water leak

RENTME

Viper Owner
Reaction score
my brand new 05 srt10 has 5 miles on it is it supose to leak water by the gallons in through the door glasses when you go to a touchless car wash also the lines on every panel are not the same is this typical for SRT10'S I think the car could have been hit before... :shocked:

Reaction score
Gallons... Are your leaving your windows open?

The car likes hand jobs, no touchless car wash.
The car thrives attention, you should do it yourself.

When I wash my car, "small amounts" of drip -flow down the inside of the windows, though not enough to concern me at this time.

You should show some photos of your concerns regarding the lines/panels.

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would you buy the car in the first place if every panel line was different? You never noticed this before you handed over your money?
How could a brand new car have been in an accident?
Let us see some pictures...

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rent Me: You did not mention the color; the sun has an effect on colors depending on the angle of the car you are looking at. I would take it to a high end paint shop and get their opinion. On the leak,make sure your windows raise tightly against the frame of the convertible top. The dealer can also do a leak test.

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a soft top convertible and it will leak with high pressure water, just like many other soft top cars....

OP
OP
R

RENTME

Viper Owner
Reaction score
$ 95,000.00 dollars and i should be able to go to a high pressure toucheless car wash and not get wet, the dealer told me the whole car is built by hand thats why the lines are all off i took his word for it and then went to locall show and my car lines look like hell compared to the other vipers, and the car could have been hit at dodge factory before it got to the dealer.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you paid 95K for that SRT than more than the car has been hosed.

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Run on Sentenceeseesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss..............

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$ 95,000.00 dollars and i should be able to go to a high pressure toucheless car wash and not get wet,

Noooo, for 95K you got a 500 c.i. V10 that will whoop everything under 300K.

If you want a hand to pop out from under the seat take care of your business you need to buy a Vette.

In fact, with all the complaints you've had it's obvious you bought the wrong car. Just go buy a Vette and be happy. Vettes are the greatest cars in the World.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$ 95,000.00 dollars and i should be able to go to a high pressure toucheless car wash and not get wet,

If you want a hand to pop out from under the seat take care of your business you need to buy a Vette.

In fact, with all the complaints you've had it's obvious you bought the wrong car. Just go buy a Vette and be happy. Vettes are the greatest cars in the World.

I KNEW you were a closet GM *****! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I KNEW you were a closet GM *****! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

It's even funnier that I was right about him being a Vette owner. Not difficult though, they leave a stench everywhere they go.

mamba20

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You meant, " For 95K you got a 505 c.i. V10 that will whoop everything under 300K." ;) :2tu:

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With all due respect, I think you may be a little washed up.

1. Most of these cars will show up with at least 7 miles on the odometer from the factory (each is run on a chassis dyno - not to test power, but to test the entire drivetrain). So unless your touchless car wash is right next the factory, it should have well over 5 miles.

2. How does it fit on the tracks of a touchless car wash? The vast majority CANNOT fit the rear tires on the track because they are too wide and the roller won't catch to move the car through the wash. Those few owners that try it are generally turned away by the car wash operators.

3. I would suggest that while the SRT can indeed let in some water on the sides when hit with high pressure, it is rarely more than a trickle. You make it sound like it is on both sides, which would make it an anomaly times two.

4. As to the body lines, I saw fifty (50) 2005 Vipers side-by-side as they were being delivered. While there were certainly a couple that might have has a slight variation on the gaps (generally with the trunk), the lines were virtually identical around each and every car. Your description sounds way off.

5. Unless you are in Canada, $95,000 is simply too high to be believable. The cars are generally sold around sticker price, which is always under $90K.

6. You mentioned that your car lines look like hell compared to the other Vipers at a local car show.

... A. There are rarely multiple Vipers at local car shows unless it is an organized Viper event.

... B. If there were indeed other Vipers at this car show, some were undoubtedly Gen I and/or Gen II. With all the deepest respect to the Gen I & II guys, the lines (gaps, not design) on the SRT are almost always better. The clamshell hood is difficult to align perfectly and the SRT is not.

Bottom line: The chances of you having multiple Vipers in a local show with a NEW SRT having the worst body lines (gaps, not design) is slim. To have it with only 5 miles is slimmer. To have it leak gallons of water in a car wash where it generally doesn't fit is even more slim. To have it cost $95K is, well, pretty darn slim indeed.

I hope I am wrong on all counts and that you really do own said Viper and get it checked out by the dealer. Good luck.

OP
OP
R

RENTME

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chris, Thanx for your help everything i have said is tru 05 yellow vipper from herb chambers dodge in mass. It has 128 miles on it know ,if you are familer w/ new england it is sring and that bring tons of seeds from trees. thats why i washed it so quick the touchless high pressure car wash, the tracks are on the ceiling so any veh can drive in ( inc 05 srt ) i went to a local rest on thur night and there were 3 SRT10's there two being customers of mine and none of the lines are bad and none of there windows leak ...you seam to be a man w/ some brains not like some of the other people on this forums. i am sorry if i ask alot of questions but i am excited about this car, but it just does not seam to be right... thanx for listing :smirk:

OP
OP
R

RENTME

Viper Owner
Reaction score
vladi like i said stay in fu---ing snow land w your snow tires !!!!!!!

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris, Thanx for your help everything i have said is tru 05 yellow vipper from herb chambers dodge in mass. It has 128 miles on it know ,if you are familer w/ new england it is sring and that bring tons of seeds from trees. thats why i washed it so quick the touchless high pressure car wash, the tracks are on the ceiling so any veh can drive in ( inc 05 srt ) i went to a local rest on thur night and there were 3 SRT10's there two being customers of mine and none of the lines are bad and none of there windows leak ...you seam to be a man w/ some brains not like some of the other people on this forums. i am sorry if i ask alot of questions but i am excited about this car, but it just does not seam to be right... thanx for listing :smirk:

Okey dokey, I'll work with you here: As far as the windows, you should NEVER use a touchless where the water jets go around the car (assuming the car is stationary). While the side windows will probably leak a little at the tops, the back window will provide you with a full-blown shower. I don't believe it is sealed at the top (inside the car itself) and allows air to pass through. And lots of water. Your best bet is to go to that same wash (which I will assume has self-serve bays) and wash it yourself. Make sure you wash both side windows and especially the back window by spraying downward with the high pressure wand. As posted previously, a slight trickle from the side windows wouldn't be unusual (I have it on the driver's side), but no gallons.

Realize that the car doesn't leak when it really matters: When you are driving. I have had two SRT-10's in driving rain and stayed perfectly dry. Not a drop in the car. Even my GTS got water in it around the windshield.

Body lines & gaps: If you are concerned about possible damage repair prior to your taking delivery, take it to an independent and reputable body shop in your area, preferably one that works on high-end cars. They will be able to look at it and tell you immediately whether it has been repaired or repainted. Assuming it has not, take it to the dealership (or another one if this one balks) and explain your concerns. I know that the Dodge dealers here will realign hoods, trunks, doors, and headlights if it is that obvious. One of my headlights on my '03 was aligned poorly (aimed fine) and the dealership corrected it under warranty.

Best of luck, and keep us posted of your results.

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Something to look at and also consider, when concerned about aligned doors, hoods, and trunk, look at the paint on the bolts.

1. If the bolts have the paint worn off or chipped, OR touched up with paint, something is probably wrong and these items have been tampered with. Could point to possible damage before.

2. If you have them align these items, THEY will damage the paint on the bolts, etc., and it will be obvious to a seasoned "inspector" from here on out that something has been messed with. Years back, I had some damage on one of my cars, and the VERY high end paint shop refused to remove the bolts because of the obvious paint chips and inability to fix it later to look like factory. They worked around it by other means because the damage was such that they could.

Bottom line, look at the bolts. Touch up or chips MAY mean a problem. Just another data point for you to consider.

Eagle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My car was one of the ones he looked at and some of the panels did look misaligned but who knows. I met rent me and he is a real nice guy so any help to him would be appreciated.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If either Eagle or Rentme purchased their SRT new you would automatically be VCA members. It would be beneficial for you to send a VIN to one of the mods to get it stated as owner or VCA member so people, including myself, do not question your ownership. The only verification stated so far is Eagle, who registered as an enthusiast (non owner) just over 1 month ago. Not exactly confirmation.

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wasnt there a dealer on this board who bought a brand new SRT-10 from another dealer and when it was delivered they sent it back because it had been damaged?
Tried searching for the post but came up empty.

Eagle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Automatically a member once you fill out the paperwork that is right here on my desk, which is exactly 14'3" away from my new Viper. VCA #20819 Thanks EAGLE

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My desk is closer to the Viper: About eight feet (I just have to drill through the floor to look at it ;) ).

As far as previous damage, I think it was "Muzz B Yellow" that got his car with a mismatched door (color) - indicating a repaint. Don't know how that was resolved...

Eagle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Im actually going to write my payroll this week inside my Viper just for the hell of it. :usa:

Reaction score
The panel that doesn't line "UP" quite right on my beast is the trunk and side panels behind the conv top.

My windows drip somewhat when washing, though the thing that really ****** me off more than anything is the black adhesive around the rubber trim on the drivers side window/door. It was done poorly (sloppy) and gets all over the place when I ride, open or close the door and window.

Vipper Rich

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Fort Lauderdale, FL (Winter) Saugatuck, MI (Summer
The panel that doesn't line "UP" quite right on my beast is the trunk and side panels behind the conv top.

My windows drip somewhat when washing, though the thing that really ****** me off more than anything is the black adhesive around the rubber trim on the drivers side window/door. It was done poorly (sloppy) and gets all over the place when I ride, open or close the door and window.

I have the same adhesive problem with mine too. Checked with the dealership and they said they could not do anything about it - it's making a mess.

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Viper is solid! My trans am used to leak like crazy and have the seats all wet (brand new 01 ws6). The viper never has the interior wet!

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
As Chris and others have said, you should never take any convertible to a high pressure touchless carwash. Regardless of the price , this is extremely ******* stitching, seams, as well as some panels that may be heat sealed. Do the hand wash yourself, and if you do use a high pressure washer, stand back a safe distance so as not to apply extreme pressure on the top. On the other hand , don't feel bad about doing this , as I did the same thing with a Miata once ( leaked like a seive ) and my brother got bucket-loads in his S2000 years ago when he went through a high pressure system. The other thing Chris noted is even more important, as the rims on your car are Ultra Expensive to replace and a scratch can not be repaired/matched due to the strange clearcoat the supplier uses. Paradoxically they ( Supplier to DC ) doesn't seem interested in giving anyone exact specs, they would just prefer to sell you a new rim - at a retail just a bit under $3000. So, wash yourself, and please tell us your $95,000 included tax, title and license, since the MSRP on this car was only $85,295.