Mobile -1 oil, bad for transmission

SNKBYT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just heard that Mobile one synthetic tranny oil 75-90w is not good for the tranny. Although it has a GL-5 rating which exceeds the Mopar GL-4 specs, it doesn't contain the additives for yellow metal which inhibits the corrosion for those parts. Has anyone heard of this? Is anybody using this oil? Is there any oil better than the Mopar oil which is the Castrol Syntorque?

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure what yellow metal is, but as I understand it the reason they chose Syntorque is because of the organic materials the synchronizers utilize. I'm not bagging on you, but this kind of stuff always amazes me. The tranny has a large sticker warning you not to put any other fluid in it. Don't listen to other peoples(expert sidewalk engineers) crap, the factory engineers specified the fluids so use them.

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes you are right.
It just cost me $2200 ....
Search this post "Torque 1, Tranny 0"

For regular drive that oil is perfect but change it every year. For extended drive on highway (more than 8 hours) or for 24 hours Lemans style driving upgrade the oil.

kARLUG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A very knowledgable Viper Tech told me that the best fluids for transmission etc. are Mopar. He'a a straight shooter and just wasn't giving me the "company line". Apparently Dodge spends lots on money researching different fluids and the ones that they supply are engineered to work in our cars.

OP
OP
S

SNKBYT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By Yellow metal, I am refering to copper, bronze and brass bushings etc. Supposingly, the Mobil -1 doesn't have the additives to protect the non ferrous materials and corrosion and wear are accelerated.

Schulmann: Were you using Mobil-1 or some other substitue?

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about Amsoil Synthetic? I already bought it due to some recomendations. It say's that it meets specs for chrysler ms-9070 which is what the stock mopar oil is.
Should I trash it?
Thanks
Gary

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper