My Crankshaft Damper Bolt was falling out.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got my car back from the shop (head and cam work), and one of the things the folks mentioned to me is that they discovered my crankshaft damper bolt was just about to fall out. It had backed out several turns and was not even finger tight. Just loose.

They loctighted it and torqued it back down.

Everyone check your bolts.

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
how do we check them can someone give me a detailed response that i can show to the viper tech?? or does the viper service manual have it in it??

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would even suggest everybody check them today, before they even drive it to their Viper tech? Just grab a socket wrench and make sure it isn't already coming out :-(

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
This seems to be a fairly common and well documented problem and under the right conditions could be a serious safety issue. DC should have stepped up and done a recall and had them all checked. At least Ford did the right thing on the suspension issue on the GT. DC get your head out of the sand and take care of your loyal Viper owners!

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT SIZE SOCKET TO USE TO TORQUE THE DAMPER BOLT AND ALSO WHAT IS THE TORQUE? THIS IMFORMATION WILL MAKE IT EASIER FOR OWNERS WHO NEED TO BUY A SOCKET.

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was looking through my service manual and it says tighten damper bolt to 340 Nm (250 ft. lbs.) Hope that helps :eek:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
You decide..."the year MAY matter"...

03 Manual says "250 ft-lbs"

04 Manual says "130 ft-lbs"

05 Manual says "130 ft-lbs"

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You decide..."the year MAY matter"...

so whats the right answer then :eek:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Try this:

Dan said in this post:

http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=UBB21&Number=406393&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&vc=1

VIPER SRT- PLEASE CHECK THAT AGAIN! I dont want anyone to see that and snap off the bolt! If your manual states that, it is WRONG. I have a 2004 manual in my hands, and it says 130 ft/lbs. As well, the 04-006 "recall" states 130 ft lbs.

It just wouldnt make sense- the damper bolt on Gen-2's is about 1-1/4", and IS 250 ft/lb's, the damper bolt on gen-3's is considerably smaller at only 13/16" (head size of course... dont know the thread sizes off the top of my head, but it will follow the same pattern) In a nutshell, you would never see a 6-Pt. 13/16 bolt with a 250 ft/lbs Tq spec, it is not large enough to handle the Tq without being either a 12 Pt. design, or a different material. Check your bolt size... unless they had an EARLY run of gen-2 sized damper bolts or something... it is a typo.

You may want to update your manual if it says that... it is not uncommon for first year manuals to have typos, as much of the material is carry-over from the 2002 manual. I have still found mistakes in the 2004 manual, but that is not one of them anymore.

PS- yes you can tighten the bolt without removing anything. on a lift is easiest, or simply use a 25-250 Ft-Lbs Tq wrench and a normal 1/2" drive 13/16" socket. position the Tq wrench between the passenger fender and the airbox. put car in 4th and make sure parking brake is set. Be careful not to grab anything other than the frame/cross member/inner tire to get leverage while tightening... would make for a bad day if you yanked the fender off the car!!! LOL

and GR8 ASP said: "Okay, just got back from a quick evaluation.

First, my 2003 has a 1 1/4 inch flat to flat headed bolt. So there is a difference (versus the 13/16 inch Daniel indicated above).

Second, and possibly more important, it had less than 50 ft-lb of breakaway torque (tightening direction). That is quite low no matter which torque spec is correct.

Third, can we get a definitive statement on the torque specification. My 2003 manual states 250 ft-lbs and Daniel's 2004 states 130 ft-lbs. What is correct?

Due to the question I only tightened it to 130 ft-lbs. Plus I do not have a torque wrench capable of 250 "

and Dan said: "
Viper SRT- looks like there may have actually been a run of early 1-1/4" bolts! if thats the case, it appears your manual is correct... as strange as it is. anyone else out there with a later 2003 that can check this...? interesting to see if it is a change from 2003-2004, or if it is a mid-year 2003 change.

Kinda weird though... as the gen-2 cars had some problems with the damper bolts being/coming loose... and their solution was to go with a smaller bolt...!?!?

I actually just pulled mine off... I had a full Tq of 130 Ft/lbs on mine, so that is some good news! (MDH 0206**)
It appears that SOME engineeing may have gone into this new bolt... the bolt is long and skinnier in the center, such bolts are used for their "spring" effect, which keeps things from comming loose even under vibration. LOL...either that or the other end of the spectrum, idiotic move with it coincidentally looking like they had a clue what they were doing!

Only way to know for sure is to measure the thread size, not the bolt size, compared to a Gen-2. if the bolt itself is the size of a gen-2 all the way, then 250 it is. if it is the same side threads as the 13/16's bolt, then it is simply a bigger head on the same threads.

Viper SRT- when you get a chance, pull your damper bolt out and measure the diameter of the threads on it. I will do the same in a few minutes and post the results. lets figure this out... "

and Dan noted: "Viper SRT- My Damper bolt is 9/16" Major Diameter on the threaded section. Yours...? "

and GR8 ASP noted: " Confirmed. The 2003 SRT damper bolt is the same as the Gen II (250 ft-lb spec as well). 2004 is new and common with the 5.7L HEMI. Not sure of the sizes.

This really lets me know that having the correct year service manual is very important."

HOPE THIS HELPS !!!

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since I have an 04 but with an 03 service manual I'll make sure I update that to 130 ft lbs

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only thing is guys if you crack it and you break the loctite you may have yo do it again properly.

To do the job properly you may have to undo then re-loctite and then touque.

VipeRicK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know if this is a problem in the 2005 Srt 10's ?
Was DC aware of this problem by then and corrected it?

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just got my car back from the shop (head and cam work), and one of the things the folks mentioned to me is that they discovered my crankshaft damper bolt was just about to fall out. It had backed out several turns and was not even finger tight. Just loose.

They loctighted it and torqued it back down.

Everyone check your bolts.

Dodge bought back my 1st srt b/c of that and dammage to the crank.

vd..

VipeRicK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are the 2005's affected by this problem or did DC
recognize it and correct it by then?

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kai, the 04's do in fact use a different torque spec. I went through this problem, last year.

The 03 and 04 do have different specs, for sure. Much has been said on this subject. I would remint the dealer about this major difference in torque specs, as they may not be aware of it.

Kai, my balancer was ruined from slipping on the crank snout. If your bolt was this loose, chances are the balancer is ruined. It will come loose again regardless of locktite, and proper torqueing. If it slips on there for to long, the crank will be ruined. I personally know a few guys that ruined there crank. The balancer is of a softer metal than the crank, but to much running will ruin the crank also.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
wow... thats a post from the past...before we had a clue what was going on.

Anyway, yes, the 2004's are indeed a different spec than the 03's. This actually IS NOT an issue with the car...unless it was never torqued correctly to begin with. The 2005's do have the same bolt as 2004. If EVERYONE would check & loctite their bolts, this issue would go away.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cam someone give us usefull imformation here that is 100% correct. First off bolts are not measured by their head sizes. Head sizes of the hex head are not importand. What is importand is what is thread size, thread pitch, and grade of the bolt? So the question is what does a 2003, 2004, 2005, and 2006 engine use and what is the proper torque?

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are only 2 sizes. Let's call them the big one and the small one. The small one is 130 ft-lb and the big one is 250 ft-lb. And yes, the hex size is the best way to differentiate them (you do not have to remove it to know).

Big - 1 1/4 inch flat to flat 250 ft-lb
Small - 13/16 inch flat to flat 130 ft-lb

wbexxon

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When Woodhouse installed the Paxton I am sure they had to remove and replace the bolt.. so if you had or have a Paxton the bolt should be fine.right?

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When Woodhouse installed the Paxton I am sure they had to remove and replace the bolt.. so if you had or have a Paxton the bolt should be fine.right?

Yes, but even so I plan on removing and reloctiting over the winter. An si did the install so I know it was done before. But this is one area I want to be sure. Note I also plan on doing a Paxton belt repacement at the same time, so that next year has a fresh start.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very front of the crankshaft. If you do not know where that is you may want to have a mechanic do it for you :) As you look at the front of the engine the crankshaft nose (front) with damper and pullay attached is near the bottom. The accessory belt wraps around the crankshaft damper mounted crank pulley.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Earlier in this thread I posted:

" You decide..."the year MAY matter"...

---------------------------------------

Now (thanks to Tim in Parts at Indy's Champion Dodge) here more info taken straight from the Dodge computer (with a little extra effort).

Crankshaft Damper Bolts:

2003 part number 6036207AA size 0.75x16x2.250 (inches)

2004 part number 6506340AA size M14x1.5x102.0 (metric)

2005 part number 6506340AA size M14x1.5x102.0 (metric)

2005 part number 6036207AA size 0.75x16x2.250 (inches)

2006 part number 6036207AA size 0.75x16x2.250 (inches)

LOOKS TO ME AS THOUGH THERE WAS A RUNNING CHANGE SOMETIME IN THE 2005 MODEL YEAR.

By the way, I have ordered one of each just to compare.

Hope this helps !!!

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Until someone checks an 06 coupe, I do not believe Computer systems that are affiliated with Dodge! LOL. They are wrong so often it is amazing anything gets accomplished.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R