Ti Lug nuts

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since no one seems to make low weight lug nuts for our vipers, I have been talking with a manufacturer who makes ti ones. Have spoken to many people regarding alum/Ti and it seems the alum ones are not ideal for street use.

Here is my question who would be interested in a group buy? These are obviously specificaly custom made, and will reduce your rotating mass at least 50% of factory lugs.

Price will depend on quantity, but there will NOT be any viper tax involved since the maker has no idea its for a viper. They should be under $20 each, maybe way under if we have enough people interested to make about 500 of them.

Please post here if you are interested, and if you would like them to be open or closed end.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry for my bluntness here Russ but how much rotating mass can a lugnut produce? The lugs I have can't weigh more than 2 ounces each. 2x24=48 divided by 2 =24oz. What am I missing?

01sapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to also rain on the parade, but along with only saving a few ounces (at the center of the wheel which is the least favorable place to save weight) the costs are somewhat scary (IMO)

$20ea = $480/set
$15ea = $360/set
$12ea = $288/set
$10ea = $240/set
$8ea = $192/set

Not implying that you couldn't do your own math, but that's a lot of money. I'm not sure how much stock replacement lug nuts are.

I can see your point on a track car that spends a lot of time on the binders because of the principle of rotating mass, but I doubt any street guys care about the few extra ounces. Now a Ti wheel, that may be a different story !

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
People will pay the price for Ti components.
Reducing the rotating mass of the wheel assembly is good.

That's why I have been working on wheel weights made of anti matter.
Sure, it's expensive, but think about how nice it would be to remove weight when balancing instead of adding it.

There are only a few minor technical details to work out.

01sapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe117: You are really on to something there. I also have a theroy that the tires could be filled with an anti-matter mixture virtually rendering the entire vehicle weightless. The accelleration advantages are obvious, although I am still trying to get the Dylithium Crystals to properly align in the fuel chamber. :crazy:

Please keep me "a-******" of your work in this area and remember all submissions need to be made in duplicate or "pairs".

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm keeping my nuts. :D

But seriously, I think weight gain would be better with lighter brake discs, wheels, etc. They are the big hitters when it comes to rotational mass.

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score
I think you are all nuts !!!

BTW replacement nuts about $72 from dodge, non discounted.

Bought about 6 months ago.

OP
OP
R

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will try to answer everyones questions with one post.

1. It should be about 1/2 lb per wheel, which is worth it in my book.
2. If you think this is expensive for custom made Ti pieces than this is not the mod for you. And if you look on parts rack web page they sell steel nuts for $365.00 a set. They have a nice viper logo on them, but they are steel.
3. While you do get greater loss of weight from wheels, to those of us that already have bought wheels to accomplish this need more. You will not see a reduction in weight from brakes unless you are trying to make the Viper brakes even worse.
4. Ti Studs would require alot more work to install, if you like I can find out for you how much they would be.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 2 lbs weight savings is not only rotational, but unsprung as well. Road racers might be interested.
Be sure to use a anti-gauling compound on the threads.

Viperviking

Viper Owner
Reaction score
wow..I paid $180 for a set of factory lugs for my 99 ACR over here..should probably order a new frame in Ti from the US :cool:

Viperviking

Viper Owner
Reaction score
sorry..over midnight here, the Viper still have a total of 24 lugnuts..so it cost me $216..I am off to bed before I fall asleep zzzzzzzzz

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you want to "gain weight" with "lighter disks" because "They are big hitters".

Sorry I just couldn't help myself.

OP
OP
R

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update,

There may be a company already making lugs that will fit the viper. They are supposedly an alum/Ti alloy 7071. Going to check on its practicality and get back to everyone on the price.