ORANGE PEEL, at least it's shiney orange peel.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ORANGE PEEL, at least it\'s shiney orange peel.

Any new SRT10 owners have this issue? Hey, at least it's shiney! ;)

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

womsterr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: ORANGE PEEL, at least it\'s shiney orange peel.

Whew - that is some seriously bad bad paint....

Chryslers black is notoriously poor though. I had a black Ram 1500 that they had to repaint it had so many runs in it. Serves me right for picking it up on an overcast day ;)

OP
OP
G

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It's not as bad as it looks beleive it or not. I'm actually happy with it.. It's that certain angle and just dark enough to shade the orange peel. But it's all over the car..

Do I have any recourse to get a repaint, etc..?

Gerald

OP
OP
G

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

oh by the way, the red reflection is my other viper

I just wanted to make that clear :2tu: :smirk: ;)

I was at the tag office yesterday. Was thinking of ORNGPL ;)

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My silver car had none! Orange peel is usually indicative of thicker paint, so it's not really a bad thing if it doesn't look too bad.

OP
OP
G

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks BC.... It's not that bad really.The high res camera REALLY makes it look 10x worse.. I was just wondering if other SRT owners have it.

EVERY non metal bodied car I've had, red, white, black, etc.. EVERYONE has had orange peel.. Corvettes, Viper RT10's, Viper GTS's, Viper SRT10's.. grrrr

G

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I had it very bad on my Vette, only really noticable at certain angles and lighting. GM black was a nightmare. Thin as hell, got sandblasted off the wheel wells in two months.

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Gerald, I've got some in my black car. But with all the sheetrock dust everywhere I go around here, you can't tell anyway.

gts_2001

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No orange peel noted so far on the SRT Coupe and none on the 2001 GTS even after this many years. I don't recall any on the 03 SRT either. Must be a variable occurrence. I'm not sure I'd mind even if I had it, looks kind of cool to me.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Orange peel on mine is most noticeable on the soft plastic fenders. Fronts worse than rears. And on the hood side of the fenders is worse than the sides. The level of orange peel at the worst is about par for a vette. The better areas are much better, but not as good as my Gen I was. I would say overall the finish is a class 8 an compared to the class 9 on my Gen I.

Glover

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Gerald, I am a custom painter by trade, and a little orange peel in the clear is quite common on factory paint. If it really troubles you, you could take it to a reputable body shop. Let me repeat-reputable. Any time a finish is sanded and buffed, material is taken off to level everything out. They would be able to block-sand the clear to even out the finish, and then follow up with a buffing. Keep in mind that it tends to be more difficult to maintain a "slick" paint job versus one from the factory. Especially black. That is why factory paint looks the way it does. Easier for the factory, cheaper and easier to maintain by the customer.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Orange peel is usually indicative of thicker paint, so it's not really a bad thing if it doesn't look too bad.

...So says the car salesman. "It is supposed to smoke like that. That means that this baby has POWER!"

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A good body shop should be able to wet-sand and buff it out to make it shiny AND smooth. I don't think it would cost that much.

Jeff

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth