Difference between 96 RT/10 clutch and 97 RT/10 clutch/pressure plate?

Cal Cobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So I'm inquiring about ordering a clutch/pressure plate from a local Dodge dealer as we get a 25% VCA discount. They quote me MSRP $549.00, -25% VCA discount = $411.75.

prior to calling them, I checked the prices for MSRP list on makeitmopar.com to make sure the dealers aren't adding Viper Tax, and I see that the 96 RT/10 is quoted for:

DISC, Viper 92-96 MSRP $245.00 -25% VCA discount $183.75

but then they show the 97+ as the price quoted by the dealer:

DISC, Viper 97-05 MSRP $549.00 -25% VCA discount $411.75

So I'm getting the price for the newer model it seems. When I questioned them about the price difference, they said their catalog showed the 1996 part had been "superceeded" several times.

Now I'm thinking to myself that this is the same fricken tranny, so why does the dealer "default" or "superceed" as they state, to the higher priced part (even though it should be identical)???

Maybe if I could get the part# it would prevent them from giving me the "1997" clutch/pressure plate.

Any ideas?

Cal

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
92-05 Viper clutchs are the same #4848708AC it is made by LUK.
Don't buy it from the Dealer! Did I just say that? Yes I did!
Get the cluth from your local parts store for under $400!! LUK #05-088 and you will also get a throw-out bearing with the LUK kit and you don't get it with DC's kit! To get a T/O bearing from DC, you'll have to buy a slave cyl for $300!

That's where I get mine from!

OP
OP
C

Cal Cobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Wizard to the rescue! Thanks a lot for the breakdown on that Chuck. I'm replacing my clutch & pressure plate because my Viper Tech said that the pressure plate needs to be replaced as it's too hard to depress, and will lead to further trouble if not addressed. The car has about 27K miles on it, and they were easy miles. Does the T/O bearing/slave cyl need to be replaced, or will we not know until it's apart (which is what I suspect)??

RC Viper, I've thought about the ebay route, but have heard a few negative things about them...although after posing the question to the VCA board, the ebay clutches seem to be fine.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you get your tranny out, check the slave cyl for leaks and remove the T/O bearing then check the slave cyl housing for wear from that bearing.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Something that was not said is the clutch size changed in 1996 Gen II but the larger size is compatable with the old flywheel. So get the larger one. And you should find it for less than 300 on Ebay I believe (at least I did).

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to ask the Wizzardif you can help me... I raced my 96 GTS sunday and it would not shift into 3rd and 4th going down the track. SWhen I approached the timing booth, it would not downshift. I had to turn off the motor, put it into 1st and ease back to the RV and loaded it up. I changed out the Clutch Master cycl. and that didn't fix it so put in a new slave cyclinder and throwout bearing kit and still did not fix the problem. Everything was bled properly put the car will still not shift into any gear except with the motor shut off. What am I doing wrong?? I never had a drop of problem prior to this all of a sudden problem. I am lost as what to do now. It has good aftermarket heavy racing clutch in it, SPEC, and has been working great. 60' times 1.45.....Any ideas would sure be greatly appreciated....

Thanks
Roy

coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Roysviper, if it's not going into gear while running, that means the clutch disk is dragging/spinning and not stopping... Could be disk or pressure plate related but also seen dislodged pilot bearings cause drag. Might want to have them inspect the clutch at SPEC. They will look at it.

V

Venomiss

I would like to ask the Wizzardif you can help me... I raced my 96 GTS sunday and it would not shift into 3rd and 4th going down the track. SWhen I approached the timing booth, it would not downshift. I had to turn off the motor, put it into 1st and ease back to the RV and loaded it up. I changed out the Clutch Master cycl. and that didn't fix it so put in a new slave cyclinder and throwout bearing kit and still did not fix the problem. Everything was bled properly put the car will still not shift into any gear except with the motor shut off. What am I doing wrong?? I never had a drop of problem prior to this all of a sudden problem. I am lost as what to do now. It has good aftermarket heavy racing clutch in it, SPEC, and has been working great. 60' times 1.45.....Any ideas would sure be greatly appreciated....

Thanks
Roy

Call Chuck. Phone 914-763-3136

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally fixed.......I put in a new clutch master cyclinder, new slave cyclinder, and still the problem was not fixed.I now have put in a NEW SPEC +3 clutch and pressure plate, throwout bearing and New Aluminum Flywheel. Theres nothing left, ha. We have a big Pro Mod race at our local track this coming weekend and I am going to race my Viper that day . Way to much fun, ha....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456