Ok Guys..Check Engine Light Question

New97owner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '97 GTS has 21,000 miles, and the only thing I have done recently is removed the cats, resonators and muffler, and replaced them with a set of glasspacks. This evening (after about 100 miles since the cat delete), the check engine light came on. I am a former Vette guy (please forgive me... :eek: ),but on the Vette, I could find the problem by using a short piece of wire and crossing 2 diagnostic terminals. Is there a way to do this on the GTS? I know nothing about OBD2, as I think the '97 has? Can I take it to a dealer and let them plug in a diagnostic tester and diagnose the light? I know the '97 cat removal doesn't suppose to activate the check engine light (or so I was told), but I would like to know if this is the reason, or if I have another problem. I know this sounds elementary to most of you guys, but I am lost here (shade tree mechanic here at best).
Thanks,
Mike

Reaction score
Yes...you can cycle the key on-off-on-off-on and watch the flashes. I have the write-up in my manual (and it is here on the board somewhere). The check engine light will flash a series of flashes. I honestly have only done it ONCE...and I had someone with a clue on the cell phone with me to assist. :)

I got the reader that Sean Roe sells...worked like a charm.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Clear the code with a code reader.. ONly about 75 bucks at your local parts dept.. Or they can clear it for you.

You'll also need , I think , to look into rear simms for your rear 02 sensors. Do a search on this board and you'll find your answers.. They're pretty simple to install, just take out the old 02's and plug the new simms in their place. YOur sig states you have a '97.. I dunno if they have front and rear 02 sensors, but my 98 does...
If you don't do this, the code will keep coming back...

Hope that helped. Sheeeit, and I hope my advice was right too.. LOL!!

Gerald

OP
OP
N

New97owner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, I appreciate it..one more question from a newbie...where is the diagnostic connector located on the '97? (I know that may seem to be a stupid question, but I really have not looked for it).
Mike

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A couple of minor corrections:

The OBD port is by your left knee. Before you clear the code find out what the number is so you know the issue. It will be a series of flashs with a pause between the numbers. The codes are unniversal in most cases and apply to all OBDII cars.

Second, the 97 should not throw a code because you removed the cats, there has to be another issue. Perhaps you damaged a sensor or sensor wire. The 99 or 00 was the first year where the PCM created the need for simms.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The OBD port is by your left knee

Jack is correct, I was giving the location for my XJR ( and nobody asked for it!!!)

Luc.00GTS

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The OBD port is by your left knee. Before you clear the code find out what the number is so you know the issue. It will be a series of flashs with a pause between the numbers. The codes are unniversal in most cases and apply to all OBDII cars.

Second, the 97 should not throw a code because you removed the cats, there has to be another issue. Perhaps you damaged a sensor or sensor wire. The 99 or 00 was the first year where the PCM created the need for simms.
1998 the rear O2 sensors were installed needing SIMMS if going catless.

OP
OP
N

New97owner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I will have to check it out with a reader..but I do know that on my '97, it does have sensors after (where the cats and resonators were at). It has 2 before where the cats were, and 2 after. I didn't think catless would throw a code on a '97, or so I was told...but an OBDII reader will let me know I suppose.
Thanks Again, and I will post the results of the diagnosis,
Mike

Chuck B 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

1998 the rear O2 sensors were installed needing SIMMS if going catless.
That's true, the 98 needs sims if you remove the cats.

OP
OP
N

New97owner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well...on some '97's...going catless must throw a code after all. I stopped by and used the OBDII, and it shows the following info:
PO432
Main Catalyst
Below Threshold
Bank 2
The tech says it is throwing the code because the cats have been removed. Oh well...just my luck! I guess now I have to purchase some simms...unless someone else has another idea? I suppose she was correct on the code?
Thanks,
Mike

Eric H

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 98 has no cats and i have never thrown a code, i got a nice Tekmate code reader that also graphs dyno charts and gives all sorts of reading for $75 on ebay, works great.

worth every penny

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine is a 97, no cats and no code. When Tom Welch first started selling the Balengers, he sold dozens for 97/98 cars without throwing a code (many with no cats). Maybe if Tom's aboard, he can comment.

Mike:
Did you reconnect the rear O2 sensors?

OP
OP
N

New97owner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jack, they never were disconnected, as the friend doing the work just removed the cats and resonators and replaced the cats with short glasspack mufflers (12" I think), and welded in a straight pipe in place of the resonators. In the location the O2 sensors behind the resonators, they were never touched. I have driven the Viper about 125 miles since resetting the code, and so far no code...
Mike

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235