Any Experience with Chin Motorsports Track Events? Interesting Schedule!

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Instead of the conventional two hours (actually four twenty-five minute sessions) per day of track time, these guys mix the skill level groups and run an open track, amounting to in excess of five hours per day. I really like the idea of more track time, but note that more cars will be allowed on track at the same time. I’ve seen up to 40 cars on VIR's full course which wasn't too bad, but these guys are proposing 65 cars. I'm told by Chin that even with 65 cars being permitted, seldom will there be more than 35 to 40 cars on track given that the long run sessions (about an hour to an hour and a half each) will result in people coming and going on and off the track all during the session. Anyone have any thoughts or experience on this or with Chin Motorsports? Sounds awesome, provided the track is not too crowded.

See:

http://www.chinmotorsports.com

and a sample schedule:

http://www.chinmotorsports.com/forms/111_pdfSch.pdf

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I missed it last year, but the locals here in my club, absolutely loved it. Raved about all the track time you get, and how you can come and go on track as much or as little as you like. I definetly would plan on this one, even over G&W, which is another good one.

Sign up for this .. trust me.. Stuart G. spoke highly of it, and even though I dont consider him a real racer (like Man on Campus Henry Cone), but he's still one of the better comb overs in the club, and definetly is quicker on track then me.. for now.. ;-)

Jon

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Any Experience with Chin Motorsports Track Events? Interesting Schedul

I drive with SafeMotorSports.com down in Florida. Same thing, open track all day. It's fantastic, at Sebring I'll go through 2 tanks of gas in a day. True bliss:)
Chin also tracks down in Florida and I joined last year but could never make any of their dates. I'm also a member of Performance Drivers Club as well and there your driving 25 min. sessions with 2 hr. breaks in between. So I'll pay for two group entry's to get more track time and less wait time. I'll off set the cost by working tech.

Getting back to your question: The only thing I’ve heard about Chin is they do fill up fast and they may not be to picky about who’s joining, so just keep away from the crazys if you get any on the track. Some Yahoos think their really in a race.

OP
OP
V

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I just signed up for both days. Sounds like a blast! Thanks for the feedback.

RC Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I attended the Chin event at VIR last year and plan to sign up again.

The great thing is that you get to pick the time you go on the track (in addition to the amount of time). Its easier to go out and run with friends.

Speaking of that, something tells me the Stuart G might have a few words to say about the comb over remark!

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The problem with this type of format is that all drivers skill levels/car prep are mixed together and consequently passingt rules are very restrictive.

Passing only in straights/designated areas and ONLY after a point-by by the car being passed,is may be fine for novices/beginners but, is kind of boring for faster/experienced drivers.

I run a club on the west coast and,beside our race group, in the open-tack sessions,our fastest group can pass anywhere (including turns)WITHOUT point-by.

Luc 00GTS

NCRACING.ORG

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Chin originated in Florida and got the open track idea/experience from SAFE Motorsports. The good thing about SAFE is that it is non-profit (cheaper) and they limit the total cars for the whole day to 65. The downside to SAFE is that they only run Florida tracks.

The Chin deal will be good if they follow SAFE's lead. Luc is right about the skill drivers getting a bit bored, but for novice and intermediate drivers the format will get them more comfortable with other cars on the track.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My experience with track days of both formats is that the success of either is dependent on the state of mind of the drivers involved. I've been to restricted passing events (point by only) where some drivers never point you by, leading to much frustration. I've also been to open passing events where I had people diving into the corner on me at the last second, after I'd already committed to the turn, with only luck preventing a major, nasty crash. I've also had great experiences with both formats, with safe and polite driving by everyone. If everyone is driving within their abilities, I prefer open passing. However, if you have a couple of knucklheads out there, they can screw it up for everyone. (I guess that's what black flags are for.)

RedFang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chin was a very good event. Gives us all the opportunity to truly practice specific turns. Managed well. It's what you make it, and I'm going back again this Dec.

Jon: How would you know how much hair I have ... you aren't tall enough to see! :eek:

Yes it's gray, but along with that comes experience!

spg

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chin was a very good event. Gives us all the opportunity to truly practice specific turns. Managed well. It's what you make it, and I'm going back again this Dec.

Jon: How would you know how much hair I have ... you aren't tall enough to see! :eek:

Yes it's gray, but along with that comes experience!

spg

Dear Comb Over #1 (aka STICKER STU),

I love that my post was the one that brought you out of hiding that you just HAD to respond. Maybe when I am 50 like you, I'll have your "experience" and I'll have some young kid harassing me too, but until then, I'll be that guy getting closer and closer in your rear view mirror. IT wont be long my friend.. it wont be long, until you are in mine.

-YOUNG, SHORT Smart ***

Jon

RedFang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Jon ... I really appreciate people who form goals for their future. Not many goals are 20 years out though! I must admit, you clearly have me...and most club members on the 1/4 mile run at Rockingham! Kudos to you for that.

In addressing road courses such as VIR, as you continue to improve, and move closer to your goal of surpassing me, please be sure to keep me posted so that I can remove the binoculars wire tied to my rear view mirror. They get in the way all the time, but it's the only way I can keep an eye on you!

Yes ... you were the one that caused me severe angst and 'made' me actually register for this site. You are a true fiend ... oops, I meant friend.

Stay well Jon....
spg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave