Need paint code or match for Gen. 1 interior Gray fuzzy paint?

SHADOW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys who own Gen. 1 will know my issue here. The weird 'fuzzy' gray paint on the interior - I want to re-paint or touch-up just the triangular area around the door handle. It has scrapes and cuts in it. Is there a paint out there with this texture, or does anyone have a paint code? I know that I can paint it flat black, but I'd rather not. Also, I am still on a quest to replace those awful plastic door handles. I have great chrome handle surrounds, but I hate the actual handles. Please help.

Dave.

vipeuup

Viper Owner
Reaction score
shadow,

I just painted my A-pillar, and thats the same paint as the triangle thing on the door handle. The paint shop told me that its like a rubberized paint. Go to a good body shop, and they can mix you some. I used a hobby airbrush gun. To paint my pillar.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few years back I tracked this all the way to the paint manufacturer. At that time they did not even sell in the retail arena, OEM only. I asked why, and they said it took specialized prep, equipment and processing to apply. I was thinking all the while: "Well, I guess that this will be a big challenge for concours cars in 30 years :) "

I do not remember if this is the folks.... if so, they still do not sell for "Private Use..." even though it says: "Ease of Application: Alsa Soft Feeling Paint coating is simply sprayed on using traditional spray painting equipment." go figure.

www.alsacorp.com/products/softtouch/softtouch.htm

vipeuup

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jay,

Thanks for the link. This is what I was always looking for.

OP
OP
S

SHADOW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with that company - what they sell is a clear product, it is applied on top of paint to create that rubbery feel. They dont have colored paint to match Viper interior. Any other thoughts on this?

Dave.

PHILIP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had some paint mixed here in UN but have yet to apply it.

The paint actually contains about three separate colors and is similar to a very fine version of the the architectural paint coating "ZOLATONE". I believe that there is Teflon in the mixture which gives that feel.

It will be a while before I apply it but will let the forum know how I get on.

RobHook

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reaching way back in memory here, the "fuzzy" part of the dash's paint is actually a seperate foam-like product that is applied to the dash and then painted over. Anything with solids that big would never make it through a paint gun in the first place. We could probably match the color easily enough but the texture is going to be a problem. Something that immediatly comes to mind, however, are the grip additives used in latex paints when applied to floors are stairs. I'd bet there's one large enough to replicate this texture. I'm not sure they'd withstand being coated with the enamal or lacquer dash paint though.