Using Pledge to keep the dust off?!?

Bratatatat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, so I was filling up with gas and ... per-usual, had an on-looker ask me about the Viper. After a quick introduction he went on to tell me that he also owns a Viper and often tracks it.

And then ... he said, "have you ever thought of using Pledge to keep the dust off?" I told him I have never tried that trick, but would consider it if it actually helped keep the dust off. He went on to say the lemon scent was actually quite nice also!

So ... anyone ever try using Pledge to keep the dust off their cars?

Cheers!

vegas guy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Using Pledge is an old show car trick. Guys used Pledge before all these HY-Tec products hit the market. I wipe down my seats and dash with it. Just spray a little on a rag and wipe. As with any product don't over do it.

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is oil in pledge. It does make one hell of a shine and I have known many show goers that use it at inside shows, but.... If you use it and it sits outside in direct sunlight it can cause some really ugly looking spots form the oily film.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep not a bad way to quick clean off a race car.Removes the oil,etc.Yes leaves a film.I wouldn't use in on quality furniture let alone a quality automobile finish. GTS Bruce

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are plenty of products made for that. Zaino Z8 is one of the best I have used and works good on both Sealants and carnuabas.

neat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used to detail cars for a living. A light coat of pledge on the inside leather was all we ever did. The cars seemed to stay dust free, longer when using pledge on the interior. I don't think I's use it on the outside though.

A quick tip. If you put anything with silicone in it on the dash, it will eventually cause a haze to appear on the inside of your windshield. The silicone evaporates and will stick to glass, leaving that smokey/milky haze.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Zaino Z8 is a great new product...I'd recommend that as a quick spritz touc-up type thing.

Using Pledge (which I assume has loads of silicone in it) is not good for use on any part of an automobile...especially leathers and vinyl.

There is excellent info on that here....

http://www.303products.com/main.php?infopage=techfacts

Even one of the Armor-All versions is now silicone free.

For your paint...Pledge will not prevent dust as it is an oil, nor will it protect your paint from bird bombs and the like.

Your best bet is a car duster...lifts the dust off nicely.

As far a silicones causing a film on windows...that may be possible. But...I NEVER use silicones on my vehicles, yet still get the film. I understand it is from the interior plastics out-gassing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper