Oil Cooler Bypass Question, and A/C

BLWNV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I understand THIS correctly, when I turn on my A/C, my car no longer uses the oil cooler. (it is bypassed) Has anyone disabled this feature so you can run the A/C and still flow engine oil through the oil cooler? My A/C is very cold and I am not worried about losing any of it's cooling capacity. I think I would be happier keeping the oil going through the oil cooler and having less heat saturation of my motor.

Am I correct about this?

Alan
BLWNV10

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
I believe the oil cooler is bypassed when the A/C compressor is on not the entire time the A/C is on. Get an ACR oil filter adapter which will keep the oil flowing throught the cooler. Jon B. has them.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The standard oil cooler (GENII) is flowing oil when pressure is sufficient to close the bypass, i.e. above idle. At idle it is designed to bypass the cooler in order to allow cooler air to condense the R134 and keep the a/c pressures down. In practice, if you were to start you car cold and do nothing but idle it, the oil cooler will get hot so I question the effectiveness of the bypass.

The ACR oil filter adaptor eliminates the pressure valve and runs oil through the cooler regardless of oil pump pressure. It is not recommended for cars driven in below 32 degree weather as it could prevent the oil from ever reaching operating temperature.

The GENI's have an oil thermal switch (which seems like a more appropriate method) and the GENIII have a oil to engine coolant heat exchanger which maintains the oil temp in either weather condition, another more appropriate method.