Anyone in Germany???

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am heading to Munich for the first time. I am in dire need of help to not get ripped off.
Danka

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the current exchange rate, it's hard to not get that feeling. I have found nothing in Munich that's a rip except the Stein / Cuckoo clock stores in the Marienplatz and the Hofbrauhaus areas. AND do not order a coke at the Planet Hollywood! What a rip!

I try to stay away from Munich during Oktoberfest. What a zoo.

One of the first things I did was go up the Olympic tower. It gives you an Eiffel tower type view of the city, and on a clear day the Alps. Awesome.

Dachau is a sobering place, especially the crematorium.

Take a day tour to Neuschwanstein castle. If you can walk up the hill instead of the horse drawn carraige, you are in good shape!

Don't miss the English Garden on a sunny Sunday afternoon. Don't bring a video camera or clothing. You'll fit right in.

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't miss the English Garden on a sunny Sunday afternoon. Don't bring a video camera or clothing. You'll fit right in.

No clothing? What is it? A nudist garden???

And how come no one has mentioned the real reason to go to Germany....THE AUTOBAHN???!!??!

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, the English garden is full of **** people. Europeans are not anything like Americans when it comes to modesty. They don't always see ****** and sex as the same thing. Very refreshing. :)

The Autobahn is the best driving experience ever. As long as you pick your times and places. otherwise it's just like America, traffic. If you are anywhere near Munich in the summer or Oktoberfest it can be like LA, or the capital beltway. :( Most of the time, it's best not to have a car. Public transport is dirt cheap. Get an ISAR card at the main train station (Hauptnahnhof) for about $30-$50 a week! It gives you a huge area to travel in if you get all 12 zones. Imagine what a tank of gas will cost at about $2.00 per liter!

I would drive north towards Leipzig for a thrill. The A9 past the airport. The road from Munich to Ulm to Stuttgart is great too, at night. Ulm has an unbelievable Cathedral.

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
forget the autobahn, just take your hire car for a few laps around The Ring if you get the chance. I was chatting there to guy a from Toronto who did exactly that, he didnt realise they let anything go around, he was in a new diesel merc but still had a great time

OP
OP
got one

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Guys! Sounds fun. Any recomendations on places to stay...I want cheap...I need to save for holland and budapest.

Hell, I don't have to stay in munich either, if there is a town near by?

Viper Guys rock!

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eching is nearby to Munich. I stayed there on my last trip because at the hotels in the city were full or $$$$$. The hotel was called the Hockmaier (spelled different in Deutsch) so good luck finding it on a website! It was very nice, quiet, and cheap. It is the third stop on the S1 from the airport and 7 stops from the inner city connections (about 25 minutes) Here's a great website. Click on MVV Network, Network Maps, then Urban Rail Network. It looks like spagetti at first, but this map is the key to easy travel in the region.

http://www.mvv-muenchen.de/en/index.html