Drive line loss

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would drive line loss be a percentage of the total power being transmitted through it?

Seems like the loss might go up a little when higher torque is going through it but I don't see how a constant percentage is going to give the right answer.

Calculating the flywheel hp by using a constant percentage of loss on the way to the wheels, will give a bigger number.
Perhaps that's why it's popular to use a fixes percentage.

OP
OP
J

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a good article but it doesn't really answer the question.

If you look at the heat energy that 18% of your hp represents, It's hard to see where all that heat is going.

I'm not sure that the load on gears or bearings has a linear effect on frictional losses.

Loss through bearings or gears probably goes up when more torque is transmitted,
I don't see why the loss must be linear.

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure that it's a linear relationship either... unless someone wants to somehow measure driveline heat output vs. torque, we'll not know.

A percentage is probably an oversimplification... how close to the truth it comes is questionable and in my mind only suggests that driveline loss is not fixed.

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While the amount of driveline loss (power, not percentage) will rise somewhat with increases in power, the truth is that driveline loss is closer to a fixed amount for a given car than it is a fixed percentage of total power. Because it is really neither, and because there is no ready way to measure a fixed amount without removing the engine from the car, it is easier to approximate as a fixed percentage. The percentage will go down some as power goes up though.

OP
OP
J

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup,
I believe there is an almost fixed amount of power that it takes to run the drivetrain.

Gear mesh, roller and ball bearings probably don't increase friction in a linear manner as torque goes up.

The amount of heat that would be generated by 80 or 100 hp loss in a drivetrain is very large. I just don't see that heat being generated.

I believe that people like to have a big % number for loss calculation.
That way they can claim a bigger number for engine hp.

I also believe that a number of car guys are going to favor the dyno that shows the biggest hp.
I'm sure that the folks who sell dyno time have thought about this.