Bug Wash

Muzz B Yellow

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since we have a rather short driving season here in Big Sky Country I'm taking every opportunity to get out and enjoy the car...after each trip I find an incredible bug collection on the front bumper..so I wash down the front end with water and use a good car wash solution and elbow grease to get the buggers off. Of course I dry it all off with my electric leaf blower! I feel like I am going to rub the paint off from doing this on a daily basis.. Is there a better less aggressive method?

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, there is.

Go to your local market and buy some H2O2, better know as hydrogen peroxide, the type that you use to clean small cuts/wounds.

The best way to apply it to use an empty bottle of Windex or similar and spray the H2O2 on the bugs.

Let it stand for a few minutes and you will see that the bugs will start to turn a foamy white (exactly the same reaction that when you put H2O2 on a wound/cut) and be very soft.

Just use a rag to to wipe them off.

The H2O2 will ONLY react with organic material and consequently is 100% safe on paint,plastic,etc.

Once you use H2O2, you will never use anything else to deal with bugs.

Luc.00 GTS

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
... The H2O2 will ONLY react with organic material and consequently is 100% safe on paint,plastic,etc. Once you use H2O2, you will never use anything else to deal with bugs. Luc.00 GTS

Interesting tip. Thanks for sharing!

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just get some quick detail spray and use that! I've never heard of using h2o2 on a car before to get rid of bugs! Learn something new everyday!

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My buddies over on Rennlist.com turned me onto a product called Rejex.
They told me to apply the Rejex just like I would a wax and the bugs, brake dust and dirt would wash off with no effort.
I was very skeptical to say the least, but after almost a month of use on the Viper, this stuff works GREAT!!!
I also had a problem getting the splattered bugs off my front fascia. Not any more. They wash right off.
The HRE wheels on my car are a b***h to keep clean, but after I applied the Rejex they wash up so much easier.
In my opinion the shine is every bit as good as Zaino.
Give it a try, you wont be dissapointed. :2tu:

http://www.x-autoproducts.com/pages/product_rejex.htm

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The "Bounce" sheets you put in the dryer work great as well. Get them wet and gently rub on the bugs and they come right off, then rinse again.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another easy way to remove dead bugs is bounce fabric softner. Moisten a bounce cloth with water and wipe over bugs. In 10 seconds they are completely emulsified, and easy to wipe off with at towel, or wash off with hose.
You will not believe how fast it works. No Rubbing!

SpinDr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

If you decide to use H2O2 as a bug remover, do not keep it in a spray bottle that is clear or translucent - use something that is dark / black plastic.

Hydrogen Peroxide when exposed to sunlight, turns into Carbonic Acid - this is a pretty week acid, but it is still an acid. It is the acid component in acid rain.

This is why it is always bottled in a brown container.

Over time, Carbonic acid would be harmful to your finish.

Using this precaution, Hydrogen Peroxide is a safe, effective bug remover.