Penske Coilovers

gallaugher

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know a good dealer who sells Penske coilovers complete with springs? I've surfed around only to find HRP World. Are there others?

Also, are the Penske shocks available for the Viper considered better than the Koni shocks. Anyone have experience with one or the other, or both? Are Motons best of all?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Erik Messley [email protected] is the undisputed master of Viper suspensions. Not only was he fast himself but he has the great PMUM on his resume.

He recommends Penske. I have a used set (2K miles) I might consider selling if you are interested.

OP
OP
G

gallaugher

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do they fit a 1993? Can you email pictures to my address? Are Penske's aluminum shock bodied? Thanks.

I'd still like to know how Penske's compare to Koni's? And what about Moton and Snake-Oyl? Are Snake-Oyl reputable? Who builds them? I've never heard of them except for Vipers.

Also, I heard Koni has the best overall name in racing?

vipeuup

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have John H. KW coilovers on my GTS. It is tight. Ted over at Valaya racing installed them. The ride is race car like. I love it. The rebound on these shocks are adjustable.

$2,200.00

[image]
9579Henn_shocks-med.jpg
[/image]

OP
OP
G

gallaugher

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was told that spending money on new Penske shocks for a road car is too excessive. Bluntly, a waste of money. That they're made for racing and for those with experience.

I was also told that Hypercoil makes the best springs in the world. Guaranteed to never sag nor change dynamics like other springs do. But they're not cheap.

So unless someone is selling a used set that'll fit a 1993, I guess I should look into the less expensive Koni coilovers.

Does anyone have experience with Snake-Oyl or TNT? It'd be great to get some more advice. Someone out there must have tried them or heard something?

Thanks for posting the KWs. I never thought of those.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are your stock shocks blown out? What are you trying to accomplish? What exactly are you looking for? You ask about Penske, Koni and Moton then come back and say they are a waste.

For refrence the stock Koni ACR shocks cost about 4k.

OP
OP
G

gallaugher

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never said Penske, Moton and Koni are a waste.

I was told Penske shocks on a road car are too excessive. A waste of money. They're made for racing and for those with racing experience. Is there truth to this? I believe so.

If your racing, of course Penske is not a waste. Clearly it's one of the best! Along with Moton and top-of-the-line Koni. And Hypercoil makes the best spring.

This is a similar opinion I heard from two reputable exotic car tuners. I just thought to post it to see if others agree or disagree. Definitely I'd like to hear more opinions and experiences. Especially with the lower cost sets - Koni, Snake-Oyl, TNT.

I've a 1993. I don't want the enormous gap between the wheel and body. Instead I want to lower it. But I prefer to use a coilover set rather than a spring set. Why? Because I heard changing springs will indeed lower the car, and enhance the exotic nature, and slightly improve handling, but a spring set such as Eibach is too bouncy and has limited control compared to a coilover.

vipeuup

Viper Owner
Reaction score
gallugher,

your wasting your time. Give John H. a call. and get the KW suspension. German made coilovers. Motons, JRZs, penskes. Dont even come with springs. Youll be spending a grip of money. Also, dont buy those Koni coilovers. There not TRUE coilovers. But a threaded sleeve that slides on the Koni shocks. Also the threaded sleeve tend to move, and cause some slapping noise. Tell John, that Linstun sent you. :2tu:

01sapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gallaugher: The Penske's are GREAT for a street car and don't let anybody tell you differently. If you instal them you will never look back. My car is the best riding viper I have ever been in, RT/10 - GTS - or ACR. The guys I bought my car from race two Comp Coupes. They used Penske's then switched over to Moton's, but have come back to only run Penske's again.

My car sits level and low, and I think this body looks a lot better without the stock hillbilly "rake". As far as a good vendor, I don't know who to reccommend. My set up was $4K, but I think most of the solutions mentioned above ar in the $2K range. I'll see if I can find you a good lead on obtaining a set, and the associated costs...

I think as with most things in life, you get what you pay for.

vipeuup

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sapphire,
You havent been in a ride in my viper. It rides the best :2tu:

OP
OP
G

gallaugher

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Todd: Thanks. I do want to get it right the first time. So maybe I should spend extra now instead of later. I'll definitely consider it. If I go Penske, I'll go through Heffner's. Thanks again.

KWs are nice and well built. No doubt. But I prefer to buy American. And Roger Penske's first official race was in Maryland, where I was born and raised.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go big or stay home. KW variant 2s are a compromise. They are only rebound adjust, no compression adjust. If you do any performance driving of any kind you will kick yourself for not getting at least two-way adjustable.

As I said, Erik Messley is the King of suspension setup. If he said to use rubber bands for shocks it would be because he kicks everybody's butts with them.

vipeuup

Viper Owner
Reaction score
heres are prices of Penske shocks from DC performance

Single Adjustable $475ea

Double Adjustable $695ea

Single piston, high bleed/needle nozzle compression

Double Adjustable/Plus $895ea

Dual piston, convertible to triple adjust

Triple Adjustable $1,250ea SPRINGS NOT INCLUDED

If your not going to track your car. Then, theres no need to blow money on shocks like these.

OP
OP
G

gallaugher

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I go with double-adjustable Penske dampers, then I'd go with Hypercoil springs.

So what spring length and rate should I choose? I'm going to ask advice from EMI and Heffner. Anyone else have experience, hopefully with a 1993?

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a small tip for you:

It ain't what's on the outside of the shock - it's what's inside that counts. Valving is the key.

vipeuup

Viper Owner
Reaction score

vipeuup

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does anyone know if they make ones that you can adjust the compression? So far on these you can only adjust the rebound.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know if they make ones that you can adjust the compression? So far on these you can only adjust the rebound.

Holy smokes! A three year old post?

Anyways, Penske shocks are both compression and rebound adjustable, so are Motons. Any truly performance shock will have both compression and rebound adjustable.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
for those with GEN 1 cars...be careful it will cost you lots of cash to go with a set up as talked about with in this thread. Lots of modifications will need to be made.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper