Hello All - First Time Viper Owner Here

Tico

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A big hello to everyone on this forum. My name is Oscar and I am originally from Costa Rica - but raised in the United States since age 3. Been driving cars and riding motorcycles for many years.

Yesterday I turned in my '04 BMW M3 Coupe and picked up my '05 Silver Mamba (170/200). HOLY COW!!! The Viper is a monster in every respect in comparision to the M3 - but unfortunately that also goes for comfort. I had never even sat in a Viper before so I can tell you "everything" is shocking and fun (except for the heat in the cabin from the side pipes). I was wearing shorts so I think I lost most of the hair below my knee on my left leg. I was back at the dealership this morning picking up the two keyless entry transmitters and asked the Sales Manager and Viper Tech about the heat coming into the cabin via the side pipes. They both said they had never heard of such a thing and that no Viper owner has ever complained about this at their dealership - but that nevertheless they want me to take it in on Friday to see what the problem may be. From what I've read on this forum they will not find anything wrong and the only fix would be aftermarket products and cat removal.

Anyhow, just wanted to say hi. Any advice and tips would be more than welcome as I am a total newbie to the Viper.

:2tu:

4 NEIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome.....and enjoy your Viper...take it easy....there are no computers to get you out of trouble as in the M3...but I guarantee you will never have had so much fun with your clothes on!!! :2tu:

JohnNad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"They both said they had never heard of such a thing and that no Viper owner has ever complained about this"

Just read up on the forum, the dealer is clueless and doesn't want to address the issue. Every SRT 10 is gaurunteed to have that problem. You should get a corsa exhaust and it'll go away and make you car sound better with increased horse power. Welcome, and use this board to get most of your info, not the dealer. A good tip would be to find a good viper tech in your area, just ask around here.

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congrats on your new Viper. I have to concur with John, get the Corsa track system and your heat problem will be gone.

TOPGON

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ADDED INQUIRY I bought my SRT with 4K miles and have no idea if my exhaust was modified. Living in Texas heat country my sills are certainly warm but not necessarily hot nor do I feel much heat inside the car. The sound is a low toned rumble which I have no reason to change. Any way to determine for certain if I have a modified exhaust system?

ARMORGOD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tico,

Congrats on your new silver Mamba!!! Great color choice bro. The cabin heat is typical. As you already know the cure is an aftermarket exhaust. But be sure you address the twin cats while you're at it. Many believe that this is where most of the heat is generated at. A single set of high-flow cats will do a lot to eliminate the heat.

TOPGUN,

Most aftermarket exhaust systems have a dressed-up exhaust tip. If your Mamba still has a plain ole' tip, then it could still possibly have an aftermarket system that still maintains the stock crossover (like my Belanger system). You'd have to take the side sill off to look at the muffler and verify if it's stock or not.

MAVERICK

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Oscar welcome aboard! I love surfing in Costa Rica and get there about every 3 months. If you ever ride down to South Florida from Orlando look me up. The best Mod to increase performance on your new car is a mod in yourself. If you haven't done it you should look at the 3 day Skip Barber Racing school when they do it close to you at SEBRING or take the 3 day Panoz school which I hear is pretty good too.

un abrazo,

Maverick

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:

"The best Mod to increase performance on your new car is a mod in yourself."

Great advice :2tu: :2tu:

OP
OP
T

Tico

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome and advice guys. I'm having a blast with the Viper and trying to get to that magic 500 mile break-in number (in spite of all the rain we've had the last couple of days). Only 140 miles to go before the real fun starts (after the oil change of course).

Earlier this afternoon the rear end broke loose in second gear on a wet road (I was a little too eager on the throttle). Had to come home and change my shorts. Damn, driving this thing is intense. Great fun.

mamba20

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats Oscar!!!! The truck driver from Exotic Car Transport just called me earlier this evening to tell me he was in Orlando, Fl with my 05 Silver Mamba 20/200 and will be delivering it to my house in Miami sometime in the morning to afternoon tomorrow 6/3. I can just imagine how your feeling right now. I know I'll be in your shoes tomorrow (hopefully the rain will die out tomorrow afternoon).

Anyways, good luck and enjoy.

Nelson