Is there a Gel Battery that actually fits the GTS?

96 B&W GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a gel battery that actually fits the GTS? I read all the past posts and you guys recommended the Optima red top. I tried it and I did not fit. I really did not like the idea of "stretching" or what I call bending the stock tray. I just spent a few hours repainting the tray and don’t want it to rust again? I am sure that someone out there has a better solution. Thanks

2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read somewhere that guys were fliping their Optima Reds on the side in order for them to fit. They Said that Gel batteries dont leak at all. Has anyone done this? If so how did you hold it down?

FlyBryViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Several Viper Days participant, myself included, are using the Odyssey Dry Cell battery PC1200MJT. You can go to www.batterysolutionsinc.com , click on Odyssey, then automative, and see all their models.
By the way, have left my keys on for over an hour, with a completely hot motor after a track session, and the car startted just fine. You can not get a better battery for the money if you want one this small and light! There is no fluid to leak and it is housed in a metal box - I just bolted it to the factory battery tray!

SNAKE BITE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Definately Odyssey Batterys are the BEST(I use them in all my off-road vehicles). I called them before replacing my battery but they said they didn't have one to fit, so I ended up getting the Optima red top and it fit fine.

If others have found an Odyssey that worked, I would get that without question.

GALA-96-GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So the Odyssey PC1200MJT will fit in the 1996 GTS? I wanted to verify that it is the same setup as the 2001 GTS.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard (did not confirm) that Optima has a new smaller one. You might want to call them.

OP
OP

96 B&W GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the responses. I guess the Odyssey PC1200MJT is the best dry cell for the GTS. It sounds like the Optima red top only fits the RT/10 without flipping it on its side.

But how are you holding it down the Odyssey to the tray. In the photo it does not look like there is a place to attach the factory hold down to.

Viblur

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Flipped a Redtop instead of the stretch and fashioned a hold down strap.. Been in place for over a year, works great...

FlyBryViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Odyssey has a metal jacket, which you can pry it out of. Drill holes in jacket and through factory battery tray. Insert bolts, put battery back into metal jacket and install in factory tray linning-up the bolts to the holes you drilled in the tray. Bolt down with nylok nuts. Finished. Mine has never moved in a full season of Viper Days, and I have accidentally pounded a few of the curbs!

Eric H

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok, heres the verdict on the Optima redtop.

I got it fit by turning it on its side, i then used metal banding and a long bolt to strap it in place, its very secure and isnt going anywhere, it would fit easier if you have a terminal puller and remove the top posts, otherwise it wont fit upright. I just didnt feel like buying a terminal puller.