AC problems....

Bigot Bledsoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
first, for a few months now my ac will blow cold intermittently. most of the time it does not work, then out of nowhere it will start blowing cold. dealer checked pressure and charge, which were fine....what else might I look at myself before taking it back to the dealer.

Also, heat does not blow out of the front vents, it will only blow on the defrost position...dealer said this is normal and can't be corrected.?

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
first, for a few months now my ac will blow cold intermittently. most of the time it does not work, then out of nowhere it will start blowing cold. dealer checked pressure and charge, which were fine....what else might I look at myself before taking it back to the dealer.

Also, heat does not blow out of the front vents, it will only blow on the defrost position...dealer said this is normal and can't be corrected.?

Sounds like the compressor is short cycling...could be electrical related..... OR a loss of freon will cause the low pressure switch to cycle the compressor on /off. Pop the hood and put the AC on...with the fan on High...go to the front passenger side (engine area) near the heater...and look at the top of the reciever/drier and check the top sight glass window for bubbles...if you have them...all you need is a charge.

Get 2 can's of freon R-134A and a charging hose (Recharge Kit $10.00) and add refrigerant untill the sight glass is clear. Do not over charge!

Dave

NOTV8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Before you top off the charge checked for any sign of oil trace as this will be an indication of leak and need to be fix or you the same problem again.

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The most common leak on the gen 2 is at the schraeder valve depressor under the blue cap...low side(suction)

Get a valve core removal tool and tighten it.

If no obvious oil is seen on fittings...get an electronic leak detector...or use soap bubbles. The electronic works great for the evaporator coil leaks...for sniffing in the air discharge vents.

Or have a dealer put Spectroline Trace in it and use a black light.

Dave

Casper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hello, i resume this old thread..

I have opposite problem... in my Gen2, didn't work cold air..I recharged R134 and it worked..very cold...i was happy but two months after, from front vents, blow only hottest air... In two months i used my car only three or four time...

p.s. sorry for my language but i'm italian..

KyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Casper, sounds like a leak. As Badd said above operate the system ( be careful how long you run the car during this check or side sills might be damaged due to heat) and check for bubbles in the sight glass, if you see bubbles need to be leak checked and fixed before servicing again.
Also, the AC is one of the things that really likes to be operated. This keeps all the seals (especially in the compressor) lubricated and keeping a good seal. I make an effort to operate mine every time I run the Viper (even in cold temps).

Hope this helps.

Casper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey friends, i didn't reply because i didn't try so far... i was far for work..
Thank you and asap i'll try and post my feedback.
You are kind to help me :2tu:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper