NEW viper engine!!!!!!!625 hp 8.3 liter!

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yup new engine? possibly for the new acr? watch out blue devil!!heres some info from the alley

Chrysler has a majority ownership in a company called Ilmor. Ilmor produces V-10 racing engines for formula one and has been one of the instrumental forces in the design and building of the viper 8.3L V-10.

Recently they have begun producing boat engines and are now offering a NA 8.3L Viper block V-10 with an output of 625.

You must be registered for see images

Power: 625 BHP @ 5,800 RPM
Torque: 600 ft lb @ 4,700 RPM
Full Throttle RPM Range: 5,400 - 6,000 RPM
Engine Configuration: 90 degree V10
Capacity: 505 ci (8.3 liters)
Bore & Stroke: 4.030 in / 3.960 in
Compression Ratio: 9.6 to 1
Fuel Requirement: 92 (R+M) / 2
Closed Cooling: Standard
Knock Control: Standard
Total Weight: 800 lbs*
*Dry weight including CMI Headers

AlbertFattal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats a water cooled boat motor (The M stands for Marine on the motor), I don't think they will use that for a future ACR

womsterr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yepper that is the same boat motor they have been producing.

I think the extra hp comes from the fact it has no emissions, less accessories to drive and that it has an inexhaustable supply of coolant.

Actually this setup has a Fresh Water Cooling (FWC) setup on the front there. I would love to have two of these in my boat instead of the 7.4 Mercs...

prosthogod

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The cooling system is a closed cooling system that uses lake water to cool a heat exchange. The engine does not run flow through, it runs radiator temps. If I am correct the cam changes are for duration that doesn't allow water reversion from the wet headers. I can tell you they sound great on the water. I still believe Ilmor could give back some of their computer mods to us street guys.

kmg99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't look like "wet headers" to me. The engine in the picture has dry exhaust and is using the traditional cooling system.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is boat engine with dry exhaust meant for racing only. All high performance pleasure boats require wet exhaust systems. I find it interesting that Ilmore has been able to produce this marine engine with a HEAT EXCHANGER CLOSED COOLING SYSTEM something that Mercuriser says can not be done.

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have spoken to Ilmore guys at our Poker Run.This motor is very under rated and even de tuned sum what because it keeps blowing Bravo drives with all its torque.It has only been able to work with number 6 drives.He did say however not to count dodge out of the horsepower wars and left it at that. :)