New 14'' SRT-10 Breaks (pics)

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New 14\'\' SRT-10 Breaks (pics)

I have just got this kit from Roe racing at 17:00PM. Everything is installed.
The front breaks are terrific, the effectiveness is unbelievable. I can lock the front wheels at ANY speed. The rear is a 40mm upgrade. But that just not enough. I have too much force in the front. I even removed the proportional spring.

The 40mm rear kit:
7358127_2709.JPG

The 14'' front kit:
7358127_2718.JPG

My original breaks
7358127_2720.JPG

Mounting hardware
7358127_2723.JPG

Mounting hardware
7358127_2726.JPG

The kit mounted
7358127_2721.JPG

The final result
7358127_2730.JPG

OP
OP
S

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: New 14\'\' SRT-10 Breaks (pics)

The entire kit was 1400$ + S&H.
Pads + stainless steel lines + Disks + Calipers + hardware. Well below the other 14'' kits for 2600$.

However I have got a trouble. I have vibrations when breaking. I did have time to figure out what's wrong.
I will work on the vibration this evening.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

However I have got a trouble. I have vibrations when breaking.
If there are vibrations while cruising, it's most likely due to unbalanced/defective rotors. If the vibrations only appear under braking, then most likely you just need to take it easy for the 1st 100 miles or so of braking. The pads need to bed into the discs properly. Also check that the pads are seated properly in the calipers. Avoid aggressive braking for the 1st 100 miles or so.

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Did/can you put those on a pre-2000 (non-ABS) GTS? I don't know the year of your ride. The kit looks awesome. Might do it myself but I don't have ABS.

Wifey's Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

His car looks like it's black so most likely a 99 or 00. I just spoke to Roe about this kit, you were the first one. I may order it myself.

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just a question from someone still learning about these things.

I also have 40 mm rears (from Tom Hayden).
I have stock front brakes.
I have the prop valve removed.

At Putnam this past weekend, I repeatedly locked the front (inside) wheel on heavy braking; also at Gingerman prior to that.
Flat spotting tires is costing me money so I'm trying to modulate better (obviously no ABS).

I think the problem is the PFC 01 front pads bite considerably more than the BM3's I used previously.

Anyway, the question is... why do I want more front brake if I'm already locking up??

OP
OP
S

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Anyway, the question is... why do I want more front brake if I'm already locking up??

In order to reduce the stress on your breaking system. Your breaks will last longer and you will be able to stop your Viper easily at nearly any speed.

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score

In order to reduce the stress on your breaking system. Your breaks will last longer and you will be able to stop your Viper easily at nearly any speed.

I'm sorry..this makes no sense to me. I had the fronts locking with OEM equipment, why increase front braking only? It seems to me Viper brakes are not balanced to begin with and need more rear brake. If increasing the fronts I would think you'd need to increase the rears even more.

I not looking for longevity but rather better braking overall.

My viper seemed to being dancing on it's nose under heavy braking and braking into mid speed corners tended to lock up one of the fronts. Neither a good feeling.

YMMV
Carl

OP
OP
S

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Carl, I agree with you that under certain circumstances OEM front break will lockup, espetially in turns. Have you tried to lock it up above 150mph ? More difficult isn't ? Depending on how you drive your viper, the OEM break will not stand up to the stress. So it is not just about locking the breaks. But I agree with you that I could add more power to the rear wheel breaks too. I will figure out what to do regarding the rear breaks.

If you participate to track events with your stock Viper I am sure that the organizers will not let you drive more than 4-5 consecutive tours on the track. This is due to the the "weakness" of the stock breaks on track.

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I hit 140s in the straights with heavy braking at the end. Lock up doesn't seem to occur for me anyway until just before I get ready to turn in. I would not want to lock up a tire at 150 or 140 or even 100. The thump thump thump would drive me nuts the rest of the event.

From what I hear, Tom's got a good deal of info on the rears.

For running ViperDays there is a point penality for me to change from OEM to aftermarket or SRT10 brakes. I can't do that unless I make other changes (removing stuff) without bumping a class. The fact that I can run OEM brakes doesn't seem to be an issue or a concern for failure.

Carl

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Schulman,
try going with the rear calipers off an ABS car. They have 43mm pistons instead of the 40s you put on. That may help balance your system.
then you can sell me your 40s.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth