clicking noise when accelerating????

BLKSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have noticed that under full throttle I hear a Cliking or fast ticking noise that seems to be coming from the exhaust tips.

I was concerned that this was from running lean but I put the stock setting into the VEC-2 and same result

any thoughts??

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This is going to sound strange, but tap your catalytic converters with a rubber mallet when cold- post if you hear any rattling.

When did this start? anything different lately?

OP
OP
B

BLKSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is going to sound strange, but tap your catalytic converters with a rubber mallet when cold- post if you hear any rattling.

When did this start? anything different lately?

I will try this- seemed to happen after I added the VEC 2

but I may have been listening better

thanks

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If I may ask;

-Are you using OEM Injector Connectors?
-Any check engine lights?
-What program where you running?
-What is the temparature where the car is drven normally?

OP
OP
B

BLKSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I may ask;

-Are you using OEM Injector Connectors? Yes
-Any check engine lights? No
-What program where you running? It happens with the stock settings and
each of the moded programs
(slightly leaner)
-What is the temparature where the car is drven normally? around 200

Do you think I was running too lean?

thanks

Rich

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hello Rich,

The basis of my questions is to determine whether this began occuring while the car was running a different program, after the VEC-2 was installed, or if it may be an independant problem.

PS- I was refering to the Ambient Air Temp outside... what is your weather like?

OP
OP
B

BLKSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Rich,

The basis of my questions is to determine whether this began occuring while the car was running a different program, after the VEC-2 was installed, or if it may be an independant problem.

PS- I was refering to the Ambient Air Temp outside... what is your weather like?

It has been hot- 85 to 90 - it clicks with with any of the programs- but I only noticed it after installing the VEC- but I might not have noticed it earlier as I was not paying as much atention and it only happens at full throtle.

Rich

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
OK, lets start with the basics:

-Check all VEC-2 wiring over, especially the injector wiring. Wiggle-test everything to see if VEC-2 lights flicker, engine stumbles at idle, etc. Ohm-meter could come in handy here...

-Remove each injector connector, and "squeeze" the "U" prong on each side of the clip a little with pliers. BE CAREFUL not to break them, use your judgement. (This is a temp fix, I HIGHLY recomend the MSD injector clips)

-At idle, check each injector for opening. You should be able to feel it clicking by gasping it with your fingers.

-Tap Cats with a rubber mallet as posted above, let me know the results.

-check each spark plug, look for a descrepancy among cylinder... look for the "oddball"

I am assuming that this clicking may be a miss, or possibly, a damaged converter.

OP
OP
B

BLKSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, lets start with the basics:

-Check all VEC-2 wiring over, especially the injector wiring. Wiggle-test everything to see if VEC-2 lights flicker, engine stumbles at idle, etc. Ohm-meter could come in handy here...

Thanks for the advice!

looks like I had either a loose VEC-2 connection or a loose plug wire but now its fixed and no more ticking.

Rich

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets