Loose harmonic damper bolt!

slither

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all, just for your info - I started installing a Paxton kit on my car this weekend (it's an '04 white mamba) and got to removing the stock crank pulley. I am putting on a new ATI damper so I proceeded to get out the breaker bar and socket to remove the bolt holding the damper onto the crank snout (this bolt should be torqued to 130 ft-lb.) and guess what - the stock bolt was not even finger tight! It actually had loosened about 2 or 3 threads from being finger tightened onto the damper, I was really kinda shocked. I read a post on here a while back about someone whose damper had removed itself from the crank while he was driving it and damaged the engine (I'll bet prettly badly!) glad I decided to put this kit on or the same probably would have happened to me. Anways, thought you all might like to know so you can check into it....

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
thats what happened on my silver srt. Guess what a week later the crank was dammaged and the car was a factory repurchase. Stop and have the car checked out b/f the blower install. This way thay can blame you or the blower for it just in case.

good luck

vd..

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yep, mine was loose too and eventually fell out. Didn't loose anything but did have to get towed in. Belts wouldn't turn water pump, alternator, etc. This car has had quite a few loose or improperly torqued bolts.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235