I'm having a hard time deciding between 20 inch and 19 inch wheels ...

FLYNLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I\'m having a hard time deciding between 20 inch and 19 inch wheels ...

I have been wanting to go with a 20 - 19 inch combo on my srt. However, 19 and 18 would not be so bad either. The only problem is that there is not much of a choice when it comes to 19 inch wheels. Only pirellis, PS runflats, and PS non runflats. However, with a 20 inch wheel, you can go with the new 335 PS2's or you can go with the 345 Pirelli Pzero which has considerably less sidewall. Will anybody be making a very stick 19 inch tire soon for the Viper? Perhaps a drag radial, or maybe even a Ps2? Reason I am so concerned is because I will be doing the supercharger very soon, and I do not want to be tractionally challenged ( if that is even a phrase :laugh: ) Either way, does anyone know if there will be some GOOD 19 inch tires soon for the Viper? Or am I simply going to be playing the guessing game for the next few months?
thanks guys

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: I\'m having a hard time deciding between 20 inch and 19 inch wheels ...

I say you do the 19/20's. That extra inch really makes the car look good! If not do 18s/20s which also looks really good! (I personally don't know about the tires I know I'm getting the Pirelli Rosso's in 275/30 and 345/25 **I think thats it**)

Ricky

OP
OP
F

FLYNLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I say you do the 19/20's. That extra inch really makes the car look good! If not do 18s/20s which also looks really good! (I personally don't know about the tires I know I'm getting the Pirelli Rosso's in 275/30 and 345/25 **I think thats it**)

Ricky
ahh..if i go with the 20's..i think im gonna go with the 335 Michelin PS2's...H.ennessey went 121 mph on those tires. Supposedly they grip like mad men also! The pirelli Rossos are on Gary Javos Heffner TT SRT...previously owned by Krazy PSI..I wonder how they hold to the ground...hmm..I would like the wider tire...but I hear the 20 inch PS2s are the best overall street tire you can buy. Decisions, decisions :laugh: I don't think it's good to go 18 and 20...when you stagger sizes, i think it's safe to only deviate one inch. Thus..19 & 18, 20 & 19.
So you think you're gonna get those Venom 5Rs in polish? Or you gonna go with the Venom 6R's? I think im getting the 5R's in high polish, chrome is ridiculous if you need them repaired at some point.

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm doing chrome but still trying to decide between 5R and 6R. I think I might get the 5R. Or if the price is right I might just get 847R HRE's. Are you doing Henn. wheels for sure?
Ricky :confused:

OP
OP
F

FLYNLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm doing chrome but still trying to decide between 5R and 6R. I think I might get the 5R. Or if the price is right I might just get 847R HRE's. Are you doing Henn. wheels for sure?
Ricky :confused:

yea, much better value, plus I don't have to pay shipping. He is only a few miles down the road from me, and will take my wheels as a trade in. How's that for service! They look just as good as HRE's...and im positive the quality is there as well..

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score

How much is he giving you for your stock wheels? I want to trade mine in as well!! Are you going to be putting much thought into KW suspension's lowering kit? Skip White has been working on a suspension kit for a while as well and might have that out soon!
Ricky

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Oh youth...Stay up till 3:37AM thinking about tires... :laugh:

unreelviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

FLYNLO, I would definitely do the 19/20 combo. I can't speak for the Michelin PS2's, however, I have the Pirelli P-Zero Rosso's and they are very sticky. The downside to these tires are the short tire life. "I guess you have to pay to play"! Good Luck!

OP
OP
F

FLYNLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score

DSR207- Yes! Insomnia at its finest! It's horrible when you cannot go to sleep...ahhh

unreel- Yeah bro, I was leaning harder towards the 20-19 inch combo. There are definitely more tire choices, and the combo will look more aggressive, especially when lowered.

NOMERCY

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I went with the 19/20 combo. :headbang:

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Just an FYI regarding the new 335/30/20 PS2.
I was also looking forward to the release of this tire. I had planned to swap my Pirelli's for them, but after some thought, I am not going to do it.
The new 335/30/20 PS2 will have a 27.913 O.A.D. compared to a 26.791 O.A.D. for the Pirelli 345/25/20. You are going to gain 1.122 inch in O.A.D. with the PS2.
The sidewall will also increase by .561 compared to the Pirelli. Not to mention the loss of .4 of an inch of tire width.
Then if you go with the 275/30/19 for the front you are going to have a tire with a sidewall of only 3.248. That means your rear sidewall will be .708 larger than your front sidewall. That could have the potential to look real odd.
The new PS2 is also recomended for a maximum 12.5 inch wide rim. My HRE rear wheels are 13.0 wide.
http://www.michelinman.com/assets/pdfs/doc_pilotsportps2.pdf

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm just wondering if anyone has any pics of the before and after installarion..... 19's then going to 20's??? Does it really make that much of a difference?

Cheers and thanks

OP
OP
F

FLYNLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score

NOMERCY- I can't wait to see your HRE with the black centers. Im sure that they will look mean! I remember your white Zo6 that was at MTI, I was around while they were building it :laugh: You have to take pictures when your car is done bro.

Brian- Thanks for the heads up. So do you think the Pirellis will be better than the PS2's even if Im going to be running the paxton blower? I want to get the best traction possible, and 800 hp is a lot for tires to be holding :laugh:
Are you running the 345 pirellis on your car?

thanks guys

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I have the 19/20 combo's on and love the way that they look. But If you want to make traction with a supercharger you must and I say must go to a drag radial setup. I use bfg's with a 18 inch rim. When I go to a show or a long drive I have the 19/20's on. But if I have to prove my viper power I'm rollin on the com ssr with my 18's on.

vd..

OP
OP
F

FLYNLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have the 19/20 combo's on and love the way that they look. But If you want to make traction with a supercharger you must and I say must go to a drag radial setup. I use bfg's with a 18 inch rim. When I go to a show or a long drive I have the 19/20's on. But if I have to prove my viper power I'm rollin on the com ssr with my 18's on.

vd..

Yea, this is part of the reason why I was contemplating the 19 & 18 inch setup...Im thinking that a 19 inch drag radial will be released soon...and that is exactly what i'd like to run...only time will tell..and im just itching to get my hands on some new rims with a moton suspension!

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Brian- Thanks for the heads up. So do you think the Pirellis will be better than the PS2's even if Im going to be running the paxton blower? I want to get the best traction possible, and 800 hp is a lot for tires to be holding :laugh:

The Viper is running the Pirelli 345/25/20 on the rear and 275/30/19 on the front.
I am a BIG fan of the PS2's. I had Tire Rack replace the 19 inch Pirelli's on my 997S with the PS2's after less than a couple hundred miles. They are a superior dry weather tire.
There is a down side.
Tire Rack told me to expect to change the rears about twice as often as you would if I had stayed with the Pirelli's. :2tu:

OP
OP
F

FLYNLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The Viper is running the Pirelli 345/25/20 on the rear and 275/30/19 on the front.
I am a BIG fan of the PS2's. I had Tire Rack replace the 19 inch Pirelli's on my 997S with the PS2's after less than a couple hundred miles. They are a superior dry weather tire.
There is a down side.
Tire Rack told me to expect to change the rears about twice as often as you would if I had stayed with the Pirelli's. :2tu:

I see...the Viper is not my daily driver however, and I simply want the stickiest tire that money can buy that will fit on a 20 inch rim...that is if I decide to go with the 20 inchers. I really wish they would make a sticky tire for a 19 inch wheel that fits the Vipers rear...that would be perfect. We do not live in a perfect world...therefore :(

I'll live..i guess i'll just opt for the 20 inch wheels. We'll see how it goes. I will let you guys know with an update as soon as the blower is installed.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm doing the PS2's as soon as my 20" set gets here. ;)

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

Why won't Michelin or BFB or anybody make a sticky, wide set of 19 inch rear tires for the Viper?

OP
OP
F

FLYNLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Why won't Michelin or BFB or anybody make a sticky, wide set of 19 inch rear tires for the Viper?
That is EXACTLY what i've been pondering for the past few months. It's quite aggravating knowing that they can easily do so...but won't do it. I would stick with stock sizes if they would let me do so. I am forced to either drop down to 18 all around (which I don't want to do) or upgrade to 20's. It's ridiculous. I would get the copperhead wheels if I could, I just don't want to spend the money on them knowing that I can't run a sticky tire to hold blower power on the car.

Carrot- Let me know how those Ps2's do on your car. I might do the Pirellis...im not so sure at this point.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have the 345 Pirelli's on my 19's and they do pretty well, but I keep hearing how great these PS2's are, so I'm going to give them a shot. John has had more experience with Vipers than anyone, so I'll take his advice.

OP
OP
F

FLYNLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have the 345 Pirelli's on my 19's and they do pretty well, but I keep hearing how great these PS2's are, so I'm going to give them a shot. John has had more experience with Vipers than anyone, so I'll take his advice.

How is the traction with the 345 pirelli on the 19 inch wheel? Im really curious because I would like to stick with 19 inch wheels and get the copperhead polished wheels, with motons of course....you think they will stick well with the blower?
thanks

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score

They don't really stick, but they are a LOT better than the run craps! 720 to the ground is gonna be hard to hook up no matter what.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950