Aftermarket cams

HOdbleFman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RC, I've got a comp cam that I'm swapping out for a bit larger one. I sent you a PM, but I'm not sure if you got it or just not interested. PM me if you want the specs and any other info.

OP
OP
R

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ryan, Just replied to your PM.

PRVT JET, Can you give me/us an overview of your heads/cam package? I'm kind of at the research stage and would be very interested to know how your car is set up and what you think of the results. This would be especially valuable since our cars started life mechanically the same (01,02). Thanks,

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 01 with Heffner heads and a comp cam. The cam is a little bigger than the ones in the 96-97 cars, so it makes decent power. Prvt Jet has a cam a little bigger than mine and makes (I think) about 25 more rwhp and I know Ryans is bigger and made some nice numbers.

really depends on what power level you are looking for and then a cam can be designed to achieve those numbers. I would consider what kinda power you are looking for and keep in mind the driveability and tuning will certainly change the bigger you go.

John

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just looked at the links and dont waste your time with those.

PRVT JET

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ryan, Just replied to your PM.

PRVT JET, Can you give me/us an overview of your heads/cam package? I'm kind of at the research stage and would be very interested to know how your car is set up and what you think of the results. This would be especially valuable since our cars started life mechanically the same (01,02). Thanks,

I have ported heads with 2.02/1.7 mopar valves, the cam is a custom grind with .612 lift on exh/int with 1.7 rockers. I made 541 rwhp with a vec1, with a vec2, I think I can get at least 10-20 more. With the nitrous, I made 690rwhp on a 150 shot.

Isaac

viperkraz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PRVT JET- What is the duration on that cam your using? Just wondering how it compares with the crower stage2. Ready to install ported mopar performer heads w/2.02 and1.60 valves, 1.7 T&D's, vec2, and the stage2 cam. Shoting for 530-550 rwhp range, but I think it will do more.

PRVT JET

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't have the cam card infront of me, but I believe it was around 236. With the vec2, I think you will make it. You can get the performance timing chain and have the cam drilled so you can degree it.

DynoDaddy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I will be taking my cam out in the next couple of months. I have been working tightly with Crower cams on a custom turbo grind. They have been very helpful. I suggest talking to crower one on one about your goals and what they suggest.

OP
OP
R

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I think I'd be happy with 540-550 RWHP which should translate to over 600 hp crank hp. I guess I'm looking for a balance between the most cam I can get and still have a "reasonably" streetable car that doesn't need excessive tuning. Later this month, I'm having 3.45's installed, so rpm's shouldn't be a problem with a more aggressive cam.

diabolos88

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what is the hottest cam you can go with on a creampuff? Should you stay away from used cams? I know of one for sale from a Viper tech that came off a TNT car, the guy wants $400, it's got a 600lift and has less than 3000miles on it. What do I need to do in order to achieve the closest HP gains to 600HP level WITHOUT going forced induction or NOS?