missing a gear while shifting

Marcus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey guys, as anyone here ever missed a gear while shifting? I was driving my car and I shifted mistakenly from 4th to 3rd and heared a not so nice sound while engaging the clutch....but I didnt engage it all the way and put it into neutral. Car is good but that sound from under the car scared me...like the tranny moved a bit or something...all is fine, I just hope I didnt f***k anything up.

OP
OP
M

Marcus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont think so, I know i didnt go past 5k rpm...just sounded awkward...like if i ran over something....but all appears to be ok...car shifts, and drives fine :confused:

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't worry it has happened to the best of em. I did it a few times early on at the track. You need to get used to how to position your hand on the shift to reduce the tendency to do that. Not top, but sides.

AC

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wondering if you have the stock shifter on? I changed to the short shifter and my changes are crisp and cleaner then stock.

Patrick

NOTV8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
how about shifting from 1st to 2nd. I found a few times it wouldn't engage right away.

Bat™

You still have the "skip shift" engage. You have to get use to it or put a skip shift eliminator. I did it on mine and love it.

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Watch that down shifting to the wrong gear! IT happened to my previous Viper on a test drive (after front rotors installed) when the mechanic went hard from 1st to 2nd (Roe S/C'd car!!), and then instead of going into 3rd, went back into 1st. Long story short, back end came around, went out into the desert off I-17 and hit a mequite tree......totaled.......DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU!!!

DEKE01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
did ya over rev it ? ? ? or hit the rev limiter ?

Someone with more knowledge than me can verify, but I'm told that the rev limiter doesn't kick in on a downshift.

I've hit the limiter a few times on the track when I got too excited about a pass and then suddenly lost power. No problem.

Where I did have a scare is that on my second track event, I accidentally went from 3rd to 2nd instead of 4th while racing down a high speed straight. Not good. But fortunately I caught it before the clutch fully engaged and the revs didn't go much past 6000. No damage done but it could have turned out much worse.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Woodhouse engine and trans mounts will cure 90% of this and the MGW shifter will cure the other 10%.

I can attest to that. I have not missed a shift since installing Woodhouse mounts. Night and day difference. The car feels much stronger and the shifter doesn't rattle. Nice and tight.

Someone with more knowledge than me can verify, but I'm told that the rev limiter doesn't kick in on a downshift.

I've hit the limiter a few times on the track when I got too excited about a pass and then suddenly lost power. No problem.

Where I did have a scare is that on my second track event, I accidentally went from 3rd to 2nd instead of 4th while racing down a high speed straight. Not good. But fortunately I caught it before the clutch fully engaged and the revs didn't go much past 6000. No damage done but it could have turned out much worse.

The same thing happened to me at Pocono and I saw the RPM go slightly past 6K and the limiter didn't kick in but like you I didn't fully engage the clutch. Luckily my back end didn't kick out and it could've been really bad. I changed my engine mounts right after that event.

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The limiter is working, but there is no way to slow the engine down while engaged. The engine can cut fuel all it wants, but it's still conected to the tranny and whatever gear you are in.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The rev limiter only shuts off the spark and fuel, no brakes on engine spin!

Sounds like you probably broke your transmission or engine mount. On stands use a jack to apply some pressure to the engine and trans. to see if they lift off the mounts.

Ted

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dsalameh