F-16 Fighting Falcon

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This has been bothering me for some time now and thought I would ask how and why the name has changed.
I think it is great that every year the Arizona club "races" a F-16. I would love to go some year. But when did the F-16's name change from "Fighting Falcon" to "Viper"? I am more curious than anything. I was in the Navy for 5 years and spent a lot of time around military aircraft and this one has got me stumped.
In case any of you are doubters, here is a link to a military aircraft website. http://www.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?fsID=103

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AS a current 20 plus year maintainer on the 16's, the falcon nickname has kind of fallen by the wayside. As you may or may not know, when the 16 was first produced, it's primary role was that of an air to air fighter.

As the years progressed, this role has become somewhat secondary as it is primarily used for air to ground work in the latest conflicts. The name Falcon was great for an Air to Air jet but didn't quite fit the lethality it now has.

The story goes that it was some viper drivers (pilots) who coined the phrase.

After 3 tours in the Middle east since Gulf One, I can attest to the fact that it is still one hell of a jet. I believe that there is a pilot or two on the forums here, either current or former.

Greetings from the 115 Fighter Wing in Madison, WI.

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been known as the "Viper" from about day one (1978). Great aircraft to fly.

Herc :usa:

OP
OP
I

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, now it makes more sense after reading my link and also reading Johann's link. Officially, it it called a F-16 Fighting Falcon but one of the "nicknames" is Viper. My Commanding Officer was an F-16 pilot and I can never recall him referring to the aircraft an a Viper, just a Falcon. Learn something new everyday.

Blade Runner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those that flew other aircraft usually called them targets.
I'll take a sled any day of the F-16.
To be truthful I've never heard anyone refer to it other than Falcon or lawn dart.

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those that flew other aircraft usually called them targets.
I'll take a sled any day of the F-16.
To be truthful I've never heard anyone refer to it other than Falcon or lawn dart.

Once when I was a 200hr Lt I was gunned by a 2000hr Hornet driver. Since then
I have never been gunned by anything other than an F-16, not an F-18, F-15,
F-14, F-5, F-106, F-4, A-4, AV8, Tornado, F-1, AT-38, A-7, Jag, Israeli F-16,
ect,ect, and I have flown against all of them. Not because I am the Ace of
the base, but because there is no better one-v-one visual fight aircraft out
there. Not sure what other aircraft drivers you are talking about that call
them targets but I'll meet them any day in their choice of airframe. What
do you mean by sled? 105, 104?

Been flying it since 87 and it's always been known as the Viper.

Herc :usa:

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"there is no better one-v-one visual fight aircraft out
there."

Look at this as a question, not an argument.

Do you think these one-v-one, close range, top gun type fights have much to do with what would happen in most real combat situations?
Is anyone going to gun anyone?

Blade Runner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sled=SR-71
Retired out of F-15's but my preference will always be the
F-4C. Yea I know old school. But it's like the Viper raw in your face power. The F-16 is an outstanding aircraft, my son is now taking care of them. I hear through the grapevine that the YF-22 is now the [******] of the walk in combat with both the F-15 and the F-16.

Joe there are time where visual targets come into play. Not as much as in the 70's. That is when a good backseater comes in handy.

radta7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Joe,

That same argument was made in Vietnam and it was wrong. There WILL always be a place for guns in ariel combat. Missles miss and countermeasures occasionally work. Therefore the platforms can close in on one another. Yes you can always use an AiM-9x, but guns will still come into play. The closing ability of an F-22 was a reason why it received it's rotary cannon.

-RD