What is AMSOIL ?

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have done some research on engin oil. No matter what I alway hit Amsoil pages on the web. It's looks like Amsoil has engaged a couple of Web programmers to flood the web search engines with Amsoil pages. Until now I didn't pay much attention to Amsoil. However since I am searching on engin oil I regular basis hit their pages.

I am wondering how much this company is reliable ?
It is just a question, I have no negative experience with Amsoil.

Any positive or negative feed back on Amsoil ?
Anybody knows their history (beside the one on their web page) ?
Behind the scene stories ?!

(Useless to give feed back on Mobil 1 or Red Line I am only interested in the Amsoil history)

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Amsoil is a product made and sold by pyramid-scheming scumbags, commonly known as Amway. As far as an oil goes, it has a pretty decent reputation, but I would never buy a drop of that stuff, since it is Amway crap.

acrdakota

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've used it for a looong time and it is very very good stuff. As for the pyramid scheme deal idunno, I buy it from a local guy who cuts me a killer deal.

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes Amsoil has been around for awhile, a customer of mine was selling the stuff back in 1975. I would have to see their claims substantiated by an independent lab,one that has NO financial interset in the company or product. Otherwise consider it snakeoil. IMHO

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Started using it in 1976. I believe they were the first synthetic API rated oil--1972. Have close to 1,000,000 miles with it in many vehicles. Only good luck. The Viper is Amsoil front to back. Engine oil for over 49,000 miles/Drive train for 34,000 miles. Over time, I have routinely gone 20,000 between changes on vehicles other than the Viper..using oil analysis. They have always had a 20,000 to 25,000 mile drain interval with full warranty for damage caused by the oil.

Started by a retired Air Force Korean War jet fighter pilot who wondered why something couldn't be developed for cars if jets were using synthetic stuff in them. (and the Germans developed them decades ago in either WW1 or WW2?). Originally was a diester based synthetic, but now I believe the base stock is the same as Mobil 1. Tom can fill in the technicalities. It's all about the additive package as Tom has taught us. Evidently Amsoil uses a good one.

As for the pyramid thing....I've never bought an Amway product, but the founder of Amway is a stalwart contributor to the party of business. Amway allowed him to be such. Amway was one of the first companies to use direct marketing as a tool for sales. I thought that's what business and free enterprise in America was supposed to be about....entrepreneurship? There are literally hundreds of companies employing these types of sales techniques. I don't see the problem?

Steve

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Amway is about pyramid marketing.
They have some folks who get in it and stay in it.
Those people make money by getting a cut from the much larger number of people who get in, sell to all their friends, aunts and uncles and then drop out when these folks stop buying.

The newcomers are told that they too can become distributors if their sales numbers are high enough. Many of these new folks buy lots of the products and stockpile them to increase their sales numbers.

There isn't anything wrong with direct marketing. The problem with Amway direct marketing is that the real pitch is to get other new folks to sell Amway and take a cut of their sales.

Amway isn't crooked but it depends on new people coming in, buying lots of product and then leaving the system.

I don't believe Amway is a good example of real straight direct marketing.
The Amway pitch is not to sell but to bring in newcomers.

Amway products, Amsoil?
I don't know, but I see no reason to buy from a slightly shady outfit when other good, solid products are available.

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Theoretically, If you used a non-stock product (Amsoil) in your Viper and a problem developed, could DC theoretically void your warranty repair by using a non-stock product?

This is coming from a guy that has an Easy Care aftermarket warranty that voided a $2500 transmission when they determinied that that my tires on my Dodge Ram 1500 were the next size (ONE FRIGGIN SIZE) larger than stock and reneged on the warranty saying that the larger tires placed an undo hardship on the tranny and the tranny bill was refused and totally my expense. In any event, everyone that ever considers an aftermarket warranty, please remember these 2 words: EASY CARE. I have since paid for my new tranny in addt to paying for new tires to reactivate the warranty.

PS EASY CARE IS NOT AN AFTERMARKET WARRANTY SERVICE FOR VIPERS BUT FOR MANY MANY DIFFERENT MAKES AND MODELS OF OTHER CARS.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Theoretically, If you used a non-stock product (Amsoil) in your Viper and a problem developed, could DC theoretically void your warranty repair by using a non-stock product?

This is coming from a guy that has an Easy Care aftermarket warranty that voided a $2500 transmission when they determinied that that my tires on my Dodge Ram 1500 were the next size (ONE FRIGGIN SIZE) larger than stock and reneged on the warranty saying that the larger tires placed an undo hardship on the tranny and the tranny bill was refused and totally my expense. In any event, everyone that ever considers an aftermarket warranty, please remember these 2 words: EASY CARE. I have since paid for my new tranny in addt to paying for new tires to reactivate the warranty.

PS EASY CARE IS NOT AN AFTERMARKET WARRANTY SERVICE FOR VIPERS BUT FOR MANY MANY DIFFERENT MAKES AND MODELS OF OTHER CARS.

I would have hired a Lawyer on this case, what BS :mad: :mad: Big Corperates putting the little man down :smirk:

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would not put it in my lawnmower. Not because it may be poor, but because I am not certain it is good.

Many of their products are not approved by the various petroleum rating systems (API, ACEA, etc). And their claims are just plain ridiculous.

But the single biggest concern is that they do not do wide scale testing of "standard" OEM products to validate their product in an actual and comparable engine, transmission, etc. And they do not work with OEMs to allow OEM testing (partly because their marketing method precludes use of their lubricants as a factory fill - "must be readily available").

All together, the fact that Amsoil has not conducted significant testing and OEMs have done near zero testing leaves the testing to their customers. Some (maybe even all) may be very satisfied for years and years. But I want someone else to test under extreme conditions to verify the products capability in the given application.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"I would not put it in my lawnmower. Not because it may be poor, but because I am not certain it is good."

Ron,Ron, Ron...........always the skeptic;). The stuff works great in lawn mowers,lawn tractors,snowblowers,**** eaters, etc. For many years, before oil injection, I ran the 100:1 mix in my snowmachines(sometimes leaner). That's 8oz to 6 gallons of gas. The **** eater gets 1.5 teaspoons per quart. They have a standing warranty for 100% replacement of any failure due to their products......Unused in over 30 years.

On another note........I hope you're planning on 'exercising' your car this week on Woodward. I got a few hundred feet down last Saturday night in a muscle car parade up here...over 200 cars...reminiscent of what we used to do in the late 60's and early 70's. Have fun!

Steve

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no, I mean NO, lubricant that has not caused a failure somewhere or sometime in some application (unless of course its use is very limited). That said the claim of zero failures, especially over 30 years, indicates blinders over their eyes.

And, unless they are privy to inside information, the customer has no idea if a given application is borderline for some aspect. For example I know of several applications where the difference between 2 viscocities (say 5w30 vs 0w20) is a high probability of engine bearing failure. Other applications where normal city type driving cycles result in sludging in as little as 10,000 miles. Try their claims in those applications and they will refer you right back to the OEM. But if you were following the "extended change interval" the OEM would rightfully deny the warranty, especially if the customer was honest and indicated they were not following the service policy. So the customer would be left holding the bag.

Yes, I will be at Woodward. Was there Monday in the SRT. Last night in the Durango (had to be at the zoo for a company event yesterday) and I will return tonight.

OP
OP
S

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very interesting all this information.
So basically there is no independant testing on Amsoil ?!

I am sure that a consummer group has tested it at least once.

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To say "there have been no failures" is misleading anyway. A more accurate way would be "There have been no failures REPORTED." Nevertheless, I have yet to see any proof that it is better than say Mobil One.

And even if it was proven to be better than Mobil One (or Royal Purple, etc.), I still wouldn't use it. If Amsoil was proven to be the best oil ever made I wouldn't use it, just because of the **** that peddle that crap.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I mis-spoke. What I should have said is that: To my knowledge, no claims have ever had to be paid. I have no idea what legal battles may or may not have been fought to make that claim. As for no reported failures being a more accurate description---If I ever had an engine failure--with lubrication being suspect--with any oil, I would be getting a sample analyzed immediately. To not do so would be just plain stupid.

I don't think a company which has been around for over 30 years, continually expanding over that time, would be in existence if they put out 'borderline' products which stuck it to the poor dimwitted buyer. There would have been many failures and they would have been rightfully sued and out of business early on. Ron, I think you're right about exceeding the OEM drain interval while under warranty. I think the Viper book calls out a 7500 drain interval for my car. I ususally go a little over 6,000. I probably did take a little risk with my other new vehicles as I changed them over at about 5,000 miles and went the extended interval--using oil analysis. Of course, I was driving these vehicles over 40,000 miles a year so the warranty was up in 10 months. As for using Amsoil at all while under warranty....I don't believe the warranty can be voided if the oil meets the stated criteria for use---and it does.

Anaconda........from your highly charged opinion of direct marketing techniques, I would have to think that you, or someone you know, was burnt bad by some unscrupulous company. That's too bad, but horror stories abound across all sectors of the business world from people that have been screwed or taken advantage of in some way,shape,or form....and never justly compensated. From what I've read, direct marketing helps fuel the engine that drives the economy of our country forward. Personally, I've chosen to earn a living much more conventionally.

In regards to which oil may be better: I can only refer you to do a search from a few years ago on the subject. My tracked and autocrossed 6,000 mile oil pretty much beat a babied Mobil 1 batch with much less mileage on it. The analysis results were interpreted by the oil guru himself, who is personally no fan of Amsoils for many of the reasons stated above.

BTW--Tom uses diesel oil in his car which I'm sure would have some impact on a warranty, were one in effect and a failure occur.

This is a worn out, beat up subject which takes up way too much time. Every once in a while, for some foolish reason, I dive back in.

Steve

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have never been involved with selling Amway crap, and neither has anyone I know. I just have heard numerous horror stories, and know enough about their rampant misrepresentations to know that is a classic pyramid scheme. I can't think of any other more pronounced example of a textbook pyramid scheme than Amway. Following scammers and scam techniques has always fascinated me, and I have done extensive reading on the subject.

Cal Cobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have never been involved with selling Amway crap, and neither has anyone I know. I just have heard numerous horror stories, and know enough about their rampant misrepresentations to know that is a classic pyramid scheme. I can't think of any other more pronounced example of a textbook pyramid scheme than Amway. Following scammers and scam techniques has always fascinated me, and I have done extensive reading on the subject.

I think you're confused, Amsoil has nothing to do with Amway, it's just a coincidence they are similarly named.

Cal

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My impression from reading this thread is that there is NOBODY here, that would be interested in making a little extra money, and going to a business meeting tomorrow night at 7PM? :D

Of course i cant tell you what it is till we get there, so dont even bother asking.

LOL

RobHook

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, one thing that I was interested in a while back was the Amsoil bypass oil filter. From what I've heard, it slowly filters your oil (seperate from the supply lines) such that even the smallest impurities are caught in the spiral core filter. Oil that's been in the car for several thousand miles still looks new. Between this and something to balance the PH (Marvel Mystery Oil) it would seem you can get quite a bit of life out of oil. Still wouldn't do this on a Viper though. Maybe my Honda.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456