96-99 Windage tray and baffles for sale anyone?

Eric H

Viper Owner
Reaction score
new/used, prefer cheap! and of course shipped quickly, Janni has me all freaked out about the oil starvation. The whole stage 2 setup from partsrack is out of my pricerange for now.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have a baffled pad - but I do have a stock 1996 pan if you need it.

Both our GTSs were modified with Joe's solution and would highly recommend it.

OP
OP
E

Eric H

Viper Owner
Reaction score
is that just the windage tray or does that include the baffles?

Thanks Janni, if the 96 pan is the same as the 98 i may "borrow" your 96 so i can modify that one and then return my 98 to you.....

So all i need is Joe's kit?

Cal Cobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is the oil pan on the 96 different, or does it just have a windage tray (which is definitely a good thing)? I have a 96 RT/10, which is a compilation of Gen1 and Gen2 parts/technology.

I read that the 96 RT/10 is also supposed to have the windage tray, can anyone confirm this?

Thanks,
Cal

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I've had the baffles from Joe for several years. Very pleased with his work.

Oil pan on Gen 2 motors 1996-1999 are the same. (unless it was one of the porous early ones that should have been changed out under a TSB.)

In 2000 the pan added about 1 qt more of oil.

The 2000 windage tray is a BIG
improvement over the 96-99 tray and , IS worth obtaining - will work like a charm in the 96-99 Gen 2 with either the existing or a 2000 pan.

Best buy for the 96-99 is to keep your oem pan andget the 2000 windage tray & Joe's baffles. He can give some tips on smoothing out the inside of the pan for better oil return and how to modify the early windage tray if you don't want to buy a 2000+ one.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eric,
I am ******** - I thought we had a pan boxed up downstairs - but it's actually an exhaust system (cast iron manifolds) for a 1996. Sorry.

OP
OP
E

Eric H

Viper Owner
Reaction score
awww man, you gave it to tom!? lol tom you dont need it ;-)

HOws that beast of a car treating you? I talked to morris for awhile the other day...

carl B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the baffle kit for sale but no windage tray this includes the trap doors but they cant be seen on the pic

$100

8022DSCF1283-med.JPG

Carl

OP
OP
E

Eric H

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the baffle kit for sale but no windage tray this includes the trap doors but they cant be seen on the pic

$100

8022DSCF1283-med.JPG

Carl

i think i'l take it... is it shipping from the UK? might be a bit steep to ship to NC, USA?......can i get just the windage tray seperate? do i NEED the windage tray?

thanks!

Joe Dozzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I didn't know any better, I'd swear that was a picture of one of our early kits!

Our latest work includes a better top plate, but it's your call, Eric.

A definite yes on the windage tray (or modifications to yours).

OP
OP
E

Eric H

Viper Owner
Reaction score
is there a template that i can use to modify my windage tray? Is it that hard to do? with the rest of the car needing prep im on a budget and if i can do it myself, its all the bettter(and cheaper of course)

Thanks Joe!

Joe Dozzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What the heck... Here is a picture of the 96-99 windage try modifications I'd recommend, viewed from the bottom of the windage tray (front of engine is to the right in the photo).

137Slots_Only_in_Stock_96-99_Windage_tray-med.JPG

In place of the slots, one could drill two 3/4" holes where the arrows are marked.

Also note the wavy black line... We usually machine this off. Both modifications are to improve oil return to the pick up.

The 2000+ windage tray have the "wavy bit" bit removed but could still benefit from the additional drain holes.

And for the Bonus $$$$'s, semi-polish the inside of the pan while you have it apart. I've seen some pretty rough castings that would hold a lot of oil...

137Oil_Pan_and_side_view_Windage_Tray-med.JPG

Does not have to be "show quality" polish, but the more smooth the better...

Be sure and clean this up VERY carefully after your work. I had one case of some debris reported back to me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth