Crankcase capacity in an '03?????

Don Hiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Crankcase capacity in an \'03?????

The manual says 10 quarts, but the technician said the dipstick read "Full" with 8 quarts.

HELP!!!!

Don

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Crankcase capacity in an \'03?????

Mine took the amount stated (I think it was 10.5) but now takes over 11 (Paxton). Can't see how it takes only 8. I assume you have the stock oil pan.

OP
OP
D

Don Hiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ron,

This morning, I checked after the car had been sitting for 8-10 hours. The dipstick showed about a quart low, so I added a quart and brought it up to full. Could my dipstick be too long? Ever heard of that??

Thanks for the info.............

Don

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Not sure. Note the add oil zone for a Viper is 2 quarts I believe. So if it was at the bottom of the "safe" zone then it is really 2 quarts down.

1 quart down is not a major thing unless you are going on a track. On track I overfill mine by 1 qt to prevent uncovering the pick-up in left turns. In general over filling is not good (allow crank windage to whip up the oil and can result in highly aerated oil. But in order to prevent starvation it is a good thing.

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

With the filter it takes 11 qts!

Right from the 03 service manual
1563114_14061.jpg

Make sure the dirty oil has time to completely drain out.
I let mine drain overnight and it takes 11 qts everytime!

OP
OP
D

Don Hiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well Damn.....................

In my manual, on page 170, it states that the crankcase (and filter) will hold 10 quarts. Did DC revise the crankcase capacity at some period during 2003?????? Or, do they just want to keep us guessing????

I think I'm going to stop fretting about it as long as the dipstick shows somewhere in the operational range, i.e., above "add 2 quarts".

Thanks for the info............

Don

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Don, I believe that you are looking in the "Owners Manual" on page 170. You should pick up the "Service Manual" for the 03 Viper. It's a thick book with all the details and specs for the year Viper. (Some specs change from year to year!) Consider it the bible for your Viper!
I picked mine up at E-bay and you should have no problem doing the same.
Good luck. :2tu:

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

SERVICE MANUALS HAVE BEEN KNOWN TO BE WRONG.
No one on the face of the earth ties up a service bay in their garage to let the oil drain out over night. That said this is what my late production 2003 SRT-10 Viper takes for fluid changes after sitting on the lift draininf for about 15 minutes.

10 QTS WITH A NEW OIL FILTER.

3 QTS IN THE TRANSMISSION OR UNTIL OIL RUNS OUT THE FILLER HOLE.

2 QTS IN THE DIFFERENTIAL OR UNTIL OIL RUNS OUT THE FILLER HOLE.

THESE ARE REAL WORLD NUMBERS WITH THE CAR SITTING ON MY LEVEL FRONT END ALIGNMENT LIFT. AFTER YOU FINISH DRIVING THE CAR, LET IT SIT FOR A FEW HOURS, AND THEN CHECK THE ENGINE OIL AND TOP UP IF NEEDED.