A/C Recharge DIY ?

Cal Cobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi,

The A/C in my 96' RT/10 isn't blowing very cold air. A peek at the sight glass window shows it's pretty empty. I was thinking about pumping a can of Castrol R-134a oil charge with leak stop and leak detector. It breaks down to about 8oz of R-134a, 4oz of 'other' stuff (POE oil, Leak Stop and red Detector Dye). I bought the Castrol Cool Air kit, comes with two cans of the above, and one of 12oz R-134a, pressure hose w/brass fittings and valve, meter, adaptors, and dash thermometer for testing. I figured worst case scenario it should lead me to the point of failure. Best case is that it'll fix the issue.

Has anyone done this themselves? I've read up on this and I believe I release one can of this stuff into the ac low pressure service port (with blue cap) with the engine running, and the A/C blowing on high.

Is that all there is to it? Any gotchas?

I've rebuilt engines, but never touched A/C equipment :)

Thanks,
Cal

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just did this, and it's as easy as it sounds. I assume empty means slight bubbles, as no bubbles can mean full.

The system holds about 4-5 cans total, and a low pressure cut-off switch shuts it down when it's one can or so low. If the compressor runs now, likely you'll only be adding one can, two at most.

Don't be fooled by the pressure reading with the A/C off; it will be high (120 psi.) When you turn the A/C on, the suction side of the compressor will fall to the 10-40psi range, depending on how full. Bring a *** of hot water to sit the can in; it will help push the vapor into the system, automatically reminds you to have the can right-side up, and it floats the can when empty.

I've seen perfectly fine A/C systems need a can every other year.

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
good post, i was just getting ready to do this myself to make sure my a/c was ready to handle the summer heat. thanks for answering some of my questions as well bro. v10

OP
OP
C

Cal Cobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just to follow-up on my A/C refil. I gave it a shot last night. I had the R-134a oil charge with leak stop and leak detector attached to the recharge hose, and connected to the A/C low pressure service port (with blue cap) with the engine running, and the A/C blowing on high. I don't think it sucked out one ounce of R-134a from the can. Looking again at the sight glass window it does appear that the system is fairly full. I don't believe that the compressor was engaging.

Do I need to manually jumper the compressor to engage in order to get a can of this R-134a oil charge with leak stop and leak detector into the system?????

Thanks,
Cal

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Cal Cobra...take NO offense, but saw a buddy do the same thing last weekend and he had the same result...NO transfer of the R-134 from the can...THEN, upon closer examination of the insturctions, he repeated the procedure of turning the valve (clockwise as I recall) til he HEARD the seal puncture, THEN, he reversed the valve fully and the system filled, ultimatly taking 2 cans...just a thought.

OP
OP
C

Cal Cobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tom and Steve,

Thanks for the tips. Steve you may be on to something with the valve on the can. I was kind of wondering about that, but didn't want to take the chance of R-134 and oil blowing all over the place, but as the can is actually screwed onto the fitting, it should be ok. I'll check it out when I get home.

Thanks,
Cal

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Cal, we were using a different brand of can...but, we clearly did not appreciate just how far to screw it IN to get thru the seal on our first attempt. Admittedly, we were first timers...and, your can may be entirely different.

By the way...the final result was great!!

Good luck with yours.

OP
OP
C

Cal Cobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
HEY GUYS IT'S WORKING!!!

Damn if the valve wasn't the issue (ok, user error :)

I thought the valve with the puncture tip where the R-134a goes was like a needle with an opening at the end, but that's not the case (what can I say, first time messing w/AC).

I reattached the can tonight, and started the Viper with the A/C blowing on full and opened the can by backing the puncture valve all the way out as Steve suggested, and the R-134a sucked out instantly. I put my hand over the A/C vents, and it was ice cold after the first can. I added can #2, and it took almost the entire can. I did a road test for about 30 mins, and it blew ice cold @ a solid 50F. Not bad at all when it'll soon be 105F :)

Honestly I'd recommend trying this kit for anyone.

Cal

OP
OP
C

Cal Cobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member