How much does it usually cost to have an exhaust system put on the car?

FLYNLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wanted to know the general rate for an exhaust system to be put on the car...I want to expect how much to pay.
thanks guys

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For some reason mine took way too long!!!!! (had to install high flow cats as well) Ended up costing me $677 :eek: :eek: (The mechanic did have to open up the car 3 times though...once becuase Jon B aka parts rack didn't tell me the Corsa he sent me wouldn't work without the high flow cats....2nd time to install the unit...3rd time to do adjustments after it burned my side sill!)

OP
OP
F

FLYNLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For some reason mine took way too long!!!!! (had to install high flow cats as well) Ended up costing me $677 :eek: :eek: (The mechanic did have to open up the car 3 times though...once becuase Jon B aka parts rack didn't tell me the Corsa he sent me wouldn't work without the high flow cats....2nd time to install the unit...3rd time to do adjustments after it burned my side sill!)

Ouch..for that price, you could have almost paid for a basic Paxton install here in the states...doh!

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats what happens when you have tech's that are supposed to be "viper techs" but have never seen a viper in their life :(

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ricky are u saying the Corsa exhaust won't work without the high flow cats? How much are these cats? Where did u purchase them? And why did the side sills burn?

The reason why I am asking is that I am debating on installing the Corsa or the street exhaust by Mopar.

Thanks
patrick

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ricky are u saying the Corsa exhaust won't work without the high flow cats? How much are these cats? Where did u purchase them? And why did the side sills burn?

The reason why I am asking is that I am debating on installing the Corsa or the street exhaust by Mopar.

Thanks
patrick

No the Corsa will work without the high flows depending on which one you get. One has a 3" inlet and the has a 2.5". The 3" works with high flow cats and 2.5" with stock cats. I purchased everything from partsrack and I canceled my order of the high flow cats but Jon B decided to send me the Corsa that works with the high flow cats anyways!! (And yes it was shipped AFTER I canceled my order on the cats). Anyways thats a whole different story. The side sills burned because the Corsa expands a lot more then my mechanic anticipated and it ended up being too far low and burned the bottom lip area. I ended up getting Dodge to paint both side sills (the black area) with some heat resistant paint and its a little darker then the regular flat black which looks great! (Small difference which most people can't notice but I can since I saw the car before) Something else to think about is when you drive past someone with the Corsa and high flow cats and your up past 3k rpm they basically [******] on themselves and call the police saying your speeding...3k-4k in 1st gear isn't speeding unless you have an exhaust like mine!
Ricky

Noredline

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depends, parts for mine was $1030 for the Race exhaust and computer controller, and another 400 for install, so about $1400 total through the dealer. I am happy with the system.

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks
patrick

No the Corsa will work without the high flows depending on which one you get. One has a 3" inlet and the has a 2.5". The 3" works with high flow cats and 2.5" with stock cats. I purchased everything from partsrack and I canceled my order of the high flow cats but Jon B decided to send me the Corsa that works with the high flow cats anyways!! (And yes it was shipped AFTER I canceled my order on the cats). Anyways thats a whole different story. The side sills burned because the Corsa expands a lot more then my mechanic anticipated and it ended up being too far low and burned the bottom lip area. I ended up getting Dodge to paint both side sills (the black area) with some heat resistant paint and its a little darker then the regular flat black which looks great! (Small difference which most people can't notice but I can since I saw the car before) Something else to think about is when you drive past someone with the Corsa and high flow cats and your up past 3k rpm they basically [******] on themselves and call the police saying your speeding...3k-4k in 1st gear isn't speeding unless you have an exhaust like mine!
Ricky

Thanks I need to write this down and make some notes !!!
Patrick

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Its a three hour job for someone who knows what they are doing.

I would LOVE to see someone able to pull off a cat back install in 3 hours... thats cutting it really close, and on the verge of so fast mistakes will definitely occur. I would say 4-5 hours is more in line with a quality job. Tip adjustment alone will run an hour, seeing as it is going to take 2-3 times on each side to get it right.

PS- This is for a Track-Like system... a system with a crossover like B&B or a header install will run twice that time, easily.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't know why tip adjustment would take more than once. Hasn't for me. I measure the tip location and opening location before disassembly (from ground going up and the rear tire going rearward). Works like a champ. Now I welded mine myself and did not use Corsa, but I did it 3 times before getting the sound quality I wanted.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Don't know why tip adjustment would take more than once. Hasn't for me.

Viper SRT- You said it yourself, you "did not use Corsa." I have found the Corsa to be the most difficult of all to get the tips lined up correctly, as you have to shim them to make them flush, as well as the expansion when hot issue- you have to "guess" where they will end up when hot VS cold, put them there cold, and warm the system up. Then you have to check your guess by putting the sills on, and then correct at least once more... often 2 to 3 times to get them "just right."

OP
OP
F

FLYNLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't know why tip adjustment would take more than once. Hasn't for me.

Viper SRT- You said it yourself, you "did not use Corsa." I have found the Corsa to be the most difficult of all to get the tips lined up correctly, as you have to shim them to make them flush, as well as the expansion when hot issue- you have to "guess" where they will end up when hot VS cold, put them there cold, and warm the system up. Then you have to check your guess by putting the sills on, and then correct at least once more... often 2 to 3 times to get them "just right."

Daniel, How about the Mopar Race Exhaust? I think I might try to tackle the job with my mechanic tomorrow on my lift. I really don't feel like letting someone else ****** my car for 4 hours and charging me 400 bucks to install an exhaust. A blower is something completely different that id rather have a professional with experience tackle. How does the fitment on the mopar exhausts compare with the corsas and such? I was hoping since this exhaust comes with few pieces, and straight pipes, the install and lining wont be too dificult. What do you think?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
FLYNLO- The Mopar Race Exhaust, while not one I have experience installing, has always put me under the impression that is was about as easy as they come. Being designed by Dodge puts it to OEM specs- there should not be fitment issues, at least not nearly as complicated as Corsa's. Do be careful with the Tips though... If there is not positioning "tabs" on the Mopar exhaust like the Stock exhaust has, make sure its right before you button it up. Also, make sure you heat up the pipes to full temp and check the tips again, to make sure the Mopar doesnt suffer from the same ailment as the Corsa's do. I am not sure if it is the design itself, or the particular grade Stainless Corsa uses... but that damn exhaust moves back 1/2 inch in the hole, easy- maybe more.

viperrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took my mechanic 6.5 hrs to install high flow cats, Corsa track system, and skip shift eliminator. Charged me $260.

As for the Corsa system although it was warmed up to normal temp prior to tack welding, the tips still move rearward about 3/8".

Paul at Corsa has recently suggested via email that the system be installed 1/2" forward when cold to allow for the "natural expansion of stainless steel". They have also provided a hangar with the latest system.

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't know why tip adjustment would take more than once. Hasn't for me. I measure the tip location and opening location before disassembly (from ground going up and the rear tire going rearward). Works like a champ. Now I welded mine myself and did not use Corsa, but I did it 3 times before getting the sound quality I wanted.

Which did you go with? I have the Corsa Track with the RT cats and think the
sound is a little "buzzy", but with the CCI 3 disk inserts not too loud.
How is your sound? I know the V-10 sounds different than a V-8 but I was
hoping for a deeper rumble.

With your own lift the install should be no problem, I did mine on my back
with the car up on jack stands. Getting to the high fasteners on the cats
was interesting though. Took me about 6 to 9 hrs.

Herc :usa:

SpinDr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There we two issues my service tech dealt with during the install of the Mopar Race exhaust.

Thought I would pass them along.

First, he had to flip the stock hangers front to rear and rear to front in order to get the alignment correct on the race exhaust.

Secondly, the design of the press formed sealing/ clamping ring coming off the manifold is much different on the stock system than the race exhaust pipe connection.

The stock setup design (manifold to exhaust) is made to fit together almost like a male / female connection. Once in place, a v shaped clamp pulls both ends together and seals the connection all the way around the pipe.

However, the race exhaust is more like a traditional straight compression / slotted type fitting. Installed in the Manifold fitting, it has a lot of movement with nothing to use for alignment.

And I understand he had to go very, very slow in tightening the clamps to prevent crimping the pipe.

Making this connection at the manifold, without leaks, was the toughest part of the install.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the reason it takes so long to line up the exhaust is on account of the fact that stainless steel expands a lot more than steel when heated. Also I was amazed to find out how many dealers are selling vipers who are not viper certified and who do not have viper certified techs. These dealers are buying the cars wholesale from certified dealers and selling them to unsuspecting customers. I have found only 1 dealer in Connecticut who is the real McCoy and that is Pappas Dodge in New Britian, CT.