My Crankshaft Damper Bolt was falling out.

Eagle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, i just checked mine (04) and it was loose. Hand tight at best, 13/16 did the trick. Thanks Eagle

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I don't disagree about your worry, Dan...that's why I get off my asp and try to get the correct answer.

Will be interesting to see exactly what the 06 service manual says about torque...especially since there is a history of "paste & copy" editing that passes errors along and/or fails to note updated info.

MAYBE we can talk JonB into taking a look at his and reporting back to us...and, in this case, I'll be happy just to hear the size of the hex head (as I am willing to extrapolate from there) since I really am NOT suggesting that JonB should take his damper off just to measure bolt size for us !!! :headbang:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Both sizes of bolts arrived this AM...the BIG difference in the two jumps right out at you when holding them side-by-side in one's own hand!!

Now, for the measurment of the 2006 Coupe's bolt...

TAZMC2

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Got the 2005 book in my hand and the proper torque is:
130 ft lbs with a 32mm socket 6 points or 1 1/4 also six
points.
once you get that torqued center punch a little mark in your bolt and also your crank.then put white out in your marks,that way you can inspect your bolt to see if the bolt is coming loose.(align the two dots like ( .) .
every time you go under car you will see the two dots lined up you are in good shape,Bolt is still tight......

TAZMC2

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes.. the bolt is located in the front of the engine,follow your belt around and the closes pulley to the ground that the belf raps around is your crank shaft pulley and in the front center of it is a big bolt.(32mm).
put the car in gear have some body hold the brake in 1st gear(this will prevent the engine from turning.get a good torque wrench and aply 130 ft/lbs and you are done

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yes, there were some changes. The 03, and all prior years, have the big bolt, the 04 and some 05's have the little bolt. I believe the 06's will all have the big bolt. I had mine back out too but luckily noticed it one day before starting the car while checking the oil. Lucky, you bet. Red loctite and a torque wrench, no issues since - about 15,000 miles ago.

Hope this helps.

Dan

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I did mine I had to put it in a higher gear in order for the parking brake to hold. 250 ft-lbs is a bunch! I needed a 4 ft erxtension on my 250 ft lb torque wrench and then had to be careful not to tip over the hoist.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I plan to personally examine an 06 Coupe tomorrow AM...HOPE to get the answer posted shortly thereafter.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
JUST completed the "bolt inspection" of a beautiful 2006 Coupe (blue/white)...#30 of 200...at Indy's Palmer Dodge North...Viper Tech Phil Honeycutt did the formal inspection and AFFIRMS that for 2006 the crank damper bolt has the 1.25 inch( 1 1/4" ) hex head ("big bolt"), with a small blue dot on center of this bolt which, otherwise looks like the same bolt as found on the 2003 Vipers....THANKS, Phil & Palmer !!!

While Kurt and I were at it, we visited the nice folks at Indy's Champion Dodge...and looked at the bolts on a red 2005 SRT-10 and on a 2005 Copperhead SRT-10....in BOTH cases, the crank damper bolts were the same as on the 2006 Viper...with the same blue dot....THANKS, Champion !!!

So, the REAL QUESTION is...when did the running change occur ???(most likely in 05 by MY guess).

Bottom line:
Owners of 2004's and early 2005's SHOULD have this checked out (in MY opinion) at one's dealership to be safe and sure.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Good to hear someone was able to get a final answer. If someone has both bolts, post a picture of them up! It is quite interesting. The 1 1/4 bolts are "short and fat," and the 13/16 are "long and skinny."

Now... if only Dodge keyed the cranks... I might consider them to have some type of common sense?

WSAYERS80

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 02' GTS crank pulley fell off yesterday on the side of the interstate. Stuck for 3 hours and towed home by a Ford. It's just dangling there....

kenphjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you can buy a pinning kit from Roe which will prevent this from occurring again-check it out if your not already aware of it

MI Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 02' GTS crank pulley fell off yesterday on the side of the interstate. Stuck for 3 hours and towed home by a Ford. It's just dangling there....

Ok,
I see how this is going, I dropped everything I was doing Sunday to HELP you get your snake back home, and all you can do is ***** about my FORD F-350 Power Stroke towing your broke down ass all the way home.... I guess next time the Road Ranger can help you out.... hell, I was the one who found the loose crank pulley, not you... J/K :) now quit screwing around and get that snake running, the auto-x was pretty cool this past weekend, except I spun-out in 2 of my 4 runs, "Mr. Donut" is my new name.
MI V.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21