Road & Track - Zo6 vs. Viper

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just received the October issue or R&T. Big 9 page write up on the Zo6. Also, a hard card advertisement from GM in the same issue touting guess who? Yep, Zo6. Some interesting numbers:

GM's ad claims the Z06 to run 0-60 in 3.7 sec. and the 1/4 mile in 11.7 sec. @ 125 mph. Advertised weight is 3,132 lbs.

R&T's bests were 0-60 in 4.2 sec. and the 1/4 mile in 12.3 sec. @ 116.6 mph.

Here's the BEST part, an exact quote from this issue:

"In terms of raw acceleration, the Zo6 is world-class quick, though not quite a match for its cross-town rival, the Dodge Viper SRT-10. Our vBox test gear clocked a 4.2 second 0-60 run, nearly reaching this speed in 1st gear, where the Dodge sprints there in 4.0; likewise, the Zo6 dispatches the quarter-mile in 12.3 sec. at 116.6 mph, while its V-10 powered adversary cranks out a 12.1 at 119.3. The Viper "feels" quicker too in a roll-on situation, its extra 1.3 liters of displacement practically punting you forward, versus the still-forceful but more linear surge of the Zo6."

Say whatever you will about R&T but I like the way that reads. Zo6 is undeniably very impressive. :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa:

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeh I enjoyed that article-I would take ANY of the cars they compared!

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just received the October issue or R&T. Big 9 page write up on the Zo6. Also, a hard card advertisement from GM in the same issue touting guess who? Yep, Zo6. Some interesting numbers:

GM's ad claims the Z06 to run 0-60 in 3.7 sec. and the 1/4 mile in 11.7 sec. @ 125 mph. Advertised weight is 3,132 lbs.

R&T's bests were 0-60 in 4.2 sec. and the 1/4 mile in 12.3 sec. @ 116.6 mph.

Here's the BEST part, an exact quote from this issue:

"In terms of raw acceleration, the Zo6 is world-class quick, though not quite a match for its cross-town rival, the Dodge Viper SRT-10. Our vBox test gear clocked a 4.2 second 0-60 run, nearly reaching this speed in 1st gear, where the Dodge sprints there in 4.0; likewise, the Zo6 dispatches the quarter-mile in 12.3 sec. at 116.6 mph, while its V-10 powered adversary cranks out a 12.1 at 119.3. The Viper "feels" quicker too in a roll-on situation, its extra 1.3 liters of displacement practically punting you forward, versus the still-forceful but more linear surge of the Zo6."

Say whatever you will about R&T but I like the way that reads. Zo6 is undeniably very impressive. :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa:

Interesting that Motor Trend (on newsstands now) got 11.5@ 127mph, 0-60 3.7 out of the Z06. 12.3@116mph is what the C5 Z06 with over 100hp LESS ran. Car and Driver ran a 11.7@125mph.

12.3 doesn't add up....

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or possibly GM supplied ringers for the recent tests.

We will know the truth when they start hitting the streets (with drivers that are not afraid to test a Viper like I have come upon so far).

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wait, let me get this straight. The Viper will still kick the crap out of the ZO6?! :headbang:
Maybe they knew that and that's why they are building the Blue Balls Vette! :p

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or possibly GM supplied ringers for the recent tests.

Exactly it HAS to be a ringer because that is the only way anycar can be faster than any Viper.

Yep, it HAS to be a ringer alright.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought we were comparing two model years of vette. So why the anti-Viper comment.

There are several possible reasons why a C6Z06 ran 11.5@127 and a C5Z06 ran 12.3@116:

- 100 hp actually provides that level of benefit
- The C5 test was run in poor conditions
- The C6 test was run in incredible conditions
- Motor Trends correction factors favored the C6 test and disfavored the C5 test
- The C5 was underpowered (i.e. less than the rating)
- The C6 was overpowered (i.e. more than the rating)
- Driver differences
- Vehicle preparation

Now which one of these or others you believe is up to you. But I believe we have enough evidence to say the C5 result is on par with stock tired C5, so the questions go more toward the C6 results. Since the test cars must be GM provided (i.e. they are not on sale yet I do not believe), GM has the potential to impact the test. Whether they did or not will be determined over the long run. Did they or didn't they? That is the question. So how much do you trust GM?

BTW Mopar426 why don't you change your name to Chevy427? It would be more accurate given the composite of your posts to date.

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW Mopar426 why don't you change your name to Chevy427? It would be more accurate given the composite of your posts to date.

Sorry if I have critical thinking skills that allows me not to be biased. I'm not the one who immeadiately calls "riged" when something doesn't add up.

Do you realize how much of a difference 127mph vs 116mph is??

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My hp calculator shows the C5 at 116 mph having 393 hp with a driveline efficiency of 88% and the C6 at 127 mph having 529 hp, again at an 88% driveline efficiency. That indicates a 136 hp increase between the two versus the stated 100 hp differences. So something is out of whack. You can blame the Viper world but we are comparing a vette to a vette. The C5 calulation comes in pretty darn close to reality. So what is up with the C6? The only way I can get it to work is to state a driveline efficiency of 94%. That is unworldy so something else must be at play. So what is your guess?

OP
OP
R

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As stated, the real truth will come when they start hitting the streets. I'm sure the car is capable of sub 12 sec. 1/4 mile times just like a WELL driven Viper is on the right track under the right conditions. The overall flavor of the article is very positive towards the Zo6. It's just nice to see that 1. R&T is still giving the Viper some credit and 2. at least one set of tests shows that the car isn't necessarily the total everything killer right out of the bag. One h*ll of a buy at $65k.

The fact that the Viper and the new Zo6 are American made is something for all of us to truly be proud of. Competition is good. I just hope DCX sees enough benefit to invest in shaving a few 100 lbs and uping the ante in the HP arena on the Viper. They could easily take the Viper to 550-600 hp. If they did that and lost some weight... wow! :usa: :usa: :usa:

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is unworldy so something else must be at play. So what is your guess?
Engine that just accidentally happened to be made from heads with combustion chambers on the smaller side of the casting tolerances and pistons with crown heights above the wrist pin on the tall side of the allowable range, all painstakingly hand assembled with deburring and blueprint level balancing - oh and don't forget - the "preproduction" programming in the ECU that happened to run a bit leaner and have 5 or so more degrees of timing since the magazine is known to use 93 octane fuel as opposed to the 91 the true production car will be tuned for. Oops and did I forget to mention the short use only fill of ultra-synthetic lubricants from engine oil to rear end gear oil? All worth 30-50 crank hp easy and still "production."

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My hp calculator shows the C5 at 116 mph having 393 hp with a driveline efficiency of 88% and the C6 at 127 mph having 529 hp, again at an 88% driveline efficiency. That indicates a 136 hp increase between the two versus the stated 100 hp differences. So something is out of whack. You can blame the Viper world but we are comparing a vette to a vette. The C5 calulation comes in pretty darn close to reality. So what is up with the C6? The only way I can get it to work is to state a driveline efficiency of 94%. That is unworldy so something else must be at play. So what is your guess?

Not sure possible driver error/ conditions etc.

But you aren't going to get THAT much varience btw mags. You are also not going to run idential time s after adding 100hp either.

So who knows, but it still doesn't make since.

That's like say a SRT10 runs 11.8's, DC ups the power to 600hp and it still runs 11.8/ Something somewhere is off.

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fact that the Viper and the new Zo6 are American made is something for all of us to truly be proud of. Competition is good. I just hope DCX sees enough benefit to invest in shaving a few 100 lbs and uping the ante in the HP arena on the Viper. They could easily take the Viper to 550-600 hp. If they did that and lost some weight... wow! :usa: :usa: :usa:

I could not agree more. :2tu:

ViperRichRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone has ever noticed, but R&T times are always slower than Car & Driver test times. I say bring in on Z06!!!

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the C5 Z06 is 50 lbs lighter than the C6 Z06

the C5 has more agrresive tranny ratios than the C6 Z06

the C5 Z06 has non run flat tires and the C6 Z06 has runflat

when you add all this up this is what explains the differences in the times. the 100 horsepower advantage that the new C6 Z06 has is shown in its big trap speed increase over the older C5 Z06. but because the older vette had the previosuly mentioned mods that i stated above the et on the 1/4 mile only increases marginally. got it :2tu:

so to summarize: trap speed = hp and torque (C6 Z06)

et = weight, gearing and better tires (C5 Z06)

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn, I wish I had my copy of R&T.
Are you saying they compared an alleged C6 ZO6 to the SRT-10 head to head (same driver, day, etc.)?

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone has ever noticed, but R&T times are always slower than Car & Driver test times. I say bring in on Z06!!!

FWIW R&T ran a 12.3 in the SRT-10, so you know the times are off.

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's more than drag racing involved in the net zero end sum game of life.

Impressive, but not everything and certainly not the benchmark.

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
[quote
Do you realize how much of a difference 127mph vs 116mph is??

[/QUOTE]

Mopar426 - Please do not tell you me you actually think the new Z06 will pull 127mph in the quarter... That is just completely ridiculous! With that said, 116 does seam a bit low for 505hp. My guess would be 121-123 out of a production car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper