Note for ICRUZE users who have iPod Mini's

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Note for ICRUZE users who have iPod Mini\'s

Just wanted to drop a note on the board;

If you happen to be using an iCruze interface adapter on your radio, and are also using an iPod Mini, MAKE SURE you have software version 1.3 on your Mini! This is NOT the current software, which is now 1.4

I updated my Mini yesterday, and 1.4 *****. It echos, is very slow to react to song changes, freezes up, etc. Re-loaded it just in case, same thing. Pulled my old updater (3-23-2005) off my other computer, reloaded that, works perfectly again. I suspect it is acting like this because of the new PodCast crap... just one more thing for the Operating System to run.

I know some of you guys have had problems with the iCruze, rest assured, it is NOT Monster Cables fault. Apple is the only company I know of that can advance their products backwards.

If anyone is using the system, I highly advise using an iPod Mini with the 1.3 software. It is the only setup that I have found that works 100% correctly. Other iPods, especially the large capacity ones and iPod Photo's, are incredibly slow to react to song changes and freeze up often due to their complex operating systems for color and/or huge hard drives. Trust me on this, you wont be sorry. A 6-Gig Mini is the perfect size. It allows for the ideal 10-playlists at 99 songs each, and about 1.5 gigs of extra space after that if you have some really long songs, etc. I have gone for over 6 months now with the mini hooked up, not one bump, skip, echo, or freeze up since I had put it in the car. Well, until 1.4 at least!

TedK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Note for ICRUZE users who have iPod Mini\'s

Jeeez, I almost bought an Ipod and Icruze. Instead decided to download free Itunes from apple, download free music files, and burn my own 80 minute CD's. With the stock 6-CD radio thats 8 hours of custom listening, enough for me.

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

TedK- Trust me, when you have a setup that works, it works well. Just plain awesome is the only way I can describe it. There is a big difference between 80 songs and 1500 songs. I did not need to change songs on my iPod for an entire summer, and I still had not listened to everything. For they guys running Navigation like myself, it is a no-brainer. Never having to remove the MAP disc, while at the same time having access to 1000+ songs is very cool. If you divide by genre, and then sort alphabetically, it makes finding things a snap, even without a screen to show you song names. (I am working on a custom display install too...should be cool. Goal is to make it part of the console floor, or put it into the console lid underside)

I have installed enough of them to know exactly how to do it to get flawless results...I have been doing it since the day they came out. The instructions and the setup itself are not 100% correct for a Viper, thats why people have issues. I have thought about putting together a complete plug-and-play package, but there is not enough of a demand for it. The systems I have built are all 1-off's depending what the customer wanted, but all work perfectly with the exception of one iPod Photo that acts up every once in a while, but the customer doent think its a big enough deal to warrant picking up a mini.

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Gawd, just admitting I cannot get with the new thing. 1500 songs??? I am not sure I know that many, let alone consider them to be my 1500 most favorite songs. Geez, that is over 100 albums.

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Cris- Let me know if interested...I can put something together for you that WORKS. Hell, I'll even load the iPod with my own stuff...LOL. But yes, an iPod Mini 4G is 1000 songs, 6G is 1500 songs. You can even get up to a 60G Ipod Photo, though they are finicky with any type of adapter as I have found out... way too much crap in the OS that isnt needed.

04 SRT10 Owner

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Guys,
Dan put in my Ipod photo which still can't store all my cd's( stores 15,000 tunes but you can't have everything) but I couldn't imagine going back to the 6 cd option. I also have the navigation system and previously a 6 cd changer. Now I don't have to carry around all those cd's. The sound quality is great. If better technology exists why not take advantage of it? Of course to each his own.

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I can't get my ipod to work properly in my car. In my opinion its too slow.

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Ricky- What iPod are you using? If I remember correctly, the guys who installed your didnt listen to my advice either for powering options...? Remember, the iPods themselves are slow, it is not the radio or the iCruze.

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dan - I agree with you its the IPOD thats slow. It freezes up the screen and everything run perfect. And yes the dirty ******** didn't listen to what I said and installed it the way they wanted! I took your advice of powering the radio off before turning the car off and powering it back on after the car is on which has worked well for the past little bit. I am using a 4th gen 20 gig ipod :)

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Ricky- I highly advise using a Mini. Pick one off Ebay for a hundred bucks and your problems will go away. Also, when the snow flies up by you, mail me your Interface Adapter and the two cables. I dont need the main unit or the cable between the iCruze and iPod. I will modify them to how they should be.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets