Question-Shipping to Italy-what to look out for

Matt Houston

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been contacted by a possible buyer in Italy.
So far it seems legit, but I'll make sure to have money in hand before the Viper gets on the boat. Any comments, thoughts or suggestions about exporting a car overseas?

Vintage Racer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Could be a scam. A good friend just got burned, it went like this. A buyer, located in Europe (the UK) struck a deal at full price. He forwarded a check that included the full price of the car and the shipping charges to get it over the pond. He said the shipping had to be paid the next day or he would lose his spot in the container. Good friend writes a personal check, Fedex's it to the shipping company where it is cashed that day.

When the dust settled it turns out the buyer's check was counterfeit. So friend got burned for the $7,000 shipping charge which the bank covered by raiding his checking and savings account when the sellers check bounced.

The FBI say the shipping company was a front and they can't trace the supposed owners to anyone real. Oh, and the FBI also says, this happens all the time (at least in their world) and how could you be some dumb?

If your deal starts to look like this, beware

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the answer is cash/bank transfer direct into your account, forget the various cheque type routes, and then remove it from your account before letting the car go just to be safe.

If the buyer is genuine he would agree to this, its normal business for such a large amount

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matt, I'm heading to Italy in two days (Wednesday). I'll be there until the 17th and I should have internet. Let me know the details and perhaps I can check this out for you. I will be staying in Verona (northern part), but am planning on going to Venice and Rome on the weekends.

Matt J.

OP
OP
M

Matt Houston

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the answer is cash/bank transfer direct into your account, forget the various cheque type routes, and then remove it from your account before letting the car go just to be safe.

If the buyer is genuine he would agree to this, its normal business for such a large amount

That is great advice. I haven't heard back from the buyer, but when I do, I'll suggest we do it that way.

OP
OP
M

Matt Houston

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matt, I'm heading to Italy in two days (Wednesday). I'll be there until the 17th and I should have internet. Let me know the details and perhaps I can check this out for you. I will be staying in Verona (northern part), but am planning on going to Venice and Rome on the weekends.

Matt J.

Thanks Matt. I haven't heard anything from the buyer today, but if something pans out, I'll let you know.

Viperviking

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Matt,

I have been exporting cars here to Europe in about 20 years now, and have personally brought over a couple of Vipers for myself..a 97 GTS and 99 ACR.

There is a few things to do on your part, first getting the payment into your bankaccount before you ship it, do the local paperwork and get the car to the port. Wirepayment from his bank to yours is the most secure and fastest way of doing it, just make shure you give him your banks bankcode with your accountnumber..the routingnumber you don't have to worry about since we don't use them over here.

Be careful when you have the car delivered to the nearest port, if you do, since many cars do get some scrapes and small dents during shipping, make shure your truckingcompany has a solid reputation and a good insurance, and make shure you find a freightforwarder that know how to tie down a Viper in the container if you ship with container (talking from lots of bad experience), if you ship roll on roll off, make shure that there are no loose parts in the car since they will most likely never make it to destination (talking of experience).

Sign off all the original documents and send them in to your local DMW, and make up a SOLID bill of sale and buyers agreement before you ship the car, many overseas buyer want a low bill of sale amount, since we have very high salestax in most of Europe..in my case 25%, so this will have to be an agreement between you and the seller. The title has to follow the car, but I would send it to the freightforwarder with registrered mail so they have to sign for it..that way you are off the hook if something goes wrong or get lost.

I do have some international freightforwarders that I use myself if you need some asistance in that area.

I hope this helped you..if not please feel free to ask any questions.

Sincerely,
Kurt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper