Hello VCA, new sponsor here....

USexoticsLTD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I just wanted to introduce myself as a new sponsor here. My name is Roger Robinson and I run U.S. Exotics LTD where I specialize in autobody design and manufacturing. For years I've been primarily involved with the late-model firebird and camaro market as well as raceweight bodies and components for funnycars and top-fuel dragsters. Now I've decided to move in a new direction, being Dodge Viper body components. I've wanted to work with vipers for a long, long time now and I'm finally ready to give them my undivided attention. I have a very small operation here, as I design and hand-build every piece myself without any employees, but I plan to debut some new parts here as quickly as I can.
I have actually just finished the prototype for a new hood design of mine (92-02 Vipers) and was looking to get some honest opinions from you all. I apologize that I don't have any pics of this design on a car yet. That should simply be a matter of time, since I just built the production mold for the topside and now only have to finish the underside of the hood before I can produce a functional piece. Before you view the pics, I wanted to also let you know that I have altered the general shape of the hood. The center cowl section has been raised up (approx. 2 inches) starting at the naca duct and tapering back down at the rear of the hood as to not interfere with driver visibility. I've also raised the front "fender" sections 2 inches above the stock lines. With this I wanted to mock the form of the SRT-10 fender peaks, but without the sharp edges. Basically I was looking to balance the shape of the vehicle and add some height and attention to the front-end to compliment the curves at the back end of the car. After all of this is when I began cutting in the functional heat extractor ports, but those are pretty apparent in the pics so they don't need much description from me. Just remember that these pitures are of the original prototype that I built the mold from, so I had to leave the heat extractors and the naca duct provision solid. In the production pieces, the ports will be open and the naca duct will be installed. I apologize for babbling on here. Please post any comments you may have. I'm looking for some constructive critisism. Thanks alot everyone. -Roger
You must be registered for see images

.... More photos available here, U.S. Exotics LTD webshots gallery

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks pretty cool on the work stands....When do you anticipate mounting it to a car?
How finished will the underside of the hood be? :2tu:

thanks

OP
OP
U

USexoticsLTD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I am hoping that I'll have a complete functional hood to mount onto a car within the next 2-4 weeks, but if I get the chance, I'll atleast sit a skin (topside) on a car to get some pics of the overall profile a little bit sooner than that. As far as the underside goes, it will also be finished in gloss black gelcoat. The ports on the underside will be offset from the ports on the top to prevent random water drainage. This is what I'll be working on for the next few weeks, setting up the "plumbing" system to divert any moisture to suitable drainage areas. I want to keep the appearance of the underside as clean as possible, but functional as well.

Reaction score
Please, please, host your images ANYWHERE else that does NOT have a million pop-ups!!! :) I get ONE pop-up as a customer and I NEVER go back...just my pet-peeve. :)

Otherwise....looks good!! Press on!! :)

OP
OP
U

USexoticsLTD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm really sorry about that. I've been using webshots for a couple years and never realized that they had pop-ups until just now when I openned it up without being logged in there. :eek: Please know that I wouldn't have used it here if I had known. Looks like I'll be setting up my VCA gallery real soon. Thanks for the heads up Tony.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some constructive criticism. I never liked the hood "speaker" design on the Viper hood. I personally feel it's distracting to the flowing hood. The driver side hood "speaker" is non-functional and the passenger side is the AC intake.

Is it possible to eliminate these hood "speaker" depressions on the hood and replace them with something more elegant?

OP
OP
U

USexoticsLTD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm... I never really though about doing anything with the cavities at the back of the hood. What I have in mind right now would be something like a solid cover that would match the surrounding bodylines, and the covers could either be fastened into the hood (using the existing mounting points for the factory grills)... or it could even be bonded permanently to the hood and the seams filled over to smooth out the whole look. That would require a complete repaint of the entire hood after the bodywork would be done, but with all of the fiberglass print-through and dulling I've seen on alot of factory hoods, that may not be a bad thing. Also, the functional inlet on the passenger side could remain functional through an open port at the back of the piece facing the windshield, basically like a functional cowl hood set up. I really appreciate the input and will look into this. This could be a simple set of pieces that wouldn't be very complicated to manufacture and would fit any 92-02 factory hoods. Keep the ideas coming guys, I'm definitely looking to build some new parts soon. :cool:

OP
OP
U

USexoticsLTD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also... for anybody having problems viewing the pics or the website, I just uploaded a bunch of photos to my gallery, so check them out there if you like. Thanks again guys.

OP
OP
U

USexoticsLTD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That'll be a big YES!!!!! :2tu: .... I have planned from the beginning to build some functional raceweight body panels for the vipers. I promise you that I'll have them available eventually. If you guys have anymore suggestions at all, let me hear them... I'm open to any and all ideas.

Fiorano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the hood looks great. Anyway, the GTS-R cars above have hoods and front fascias wider than the stock GTS.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the hood looks great. Anyway, the GTS-R cars above have hoods and front fascias wider than the stock GTS.
True, but that doesn't prevent the racing clip mounts.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would dump the nasa duct for Gen 1, without it the hood looks really good. I always thought that raising the midsection 1-2 inches would give more swooping and curvy image.
The heat extractor ports looks great!
Let me know if you need a Gen 1 for pictures, I am only few minutes from Gettysburg.

Lauri

OP
OP
U

USexoticsLTD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm right there with you guys... I can't wait to have one finished and installed on a car either. Trust me, as soon as I can get one on a car, the pics will be available on the VCA in record time :2tu: ... Lauri, I really appreciate the offer to model the hood on your car, I may just take you up on that. Ofcourse, I'd compensate you for your time and all if we end up doing that. It's nice to know that I've got some local vipers lurking around here in mustang country...lol. As far as the NACA duct goes, you can see from the pics of the prototype that initially, that section is solid. Typically I'd trim this section out to allow the naca duct to mount in place... but, if I had a special request to not use the naca duct, I'd be happy to smooth that section over just like your gen 1 hood. I'm happy to do any kind of custom modifications that the customer would request. Also... I'm considering building a version without the center vents for those who want a cleaner, smoother look... and I'd leave the functional brake-cooling vents on the sides as they are. Does that idea appeal to anybody??

Steve Miehe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Am also interested in seeing the hood on a car. Many aftermarket hoods seem to have gap problems - how the hood mates right about the front bumper cover, and how it sits down right over the side sills. Post more shots once on a car! Thanks -- :D

NOTV8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Some constructive criticism. I never liked the hood "speaker" design on the Viper hood. I personally feel it's distracting to the flowing hood. The driver side hood "speaker" is non-functional and the passenger side is the AC intake.

Is it possible to eliminate these hood "speaker" depressions on the hood and replace them with something more elegant?

same here :2tu:

OP
OP
U

USexoticsLTD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know what you're talking about Steve... I'm getting a crash course in gap issues as we speak. I'm glad that I'm figuring out these problems now before I start building alot of hoods. I actually just finished building a jig here in my shop that enables me to check the fitment once a hood is built, and if there are problems it's also set up to correct those problems. Typically when there's a gap issue, it's not because the overall dimensions of the hood have changed, but a general shape distortion. I just had this happen with a hood because I built the crate too tight in certain areas and it basically torqued the entire hood out of whack, which was how it was sitting here for months before it shipped out. This is why I built the jig, so that I can check and/or re-cure a hood into proper factory dimensions. It's basically set up like a frame machine at a bodyshop. Well, it's going to come in real handy now that I don't have to ASSUME that all of the lines are correct when I build a hood... now I'll KNOW it's right when it leaves my shop. I'm also going to be more careful with my crate building too...lol.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would have to agree on the "no speaker" vote. If there was a way to design it out or change the feature I would think the hood would look much better.

Too bad you didn't come up with this a little sooner. This probably would have changed the Roe blower set up due to increased hood clearance.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know what you're talking about Steve... I'm getting a crash course in gap issues as we speak.

Did you build the hoods for Elite Motorsports in Tampa Florida ?
It would seem so: http://community.webshots.com/user/usexoticsltd
Can you take care of (do away with) the fitting problems that Elites hood had/has ? If so, why were they not addressed before ? Not trying to stir up problems....if you can make this fit correctly it will be a great product that many will take advantage of. The problem is....no two Vipers alignment on facia etc. are the same. I think this means the hood dimensions of your hood needs to replicate the factory exactly.....and we can work with the other panels. Don't build it to match any one particular Viper.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doesn't the passenger "speaker" provide fresh air for non circulated A/C ? That ***** some serious air through that hole..

G

OP
OP
U

USexoticsLTD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To address the deal with Elite Motorsports... I originally didn't want to associate myself on the board with those parts, since I knew that many people would assume that I had something to do with all of those problems in the past. I was actually approached by Scott earlier THIS year about building his parts. Since I've always wanted to get my foot in the door with the viper market, I agreed. I had already done some searching on the VCA here before I gave him my decision and was aware of problems customers had with him in the past. The way I looked at it, it would have been alot easier for me to get involved in a good situation with someone else... but if I was able to to take a line of parts that had about a 1 or 2 rating (on a quality scale of 1-10) and make them a 9 or 10, well that's something special. I had nothing to do with the bad run of parts and bad dealings that occurred in the past. I built 5 hoods for Elite, and still actually have 4 of them here at my shop.

I just recently made the photo albums on my webshots page public (used to be private) that are associated with my work on the Elite parts. There was a problem that occurred last week with the one Elite hood (that I built) that had been shipped to a customer and it led to a post on here attacking Scott. There were a few fitment issues that were being blamed on Scott, and even though he's not that popular on the board, and even he and I have had plenty of problems with our dealings, I felt that I had to chime in and let people know that I was the one who built it... Scott couldn't have been aware that he was selling a part that wasn't up to par. I figured the cat was out of the bag and I might as well make the albums public, beacause at the very least, they can give people a better understanding of the process, step-by-step. I'm not a scammer by any means, and I can't have anybody (no matter who it is) take the fall for MY screw-ups. That one bad hood was the main reason that I built the new jig from my factory GTS hood here, so that I can take that one and the remaining 4 Elite hoods out of the crates here and check/correct any kind of fitment problems before they ship out. I can also use them for any 92-02 viper hoods that I build in the future.

At this point, I have already let Scott know that once I finish up some odds and ends here with his parts, we're going our seperate ways. The only reason that we aren't done with eachother already is because most of these parts are intended for pre-existing customers that had already been through the ringer with parts from his last builder before me. I definitely don't want to leave them high and dry because Scott and I have had our differences. I respect the fact that Scott wants very much to do right by these customers, but after they're taken care of and happy with their new parts, I'm an independant once again.

Also... to clear up some confusion that I've gotten wind of... I WILL NOT build any Elite style hoods for anybody, so please don't ask. No matter what kind of issues have existed between Scott and I, I'm not going to commendeer his designs for my own gain. It's just not ethical. I've been the victim of "copy-cats" before in the f-body market. There are alot of builders out there who don't have the ability to design anything of their own, so they get ahold of another manufacturer's part, build production molds from it, and try to pass it off as their own idea while they undercut the original builder's price. I'm not interested in operating like that. Typically, those guys might sell a few replicas, but I still always maintained steady sales on my parts because of my reputation for quality and customer service. Anyhow... with the viper aftermarket being so limited when it comes to appearance, I'd rather develop new and different designs and give viper owners more options than what they've had in the past. Hopefully within the next few years, I'll have many different parts that appeal to many different owners. :2tu:

OP
OP
U

USexoticsLTD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WARNING.....DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THIS SELLER. ELITE MOTORSPORTS IS A FRUAD. YOU HAVE BEEN TOLD. SEARCH UNDER ELITE MOTORPORTS AND THEN YOU WILL UNDERSTAND.

Incase anybody is still confused about this.... I DO NOT REPRESENT ELITE MOTORSPORTS!!!!! My only involvement ever with Elite, is that I've built a FEW parts for them recently, that's it. I knew this can of worms would open up after making those photo albums public on my webshots page, but it's better that everyone knows what's what right??

SMCBUILDERSINC, I actually have plans to move to Myrtle Beach within the next year and build a brand new shop there. When I get down there, you're more than welcome to come up the coast and check out everything in person. I'm sure you'd see that everything is on the up and up with me.

This is difficult for me to start all over again in a new market after working so hard over the years to build a great reputation over the years in another market. Trust me, I'm not running away from any problems in the f-body market, I was very successful there when I stopped production to get involved with the vipers. It was just time for me to step up to something new. For anybody that wants a little more history on me, you can always feel free to check out my ebay feedback, ebay feedback

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really like your design a lot. The taller fenders really appeal to me as I LOVE that look on the SRT. I would also be one that would like to see the "speakers" gone, and am not a big fan of the center heat vent. That being said, my #1 concern of this design is how it would look in profile on a RT/10. A straight on side shot of the original Viper has the fender curvature height over the wheel openings nearly dead even front and rear (unlike a SRT or Corvette that has the rear MUCH taller than the front). I think your hood might look very odd having the front of the car TALLER than the rear. It would look as if it is sloping the wrong way and really exaggerate the clown shoe.

I also make after market Viper parts and have a handful of ideas. I have thought about doing something VERY similar to what you have done, but instead of going UP with the fenders and center, bring the lower valley's of the stock hood even lower (there IS room to do it)creating the look of the raised fender/cowl. This keeps profile correct while giving the hood much more muscle.

I am sharing this idea with you as you basically beat me to it. Also, I'm concerned creating an entire hood like this may create more problems than it is worth. It is a fairly major project. Best of luck to you, I can't wait to see the final design.

Jeff

OP
OP
U

USexoticsLTD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Jeff... it sure is nice to get some input form a fellow fabricator. I checked out your gallery and the roof plug you've got carved out and it looks great!!!... you'll have to keep me posted on how that one comes out. I am definitely going to be working on the fill-ins for the "speaker grills" but it may take me a few weeks before I can get started on them. Maybe we have some photoshop guys on here that could prepare a nice rendering of it. As far as the hood goes, I know it's a pretty big job, but I'm up to it ...I've already built a few viper hoods and paid some dues some good ones and bad ones :eek: ... I really had alot of fun working with the Diamondback prototype... it gave me a huge canvas to work with as opposed to smaller hoods and panels I've worked with before. The only concern that I have about reversing the idea and lowering the valleys on the hood rather than raising the peaks as I did is... from a side shot or an angle or anything other than head-on, I don't think that it would modify the profile of the car very much. It seems to me that it would basically have the same profile as the factory hood from most views, and that's the biggest thing I wanted to change. As far as the compatibility with the RT/10s, I think that it will still compliment the lines. I know that it will look best on the GTS, but I think that the covertible will also benefit from some additional character in the front end. I could be a little biased though ;) I definitely look forward to bouncing around some ideas with ya Jeff. Thanks for your input. If there's anything I can do to help you out in any way, please let me know.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave