Things we DO NOT want in a new Viper...

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems the Corvette guys are having problems tracking their C6s. (No word yet if this happens with the Z06)

Apparently, if you use a set of track wheels that do not have the tire pressure sensors installed (and they are expensive and unnecessary on a track wheel), the car thinks you have a flat tire and won't allow you to go into "competition mode" or do any aggressive driving for fear you'll hurt yourself. It may also limit you to 55 MPH.

THIS is exactly what we need to make sure D-C DOES NOT DO if they add any sort of traction control or stability control to the next gen car.

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually it opens a market for anyone that can create a 'runflat simulator' eliminator. Kinda like the skip shift eliminator.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the first I have heard of this but agree that this would not be a good thing and far out wieghs the advantages of TC. Do you have a link to where this is happening?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
More gadgets always equal more problems. Down time after paying big $$$ for track rental really *****.

All I want is a big motor and big wheels.

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually it opens a market for anyone that can create a 'runflat simulator' eliminator. Kinda like the skip shift eliminator.

The last time I looked at a car with tire pressure sensors they were on a seperate fuse. So the simple solution might be just to pull that fuse while running the aftermarket wheels.

nevrenuf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sorry to pour water on this fire, but your claim is simply not true.

Tire pressure sensors for a C6, for a set of four, cost $163...

You can easily affix them to any wheel, even if not via the valve stem, by using a metal strap or epoxy. I've had several sets of aftermarket wheels on my vettes and have dealt with this issue many times.. no big deal.

The absolute worst case? You can buy a pressure box. Basically a small sealed box. You put 4 sensors inside, put the cover on, pressurize the box with 28lbs air... problem solved.. under $200 complete.. run any tires and wheels you want..

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You can easily affix them to any wheel, even if not via the valve stem, by using a metal strap or epoxy. I've had several sets of aftermarket wheels on my vettes and have dealt with this issue many times.. no big deal.

The absolute worst case? You can buy a pressure box. Basically a small sealed box. You put 4 sensors inside, put the cover on, pressurize the box with 28lbs air... problem solved.. under $200 complete.. run any tires and wheels you want..

Still too much trouble for me. No want on Viper.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for the clarification, but you're still a planted troll. :p

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Heh... just think... all the McGuyver fixit boxes you'll need to shut down all the nanny-tech will probably catch up to the SRT coupe's weight. :D

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Still too much trouble for me. No want on Viper.

Actually Chuck, the SRT's do have a Tire Pressure Monitoring System.

However, Dodge wasnt ridiculous enough to tie that in with engine control! (And its any wonder GM has electrical problems?)

If you are dumb enough to do 200 MPH in your car, then take a turn at 100 MPH all while your "Lo Tire" Light is blinking at you and the chime is dinging repeatedly, then you deserve what you get.

kwiksilver

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck, Chuck, Chuck..... The SRT 10 I bought didn't come with a cupholder. However I chose to take out the ash tray and install a ring to help make it one. I drive it to work and sometimes even to the golden arches. I would rather spill coffee or diet coke in it than drop a lit smoke. Why does that bother you enough to keep harping on it???? Did Chrysler put that huge potato slicer on the back of your viper, or did you get it at a ricer convention??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

M. ROD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cupholders, electro nanny stability systems to save your butt if you can’t handle the beast.........

that just goes against the character of the car. The Viper is unique. The car’s visage is imposing, its presence commands respect. When you push the start button to stroke those big 10-cylinders to life, a whopping-big growling grunt rumbles out from under the hood. At idle, there’s enough fury to shake the whole car. This ain’t no damn, wussy-ass Aston Martin grand tourer. That V-10 is so powerful its downright violent. It’s pure, unvarnished, wet-your-pants performance. Mechanically and visually, the Viper is just plain MEAN. And that's the way it should stay.

A conversation between Matt Stone(Motor Trend Magazine Executive Editor) and Herb Helbig (Viper's Cheif Engineer):

-Stone: Five-hundred-anything-horsepower is a lot, ever thought of adding traction control?

-Helbig: It comes with two ( pointing to Stone's feet), learn to use them.

-Stone: Got it.

No Driver Nanny!

If you want or need a Driver Nanny buy a SL55AMG or Corvette!

More Power! Less Weight, More Grip, Better Braking; Summary more g's all directions.

Exactly.

Vipers: MEAN ********** MACHINES :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

43821a.jpg

4382Viper6.jpg

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since I don't know what's on an SRT, I'll split my list into keepers and discards.

Keepers:
- ABS (safety)
- Air bags (safety)
- Cruise control (for those 500 mile days)

Discards:
- Traction control (potentially reduced performance)
- Tire pressure sensors (extra money and weight)
- Cup holders (useless at 1.05G)

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
IMHO, Tire pressure sensors are an absolute MUST. come on, how much weight and money do they add? maybe 1/2 pound and 100 bucks? Is that not a trade off worth not having to worry about ruining a wheel or killing yourself or your car from a nail in the road? Vipers pull ruts like crazy...it it quite easy to mistake a rut for a flat tire. Just the other night a new customer of mine was literally a mile or two away fron ruining his rim. Killed the tire...thats for sure. New car, little nail was all it took. Happened all in one ride. No idea until he pulled in his garage. a Tire Light would have alerted him to that.

Now, a tire pressure system that screws with anything other than a LIGHT and CHIME, is a no-no.

kwiksilver

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think in the future, for liability reasons, all run flats will have sensors. That said, they don't need to screw with the performance of the car.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why does that bother you enough to keep harping on it???? Did Chrysler put that huge potato slicer on the back of your viper, or did you get it at a ricer convention??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

It bothers me because as M. Rod said, "it goes against the character of the car." Look, you guys are getting your way. Eventually the Viper will have all those bells and whistles so many of you claim to need because the car is too much of a beast, :rolleyes: and then it will be just like a Vette. Goody-goody. I will be the last of the purists to go down fighting. Let me have at least that, ok?

And it's not a potato slicer it's a work bench. I have limited garage space.

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No paddle shifters
No clear tail lights
No traction control
Tire pressure sensors are just another thing that can go wrong.
No skip shift ( We pay gas guzzler tax and deserve to enjoy consuming it)
And No navigation system.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMHO, Tire pressure sensors are an absolute MUST. come on, how much weight and money do they add? maybe 1/2 pound and 100 bucks? Is that not a trade off worth not having to worry about ruining a wheel or killing yourself or your car from a nail in the road? Vipers pull ruts like crazy...it it quite easy to mistake a rut for a flat tire. Just the other night a new customer of mine was literally a mile or two away fron ruining his rim. Killed the tire...thats for sure. New car, little nail was all it took. Happened all in one ride. No idea until he pulled in his garage. a Tire Light would have alerted him to that.

Am I to understand this guy drove around on a flat and didn't realize it until he pulled into his garage? If so, then you are correct, IDIOT LIGHTS are made specifically for him. More to the point, he shouldn't be driving a Viper, he should be driving a minivan.

But what if the sensor isn't functioning properly? Maybe we should have backup sensors for idiots that don't know what a flat tire feels like or know what a tire pressure gauge is?

There is a car for people like your driver-challenged customer. It's as fast as a Viper, looks like a Viper and cost 20K less than a Viper. It even begins with the letter "V".

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Chuck, I shouldnt have to explain this to you, but I will anyway.

First of all, the Tire Pressure Monitor CHECKS all sensors for correct functioning as soon as the car starts rolling. If the sensor doesnt "check in," you get a different type of chime/light than if it is actually low. A correctly working system will them beep and intermittent chime if the pressure drops below 19 PSI, and then a constant chime if it drops below 10 PSI (if I recall correctly)

Now, as for my customer, first of all, you have NO idea what our roads are like up here, so how can you make any judgement? Our ruts on some roads here feel exactly like a flat tire, trust me, I have HAD ONE in a Viper, I know exactly what it feels like on a normal road.

I saw the car THAT NIGHT, an hour and 30 miles before this happened. That tire was not flat, no way, no how. The pressure had been checked on it literally 2 days before and was fine. That tire went from 20+ PSI to ~5 PSI in a matter of minutes.

Before you go off on someone like that again, how about you drive your car up here and we'll play Pepsi Challenge in it.

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Am I to understand this guy drove around on a flat and didn't realize it until he pulled into his garage? If so, then you are correct, IDIOT LIGHTS are made specifically for him. More to the point, he shouldn't be driving a Viper, he should be driving a minivan.

But what if the sensor isn't functioning properly? Maybe we should have backup sensors for idiots that don't know what a flat tire feels like or know what a tire pressure gauge is?

There is a car for people like your driver-challenged customer. It's as fast as a Viper, looks like a Viper and cost 20K less than a Viper. It even begins with the letter "V".

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think in the future, for liability reasons, all run flats will have sensors. That said, they don't need to screw with the performance of the car.

Actually, in a few years, federal law will mandate that all new cars sold in the US will have pressure sensors, runflats or no.

I think pressure sensors make a lot of sense, even on non-runflats. The system just needs to be thought out well enough to avoid problems when going to the track or drag strip.

Mach500

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NO paddle shifter, instead factory short-throw shifter.

NO spare tire that adds to overall weight, instead keep runflats (perhaps w/ improved traction) AND tire pressure sensors.

NO more gadgets that add to the overall weight, instead employ more weight-saving material (even at higher price).

NO factory supercharger, instead keep it NAed (w/ more power, of course) or TTed.

AND as an OPTION, add TC and/or SC for those of us who do NOT regularly track our cars. GO AHEAD and flame me all you want, you track rats! :2tu:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you have NO idea what our roads are like up here, so how can you make any judgement?

Jeeze, you'd think I'd spent my entire 45 years and 130,000 Viper miles all in the state of Florida.

Anyone from Illinois wanna chime in here and let us know what your roads are like? How about Ohio, Iowa, Indiana, Wisconsin?

Like I said, you guys are gradually gonna get all your little safety gadgets to tame "the beast" LOL. And you'll be so happy with your Vet.., er...I mean Viper all the more. About that time I'll buy as many GenIIs as I can and look at Radicals or Nobles for the track. Until then you're stuck with me. Peace.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper