SOLD the Yellow GTS - Bought Yellow 2005 Vette Convertible

YELL03

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but continuing back problems and some other reasons prompted the Trade-in of my 2001 Yellow Viper GTS.

I purchased a 2005 Yellow Corvette Convertible, AUTOMATIC, can you believe it.

My old man (67 years old) and my wife were BIG reasons for the sale.

Neither could drive the Viper (not comfortably at least), and the looks on their faces enjoying their DREAM CAR was worth my giving up the Viper.

My old man lives 7 doors down and I presented him with his own keyfob (push button start) and a garage door opener.

HERE ARE SOME PICS:

http://groups.msn.com/92LXpic1/shoebox.msnw?Page=1

I must admit the C6 is pretty quick and at least I still have my Ram Air to play with when I want a 6-speed.

My old man was so happy he even offered to pay $500/month towards the Vette if he can have it for 1 day on the weekends and 1 day a week. I told him take it whenever you'd like, you only live once. If it is on the garage just take it.

We own a business together so I was GLAD to do this for him.

I never believed I could sell my Yellow 03 Cobra, but the Viper was too good to pass up, now I can't believe the Viper is gone. I won't be running 11s anymore for a while. The Ram Air is heads, cam, rear, and tires away.

Oh well, two mid-high 12 second cars is OK!

It was a pleasure guys and I'll keep checking in,

Howard

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have a big heart and I can tell you are a great son.

Enjoy the new ride!

S

SUN RA KAT

Beautiful car and legit reason.

At least you kept the Vette Yellow! :2tu:

OP
OP
Y

YELL03

Viper Owner
Reaction score
$10,000 for an automatic, that would kill the value of the car.

You guys are great, I thought I'd be banished.

For one, I usually HATE Typical Vette guys, the kind that buy automatics and think they have the FASTEST car on the road. The Viper was always ready to teach them a lesson.

BUT...

I just gotback from a 1&1/2 hour cruise.

I have to admit. This Vette in automatic is AWESOME.

I mean 1/8-1/4 pedal and this car just scoots out from a dig, I only have 100 miles on it so I am not going WOT.
I don't think a Manual Vette would beat this if not driven by a competent driver.

The exhaust is pretty quiet, but barks nicely when you get on it, much better tome than the C4s and C5s at part and heavy throttle. It actually sounds smooth and aweet.

Howard

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of the sale, but the C6 is still a great car. The LS motors responds well to mods It will NOT take much to run 11.XX in that car. :2tu:

OP
OP
Y

YELL03

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would love to have a 11 second car again.

I'll report back and let you know how it is running after 500-1000 break-in miles before I hammer it.

It definitely pushes you back in the seat, but different than the Viper or Cobra. The acceleration is very linear, as opposed to the BRUTAL torque of the Viper and to a lesser extent the 03 Cobra.

Being impartial, I do feel it would take a stock to non-pullied Cobra in a run, definitely with a bad driver from a dig. A REAL driver in the Cobra would be a great run and the Cobra would probably win at the top end, but it would be fun.

As far as a Viper, no comparison in acceleration, but be on alert from a dig, it could make you sweat, on a roll just stay in the right gear nd it would be no contest.

BTW - My Viper is at Reedman-Toll Autoworl, in PA.

If you know anyone who might want it, it is a STRONG runner and was well maintained. CLEAN as a whistle with 13166 miles on the odo.

Just PM me or ask in this thread, I'll give you any info you need and even a phone # and cool salesperson to deal with.

Remember, this Viper cranked out a 11.6@120+ on Kumhos.

It has never run worse than a 12.6, that run was on Michelin Pilots, had to get out of it on the 1-2 shift and missing 4th gear.

On Kumhos it has never run worse than 11.9 and never less than 120 trap. 60's on conservative launch are 1.8 all runs except my BALLS to the WALL 11.6 run.

Howard

Forged Horsemen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to sell my 7,800 mile 99 GTS black with connolly and stripes. Not for the honorable reasons as a good son and husband you have. But for good business reasons. Want to expand my enclosed car transport business and need to buy more equipment including a flat bed tow truck for low profile cars like the Viper. If all continues to go well maybe I'll buy another in a few years. By the way I like the new ZO6 reminds me of the 1967 L88 big block Vettes what a Vette that was. Still I have and always will have a soft spot in my heart for Vipers.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$10,000 for an automatic, that would kill the value of the car.

Agreed... just wanted to throw it out there. :)

If you HAD to step down from a Viper, you can't go wrong with a Vette. It's very understandable and rather touching. The good thing is that at least for another year or so, they will still be relatively rare. We would never banish you from here. You butt is in a Vette, but your heart is in a Viper. :2tu:

jdavis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure you and your father will enjoy the Vette although, I am sure that you hated to see the GTS go. They are "near" super cars that offer a refined ride and plenty of creature comforts. You both will appreciate the stability control which can be partially or completely defeated. Did you get the 3:15 gears and the Z51 package?

OP
OP
Y

YELL03

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Only oprions I got were:

3.15 rear
Yellow paint
Polished rims

I got a Vette Convertible with a MSRP of $54685 - there were Coupes that cost more on the lot.
There was a Yellow coupe for $56000+.

All the other Verts were 61000-63000.

The Viper is at Reedman's in Langhorne - HUGE PLACE - one of the LARGEST dealerships in the Country I believe.
They gave me $45000 for the Viper, I am sure you could buy it for $49,900.

I am a Mustang guy deep down, and the VIPER made me feel like a celebrity, and I feared nothing on the road, the Viper was AMAZING.

I gotta tell you, you gotta TEST drive the Vette Vert just for fun, it is really a great car. Pull up in a Viper and you can TEST DRIVE anything you wznt under $140,000.

As far as honorable reasons to sell a Viper, making a business move is up there, you will surely get another one, a sacrifice like that always gets rewarded.

In your auto-transport business, I think the best thing you can do is have INSTANT ONLINE QUOTES - keep your pruce competitive and you will do great.

Thanks all,

Howard

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The C6 is a very competent car... I got rid of my auto C6 to get into a GTS. I bought the auto so my wife could drive it, but since then bought her an 300 SRT8 - so it was on to my dream car.

Getting it into the 11's wouldn't take much work at all by the way...
Just a supercharger.... 11.0 @ 128
You must be registered for see images attach

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wondered how this guy found a new 2005 Vette on the lot. I know GM is having trouble moving cars but that should have been a much better deal on a closeout like that.