Effective Octane booster

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have read some threads on octane boosters. But didn't find the right information. I have an issue here. In some remote areas the only fuel available is 87. Obviously that limits a lot my performance.

Is there an effective octane booster available in large stores chains like (Napa, Wall-Mart etc ?). Something that would boost 87 to 91 or even 94 without destroying my expensive oxygen sensors ?

What would be the best octane booster to get from a speed shop ?

Bill B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only effect (and safe) way to do it is with the proper fuel. When the booster says it raises octane 4 points it is actually .4 of an octane rating.
I'm sure Tom will chime in on this and put it better language.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
>Is there an effective octane booster available in large stores chains like (Napa, Wall-Mart etc ?). Something that would boost 87 to 91 or even 94 without destroying my expensive oxygen sensors ?<
No.

>What would be the best octane booster to get from a speed shop ?<
Race fuel of higher octane. You can blend it with pump gas and expect that the octane of the mixture is in direct proportion to the amount of each fuel. (i.e. 25% of 100 octane with 75% of 87 octane is 90.25 octane.)

Short term solutions would include:
~an aftermarket fuel additive that cleans combustion chambers and reduces your engine's need for higher octane.
~ensuring the intake air is as cold as it can be (not meaning lower thermostat temperature)
~several 5-gallon cans to take on your trip.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Toluene. It is a paint thinning/cleaning solvent that is available at home stores and paint stores. It is a real octane boosting fuel, not fake octane boost like aftermarket octane boosters, and it is lead free so OK for oxygen sensors and cats. Try a search on the forums of Audiworld.com for mixing instructions (somewhere around 80% gas to 20% toluene = 5 point octane boost IIRC)

EDIT: here I found a link: http://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/1720466.phtml

pullshard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use Torco and it helps in my Saab. I also put it in the viper but I really can't tell the difference because the car runs great with the super charger as is. I can adjust timing from inside the car on the saab. I was able to decrease the amount of timing being pulled out of the car by almost 3 degrees. I'm also able to achieve 3 more psi of boost or 21 as opposed to 18 before I started using it. I have not seen any orange residue on the plugs, but I also change plugs every 4000 miles. Can't comment on o2 sensor as well.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Toluene is about 114 R+M/2, so mix with your base gasoline and do the math. It is also more dense than gasoline, so the engine will run rich while it re-learns, then run lean while it re-learns after you run out.

Propane can be as high as 107-ish, depending on how pure it is. But it takes a little effort to get to the engine.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a little less safe health-wise than gasoline. It is an aromatic, so somewhat more agressive to seals. But, gasoline and avgas already contain some amount of toluene, so it's not a foreign substance. Therefore, materials in your fuel system would be fine.