RT/10 Complete Stereo overhaul with 10" console sub - Review

Need4Speed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RT/10 Complete Stereo overhaul with 10\" console sub - Review

Had the car back from the stereo shop for a few days. Have not really had the opportunity and time to explore different types of music with it but I will say the improvement is quite dramatic. The car finally carries bass and enough of it that you will have to turn it down at some point. We are not talking about knock your neighbors windows out bass but enough to say yes that sounds nice. The box is a Wicked Cas design, Nazar worked with me at Wicked Cas and was very helpful in detialing the finishing touches. They can taylor some features on it to anyones preferences. I opted for something as close to stock console as possible. I was pleased with the end results. The console box is a reverse mounted 10" sub (I chose an eclipse subwoofer to install), and has almost 1 cubic foot of space with an additional packing inside for increased sound depth. I powered it with a Rockford Fosgate Punch 150 amp (I had) running mono 300watts to it. The door speakers were replaced with a Canton series 6.5" mids and tweets. They look just slightly bigger than the stock units. They were powered by a Nakamichi amp I also had. All this is tied in with a Sony XEC1000 Electronic crossover. The head unit is an new Eclipse CD8445 with a 24bit/DAC with a high 8 volt preamp output and low 55ohm impediance. It comes with an 8 band EQ, time alignment, multi harmonizer, and a boat-load of features that I have not tried yet and dont know how to use. Also has all the gps and Ipod addins that I dont really care about at the moment. My emphasis is sound quality and overall the system sounds great keeping in mind that a convertable with such a small cabin compartment is difficult to work with. The wicked cas sub box has an added feature in being reverse mounted. When you crank it up and the bass thumps it vibrates the seats and console giving you that strong bass sensation. You feel it through-out your body as well as hear it giving you a powerful music experience. The bass is not extremely deep and long like a 15" sub, but rather tight and fast. It will definitely thump and you can see all the mirrors vibrating. The system will crank and give you a serious listening experience. I will admit though, the best sound with the top off is in the garage with walls to bounce off of. But given the RT's limited space configurations, I'd say this is a pretty good sounding setup. All amps and crossover were run into the trunk with the high grade wiring. The components overall look like they belong there, and is not in the way of anything. I was informed that the Wicked Cas rear console arms aren't a perfect snug fit like the stock ones, but they are close enough and behind the seats that you can't tell at all. I would agree it was worth the extra punch in sound. The alarm key reset switch you simply rerun to anywhere off the new console (I ran it off the top). I must say Ray at C.A.R.S. Custom Alarm Radio and Sunroof (in Greenwich CT) and his installers did a great job in peicing this together and I would recommend them for anyone looking for a high end system to alarms, etc. They have done RT/10's before, Ferrari's, Porsches, Bently's, etc and take extra care with your vehicle. They are very knowledgeable and capable of building something to compete with to something that just puts a smile on your face during a short drive.

7827Picture3-med.jpg

7827Picture4-med.jpg

7827Picture5-med.jpg

7827Picture6-med.jpg

7827Picture7-med.jpg

7827Picture8-med.jpg

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: RT/10 Complete Stereo overhaul with 10

I have not doubt it sounds better than the stock system.

The part I don't understand is you now have no access to the alarm disable switch and lost the storage compartment.

Hopefully you relocated the alarm switch.

OP
OP
N

Need4Speed

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The alarm switch is very easily re-run and set anywhere off the new console. I had it installed off the top part of the right console arm just behind the drivers seat. As far as storage compartment, well thats your trade off, that goes for space/volume added to the sub for bass performance. The only thing I had in the glove box was the registration and insurance card which now sits in a big envelope under the seat.

I kept all the old stuff in case I ever want to put it back. Console is easily replaced. As far as bass systems go, so far this was the best alternative I have found/seen to keeping the car "stock looking", sound performance, and comfort. I know alot of guys choose the footwell option. Not that its wrong, I just could not see that in my car. Everyone who has seen the box who does not own a viper and has not seen the RT/10 console before could not tell that it did not come that way from the factory.

Steve 02/RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Looks like your console is in its 3rd trimesterand crowning.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62