeks I will be having a lift installed in my garage. I would rather have my Viper tech do the work since he in much more experienced and knowledgeable than I am. But if the labor turns out to be quite costly, I wouldn't mind doing it myself. I know I can easily install the Smooth Tubes and filters, but the headers and 3.55 Gears might me a little too much for me to tackle.

Thanks in advance! :2tu:

VIPR GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Taking the car to a tech puts you in the shop rate catagory, what ever that may be, $75-$80 per hour here. On most of your work you can do yourself with your lift. The headers and exhaust are pretty straight forward, the cats may present a small bit of work depending on the 2 1/2 to 3 inch change that must be made, but at worst it is a quick trip to a muffler shop for a quick cut and expansion, still very simple.
The 3:55 are a different story, take the rear end out of the car and to a good shop that sets up the gears. Usually not a Dodge dealer, it takes one day for it to be set up for you, don't forget the installation kit that is needed, from Dodge for about $125.
Do it yourself, not that bad and save a ton on labor.
Good luck.
Tony

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did both the Corsa and Belanger header install myself and they really aren't that bad to do. I did both with just the car up on jackstands. I did have to take the car down to a muffler shop to finish welding the header turnout to the cats.

I had the RT cats and 3:55 gears installed by my trusty Dodge dealer and they did a fine job. I think the gears were around $1200 for parts and labor including speedo recalibration box. In hindsight, it probably would have been smarter to just buy a whole pumpkin and swap it out as it isn't much more expensive. 3:55's seem to be the gear of choice, though 3.33's might be a better compromise if you're going to add much horspower later. I was surprised at how much lower geared the 3:55's felt like than the 3:07's.

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've researched the gear thing until I've made myself sick. For me, I've decided on 3.45. Gives you about 4 mph more in each gear. Perhaps somewhat of a compromise for a combination of off the line drag racing and higher speed cruising. It's funny, many people say that 3.73 is way too much gear. Well, 3.55 isn't that far away! Anyway, the following link helped me a lot:

http://www.xse.com/leres/bin/gearratio?title=SS+%23670+with+MM6+manual+and+GU6+3.42+gears&rpm=6000&mph=35&gear1=2.66&gear2=1.78&gear3=1.30&gear4=1.00&gear5=0.74&gear6=0.50&reverse=2.90&axle=3.07&tire=diameter&diameter=25.91&circumference=81.40

Good luck and let us know what you think once they're installed.

tzoid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went thru almost all the same mod's on my car....except for the headers. My suggestion is as follows...your tech will have no problems with the 3"Corsa & Random Tech hi flo cats, even if he does some welding which is the correct way to do it on the hot side. Mine charged $120 for that install. The K&N's and smoothies is a no brainer at $20 install. The very best move on the 3.55's (or 3.45's-you'll never notice a difference between them, I have 3.55's) is to hire your tech to come to your house, drop the differential (takes more time to jack up the car and put on stands then drop the rear end)and send it to Unitrax. They'll turn it in 48 hours and it's set up correct and perfectly...don't mess around with all the "experts" in town. Unitrax will only install a Super Dana 44 set of gears, which is the design set for a Viper, not the Dana 44's. They ship it back and your tech reinstalls and your done. My tech charged me $100 for that job and the shipping both ways was around $100, as I remember. Yes, it probably cost a few bucks, but I don't have the time, tools or inclination to do it myself. Just an opinion, but I know it works perfectly!

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh yeah, probably not a bad idea to do the half shafts while you're dealing with the rear end. Shorter gears = more torque to the ground. Even with stock Pilots, but especially with stickier tires, the chance of breaking a stock half shaft will be increased. Just my .02.

OP
OP
T

TCKTPLZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh yeah, probably not a bad idea to do the half shafts while you're dealing with the rear end. Shorter gears = more torque to the ground. Even with stock Pilots, but especially with stickier tires, the chance of breaking a stock half shaft will be increased. Just my .02.

Do you think so? After these mods this will pretty much be it. Perhaps later on down the line when the Pilots wear out I will get Kumho's, but that's it.

OP
OP
T

TCKTPLZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, one more question. I called my tech up today and he said it would take about 16 hours to do the following installation of these items:

Corsa 3" Cat-Back Exhaust
Belanger Headers
Randomtech Non-Ceramic Cats
3.55 Ring and Pinion Gear

Is this a normal amount of installation time for these parts?

Thanks in advance!

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buy the factory diff.(Mopar Performance), complete from Woodhouse for about $1100. Factory parts are always correct and reliable, besides you'll have your entire original diff. if you decide to go back to 3:07's.

16 hours sounds excessive to me, especially if you buy the factory diff. Why would anyone put in a non OEM part and pay excess labor and end up with just one rear end? Unless your going with other than 3:55 gears your not making a wise choice.
One other note is that you will need a speedo recalibration box. The negative side to this for anyone like me is that you have to cut into the factory wiring harness. I don't like the idea of that, additionally this only corrects info. to your speedo. The problem with that is that the computer is tracking mileage as if you had 3:07 gears. What does this mean? It means that if sell your car or have a hard a#$ dealer your speedo mileage is not going to match what your computer mileage statement. Most people will not care about such details but I do. Just something to think about. The Corsa exhaust is great.

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Camfab, are you sure about that price? I thought that was Woodhouse changing out ring and pinion gear. If so, that is prob the way to go

OP
OP
T

TCKTPLZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rich! You are going to LOVE your new exhaust!

Dave :2tu:

Thanks, especially for that exhaust clip! That completely sold me. While doing some research, I noticed you too posted a question about 3.55 gears and Aluminum Flywheels. I see that you did not get them. May I ask why? I was apprehensive about getting the 3.55 gears but JonB assured me there would be no problems whatsoever. Now as far as the Aluminum Flywheel goes, I am still not completely sold. There seems to be a lot of dissension regarding their effectiveness. Are there any particular reasons you chose not to do these mods? Thanks in advance! :headbang:

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The price I paid was $1,121 shipped to my door in CA. Part # is P5007401. This is a brand new genuine Mopar Perf. Diff. Assy. The beauty of this unit is that it has holes at the bottom which can be used for draining the unit and or for a Diff. cooler assy. also available from Mopar. I dealt with Nancy Shanno at Woodhouse. She also threw in the U-joint caps and bolts.
Just my $.02 but I would never run an aluminum flywheel on the street. My Camaro idled with one inch of vacuum and I thought that was streetable, huge cam, monster gears, Jesel belt drive, heim jointed suspension etc.... It was all fine, but the aluminum flywheel was one mistake I will never make again.