what is the best gearing ?

wbexxon

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We were talking about lowering the gear ratio in my 2005 Viper. One guy said it would help with 1/4 mile, I said not with a supercharger it would redline even quicker then it does now and would also be even harder to launch. What do you guys think?
Brian

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
At 700 rwhp I would hate to try to launch the car with 355's and run craps. On drag radials it would be fine.

you should dive a srt with a blower and gears 1st. then decide

vd..

dirk989

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For those of you who have gone to 3.55s, where did you get it done and about what did it cost?

Dirk

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dirk - your local Viper tech should be able to handle the gear change for you. Figure somewhere in the neighborhood of $1K parts/labor.

Volltage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3.55s are so much fun for whatever you are doing. It took my installer 1 1/2 days to do the install, and got the gears from Parts Rack Jon B. Total cost was $1100 and worth every penny.

OP
OP
W

wbexxon

Viper Owner
Reaction score
my viper does have a supercharger I was wondering if the gears would be better at the drag strip

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Like ViperD says, you can't really use the power with 3.55's and street tires. I took mine out and went back to 3.07s. Depends on how you want to use the car.

Do you want to go or spin? Go = 3.07's or at most 3.33's with sticky tires. 3.55's and up = spin city with out BFG Drag Radials or Slicks.

Unitrax is the place to get your gears. Call Devin. Install should take about 1 day. I wouldn't put 3.55's in a supercharged car without doing the Quaife too. You will blow the hyrdoloc, it's just a matter of time. I blew two of them.

Good luck.

Dan

repiv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Supposedly no one is makeing the 3.33's for the Viper at the moment, although JohnB at Partsrack says that next Feb an Italian co. will have some made

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
do you need to do amy reprograming if the cumputer? Does the 3:55 gears make 6th gear usable as now there really is no use for 6th gear. Hell I never even get into 5th gear until around 75 mph. You loose to much accelleration in 5th and 6th.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The answer is NO. For the Gen III vehicle speed is calculated by the ABS system. Therefore a change in gearing has no effect. However, a change in tire diameter will (but that is just to make the guys who get smaller tires to think they are going faster).

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Atro,

Add power, 6th gear becomes very useable.

3.55's help a stock car a bunch.

No problems with the speedo as GR8 ASP says.