Viper Roadster or Viper Coupe

Turbo63

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just curious to get forum member perspective - the greatest thing about the Viper roadster is a 500hp/525lb torque convertible - also regardless of where you live open air motoring on a really nice day can't be beat - just curious where the opinions regarding the roadster to the coupe fall - would you switch to a coupe from a convertible - if so why?

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
for tracking the car, better high speed aerodynamics(marginally). although the coupe is appox. 80 lbs heavier. traditionally the RT-10 has been quicker in drag racing than the gts(with same HP), due to lighter weight also. for many the lure of the road course will sell quite a few coupes to people who will not fit rollbars tho their SRT-10 verts. the closed car also has a little more storage/luggage space than the vert. personally i like to top on my toys to go down(with the exception of a ford gt hopefully some day), like you said there is nothing like open air motoring.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with MIke. I need/want the ability to top down cruise therefore the convertible is the only way to go. If I wanted a dedicated track car a coupe would be required. Note for track both really need roll bars. I think having a convertible with a hardtop for spring/fall and for track days is the optimum for me.

As a side note we are having a gorgeous weekend here. 60's and bright sunshine. You cannot beat a convertible on days like these!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't consider the SRT/10 a roadster. The GenI&II were roadsters. A bunch of folks whined for a "true" convertible so Dodge left the roadster for the vert.

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roll-up (or power-up) windows distinguish a convertible from a roadster.

I prefer a coupe in my muscle cars (which is what I consider the Viper).

Don

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To each his own. My first two Vipers are RT/10's and the most recent is the Coupe. The new SRT/10 convertible is easier to "pull the top". On the older RT's, even when it's a nice day in CO, it can still be cold so the tops stay on more than half the year. I bought the Coupe because it's out and different. Time will tell which one I enjoy more.

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Sylvan, the RT/10 stopped being a true roadster when it got real windows.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
traditionally the RT-10 has been quicker in drag racing than the gts(with same HP), due to lighter weight also.

WRONG. The RT and GTS have the same factory curb weight of 3440 lbs. The GTS has a .15 lower cd. GTS is faster in the .25 mile with equal power. :D

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Turbo63 --

I had a client drive me in his 289 Shelby Cobra a few years ago with the top down. The experience of the V-8 and the open air was really impressive (and more than slightly scary since we were on some pretty high altitude logging roads in Oregon. That drive inspired me to find a modern day version of the convertible Cobra. After doing some research, I came to the conclusion that the 2003+ Dodge Viper convertible is in fact the closest if not the only modern day analog to the 427 Cobra: (1) front-mounted, big block engine (V-10 not a V-8 but close enough), (2) a true convertible top for open air driving and (3) a simple, relatively pure approach to performance, i.e., big engine, wide tires, large brakes, true manual tranny, stiff chassis and good handling characteristics without the electronic driving aids that are becoming so commonplace on high end sports cars and sedans (SMG, DSC, PSM, "active handling", etc.)

In short, the convertible was really the only option for me.

/Rich

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would love to have both, but I love convertibles more than coupes.

Nothing like cruising on a beautiful clear day with the top down and the wind in my . . . er . . . on my scalp! : )

If I can only have one, it's gotta be the vert.

Mach10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vert for me... I love the shape of the new coupe but i love the ability to drop the top when i feel like it and enjoy the whole wind in your hair feel... :2tu:

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen II coupe and roadster may have stated equal weights, but only one can leave its roof on the ground back at the pits :)

The numbers I have heard for Gen III Cd's are very close between the two. Definitely no .15 difference.

VipeRicK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It really is a personal thing, there is no right or wrong, but for me a convertible is the only thing I will consider.
I love open air driving, and if I want I can put my top up, or buy a hardtop to go with my 2005 SRT 10. So really you can have your cake and eat it too with a SRT 10. as far as I know you can't take a roof off a coupe EVER !!!