Gen I help!!!, maybe buying, a few questions...

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, I've been looking at Vipers for a while. I really want a Gen II or III, but I've been thinking lately that if I could get into a good Gen I I would be happier, mainly because I would have less money in it and would probably enjoy it more (plus more cash to spend on other stuff...and no objection from the wife).

I "found" a 1994 Viper in Ringgold, GA, its actually listed in the VCA classifieds (LINK HERE) as well. I have a few questions:

General Questions:
- Does anyone know this car?
- Has anyone dealt with Mike Robbins at this dealership?
- Would anyone care to accompany me to the dealership to check it out? (I live in Woodstock, GA, Northwest of Atlanta, I'll drive and buy lunch.)

Mechanical questions:
- Since the engine was rebuilt by Arrow, that solves the piston sleve and head gasket issues, right?
- Should I be "afraid" of a Gen I with 50K miles, 20K since Arrow rebuild?
- What other "concerns" should I have?
- Should I accept the inspection of this Dodge dealer or should I take it to another? How would I work the logistics of this?
- Does anyone know the Viper Techs at this dealer?

Other inspections questions:
- What should I look for on the car?
- What components, tests, inspections should I do before buying?

Ivory

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Gen I has 45K on it since its Arrow rebuild with no real problems. The motor has almost 67k miles on it and is basically stock but put down 375hp to the wheels in 90 degree temps this summer. I say, go ahead take the plunge if the car is mechanically well maintained and cosmetically sound. Save the cash, all your friends and neighbors will know is that you drive a "Viper". A clean Gen I to the average Joe will be a "new" car. Most people don't know the difference between 10 years old and 5 years old.

Just a thought.

OP
OP
S

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ivory: that's exactly what I'm thinking.

Anyone have advice on good viper tech near ringgold? maybe in chattanooga? I know there's supposed to be a guy in marietta, but that about 40 miles away from ringgold, I wonder how I would get the car down there for an inspection...

I'm searching through the old posts on here, so don't think I'm being lazy, just requesting any help I can get...

OP
OP
S

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
another question: how can I determine if this engine was rebuilt with the "new" head gaskets or the old failing ones?

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IF it's mechanically sound, then the price (with all the accessories) sounds like a good price. but definately have someone check it out.

OP
OP
S

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
anyone have advice on how to negotiate taking it to another dealer or shop? I have found a local guy that is not a DC guy that works on them and will look it over. I also have it on good word from one of the GA VCA officers that this saleman/dealership are good people...

OP
OP
S

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
whatever chuck tator "viper wizard" tells you, you can bet on.

yeah, that's what I hear, you can tell I've been trolling around here for a while, since I PM'd him almost immediately...

OP
OP
S

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
got the VIN and sent it to Chuck Tator and another guy that has CarFax. The salesman has started pushing me with the "there's a million people on their way to look at it" scheme, like I was born yesterday...how many Gen I's are there on the market?

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its not a ton of Gen 1's (and 2's for that matter) on the streets, much less on the market. A lot are either garage queens/weekend playtoys or have had mishaps at a track and are at the race track in Heaven. When most people get a nice Gen 1 or 2, they hang on to it. Gen 3's dont have this problem, b/c well....you gotta sell them 1st before they can be garage queens or have mishaps. Alot of Gen 3's are showroom queens lol.

OP
OP
S

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if I had $65K laying around I'd have a SRT-10 vert, but I'd rather have a car this year and burn through a few sets of tires than wait for another year, plus the Gen I is the real viper to me, this is what I saw as a kid...

OP
OP
S

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's what Carfax had to say...

Good News -- Vehicle qualifies for the CARFAX Buyback Guarantee! No severe problems (major accidents, fire, flood damage, major odometer problems or lemon history) were ever reported by a Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) for this 1994 DODGE VIPER RT-10 (1B3BR65E3RV101279). If you find that any of these severe problems were reported by a DMV and not included in this report, CARFAX will buy this vehicle back.

You must register at www.CARFAX.com to activate this free guarantee!

CARFAX Talking CarTM
The story of this 1994 DODGE VIPER RT-10 (1B3BR65E3RV101279) according to our interpretation of the information reported to CARFAX:
This convertible has had 1 owner in Ohio. The first title for this convertible was reported to CARFAX by an Ohio DMV in 1994.
It has had no minor or moderate accidents reported to CARFAX.
It has had no DMV-reported total loss events, like a major accident, fire or flood.
It has not been reported by a DMV as having an Exceeds Mechanical Limits or Not Actual Mileage title.
It has a consistent mileage history with no indication of an odometer rollback. The last odometer reading, reported on 01/24/2001, was 8,440 miles.
It was not reported by a DMV as a Manufacturer Buyback (LEMON).
Go to the Detailed Vehicle History for the complete history and a glossary of terms.

Report Summary
1. ACCIDENT CHECK

Total Loss Check No Severe Accidents Reported by a DMV - Buyback Guarantee!
Other Accident Indicators No Accident Indicators Reported
2. MILEAGE ACCURACY CHECK

Truth-In-Mileage Check No Odometer Problems Reported by a DMV - Buyback Guarantee!
Odometer Rollback Check No Potential Odometer Rollback Found
Mileage Consistency Check No Inconsistent Odometer Reading Found
3. LEMON CHECK®
No Mfr. Buyback Reported by a DMV - Buyback Guarantee!
4. OWNERSHIP CHECK

Number of Owners 1 Estimated Owner(s)
Type of Owners Checked 8 Types of Vehicle Registrations
5. RECALL CHECK
DODGE Does Not Report Recalls to CARFAX
6. WARRANTY CHECK
No Data Reported to CARFAX
DETAILED VEHICLE HISTORY 3 HISTORY RECORDS REPORTED
Tell us what you know about this vehicle

Year/Make/Model: 1994 DODGE VIPER RT-10

Body Style: CONVERTIBLE
Engine: 2.0L L4 SMPI SOHC 16V
Fuel: GASOLINE
Driveline: REAR WHEEL DRIVE
Manufactured in: UNITED STATES
Safety Equipment: Passive (automatic) belts

Standard Equipment: Power Steering, Air Conditioning Optional, AM / FM Cassette, Power Brakes, Removable panels, Tilt Wheel, 6-digit Odometer

FREE to you from CARFAX. Additional information to help you make the right decision when buying or selling a used car or truck.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How safe and reliable is this 1994 DODGE VIPER RT-10?
Find out with the CARFAX Safety & Reliability Report.

Looking for other 1994 DODGE VIPER RT-10 vehicles like this one in your area?
Get a complete, up-to-date list of CARFAX Hot Listings

What are other CARFAX customers saying about this 1994 DODGE VIPER RT-10?
Share what you know about this vehicle - Add a CARFAX Customer Rating & Comment.

Total Loss Check:

GOOD NEWS! No severe damage events were ever reported by a DMV for this 1994 DODGE VIPER RT-10 (1B3BR65E3RV101279). If you find that any of the following severe problems were reported by a DMV and not included in this report, CARFAX will buy this vehicle back. You must register to activate this free guarantee!

Salvage Title Loss Due To Fire Title
Junk Title Flood Damage Title
Rebuilt/Reconstructed Title Hail Damage Title
Dismantled Title Canadian Total Loss

Other Accident Indicators:

This 1994 DODGE VIPER RT-10 (1B3BR65E3RV101279) had no accident indicators reported to CARFAX from its sources. This section checks for accidents and/or related damage reported from many public and private sources. Not all accidents are reported to CARFAX. A vehicle inspection completed by your dealer or professional mechanic is recommended.

No Salvage Auction Record Reported No Crash Test Vehicle Record Reported
No Fire Damage Record Reported No Airbag Deployment Record Reported
No Frame Damage Record Reported No Damage Disclosure Record Reported
No Police Accident Record Reported No Collision Repair Facility Record Reported

CARFAX depends on public and private sources for its accident data. Each one of these sources has different processing times. CARFAX can only report what is in our database on 08.Sep.2005 21:50:56. New data will result in a change to this report.
Not all accidents are reported to the Police. Tell us if you know of other fender benders, accidents or damage.

Register FREE Guarantee | CARFAX Help Center

Truth-In-Mileage Check:

GOOD NEWS! No major odometer problems were ever reported by a DMV under the Truth-In-Mileage Act for this 1994 DODGE VIPER RT-10 (1B3BR65E3RV101279). If you find that any of the following odometer problems were reported by a DMV and not included in this report, CARFAX will buy this vehicle back. You must register to activate this free guarantee!

Not Actual Mileage Title - issued by DMV when the owner discloses mileage fraud or a broken odometer.
Exceeds Mechanical Limits Title - issued by DMV when the owner discloses an odometer rollover.

Odometer Rollback Check:

CARFAX found no odometer rollbacks for this 1994 DODGE VIPER RT-10 (1B3BR65E3RV101279). Rollbacks reported in this section originate from readings collected by a DMV or other verifiable source.

Mileage Consistency Check:

CARFAX found no inconsistent odometer readings in the mileage history of this 1994 DODGE VIPER RT-10 (1B3BR65E3RV101279).

Date: Mileage:
03/25/1994 7
01/06/2000 5,694
01/24/2001 8,440

Do you know this vehicle's current mileage? Tell us and help protect others from mileage fraud.

GOOD NEWS! No manufacturer buyback was ever reported by a DMV for this 1994 DODGE VIPER RT-10 (1B3BR65E3RV101279). If you find that a manufacturer buyback was reported by a DMV and not included in this report, CARFAX will buy this vehicle back. You must register to activate this free guarantee!

Ownership History:

CARFAX estimates that this 1994 DODGE VIPER RT-10 (1B3BR65E3RV101279) had 1 owner(s). CARFAX analyzed this vehicle's title history and other supporting events to identify potential ownership transfers. In compliance with the U.S. privacy laws, CARFAX does not collect or report owner names or addresses.

Estimated Owners: Date: Location:
1st owner 03/25/1994 Ohio

CARFAX AdvisorTM
The cost of ownership varies by vehicle. Go to Edmunds.com to check the recommended service schedule and estimated costs for this vehicle.

Types of Owners:

This 1994 DODGE VIPER RT-10 (1B3BR65E3RV101279) was checked for 8 types of registrations.

No Personal Use Registration Reported No Fleet Registration Reported
No Lease Registration Reported No Commercial Registration Reported
No Rental Registration Reported No Non-Profit Registration Reported
No Taxi Registration Reported No Built to Non U.S. Standards Record Reported

Do you have information about how this vehicle was used or driven? Tell us what you know.

DODGE does not report recall information for specific vehicles to CARFAX.
Go to the CARFAX SAFETY & RELIABILITY REPORT for recalls issued by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration for the 1994 DODGE VIPER RT-10. You can also contact an authorized dealership or DODGE at 1-800-423-6343 to find out if this 1994 DODGE VIPER RT-10 (1B3BR65E3RV101279) still has recalls that require repair.

CARFAX cannot calculate the remaining coverage for this 1994 DODGE VIPER RT-10 (1B3BR65E3RV101279) because no original manufacturer warranty information was reported to CARFAX by its source.

Estimated start date of warranty: 03/25/1994
Last reading reported on 01/24/2001: 8,440 miles
Today's Date: September 8, 2005

Type of Coverage: Original Warranty:
Basic No data reported to CARFAX
Drivetrain No data reported to CARFAX
Emissions No data reported to CARFAX
Corrosion No data reported to CARFAX
Transferable No data reported to CARFAX
Roadside Assistance No data reported to CARFAX
Safety Belt & Inflatable Restraint No data reported to CARFAX
Specific Components No data reported to CARFAX

CARFAX Warranty Check provides an estimate of this vehicle's remaining warranty coverage. It does not take into account some vehicle history events. For example, major accidents resulting in Salvage or Junk titles that may void the original manufacturer warranty or ownership transfers that may decrease warranty coverage. This warranty information is only valid for vehicles manufactured for sale in the US. Complete warranty coverage information is available for this vehicle at the DODGE web site.

CARFAX searched more than 3 billion records from over 5,300 sources and found 3 record(s) for this 1994 DODGE VIPER RT-10 (1B3BR65E3RV101279).

Date:
Mileage Reading:
Source:
General Comments:

03/25/1994 7 Ohio
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Bluffton, IN
Title #7900081805
Title issued or updated
First owner reported

01/06/2000 5,694 Illinois
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Roanoke, IL
Title #T0006771005
Title or registration issued
Title issued or updated

01/24/2001 8,440 Alabama
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Rainbow City, AL
Title #27136643
Title issued or updated

Tell us what you know about this vehicle

CARFAX
BUYBACK GUARANTEE

If you find that any of these severe problems were reported by a Department of Motor Vehicles and were not included in this report, CARFAX will buy this vehicle back.

Severe Damage: Odometer Problems: Lemon History:
Salvage/Junk

Rebuilt/Reconstructed

Dismantled

Fire/Flood/Hail

Canadian Total Loss
Exceeds Mechanical Limits

Not Actual Mileage
Manufacturer Buyback

Your CARFAX Buyback Coverage:
Vehicle: Transferable Coverage: Activation:
1994 DODGE VIPER RT-10
1B3BR65E3RV101279 09/08/2005 - 09/08/2006 REQUIRED --
ACTIVATE TODAY!

Activation Required

Go to www.carfax.com
Terms and Conditions Apply
CARFAX agrees to buy this vehicle back from the holder of this Vehicle History Report if the report indicates the vehicle qualifies for the CARFAX Buyback Guarantee and a Branded Title, as fully defined in the Terms and Conditions, actually exists for this vehicle. YOU MUST REGISTER TO ACTIVATE THIS FREE GUARANTEE (www.carfax.com) in order to be eligible for payment. View Terms and Conditions (www.carfax.com/guarantee/hctermsanddef.cfm).

Additional Services & Resources:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Car Price Quote Vehicle Financing Insurance Center Pre-purchase Inspection

CARFAX Disclaimer:

CARFAX DEPENDS ON ITS SOURCES FOR THE ACCURACY AND RELIABILITY OF ITS INFORMATION. THEREFORE, NO RESPONSIBILITY IS ASSUMED BY CARFAX OR ITS AGENTS FOR ERRORS OR OMISSIONS IN THIS REPORT. CARFAX FURTHER EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CARFAX®

Need help? Please visit our Help Center at www.carfax.com.

© 2005 CARFAX, Inc., an R.L. Polk & Co. company. All rights reserved. Patents pending. 08.Sep.2005 21:50:56

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62