Anyone have a step by step instruction for replacing springs?

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am thinking of doing the Eibach's myself. Any help would be appreciated.

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
1. Get car into the air and on four safe stands.
2. Remove wheels.
3. Remove shocks. 1 bolt on top and one on the bottom.
4. Remove stock springs. This is where it gets tricky. Finding a tool that will compress and allow you to remove the stock springs safely and without scratching was my biggest challange.
5. Re-adjust your damping on all 4 shocks before installing new springs is also a must (unless you like a bouncy ride). I like a stiff race car feel, so mine are stiff. PM me and I'll give you my phone # for details.
6. Install Eibachs, which is much easier than removing the stock because they are shorter and require less compression. Don't be alarmed when you see the springs don't fit tight. This is normal.
7. Reinstall shocks and torque nuts to spec. Again I have my manual at home and can get specs for you if needed.
8. Go for an alignment. I also have those specs if you want. Mild track/street setup. I removed my sport shims before alignment. You don't need to. If you want a more street setup then you can go with less negative camber and then remove sport shims for road racing. Sport shims= -1 camber.
9. Have fun, it looks soo much better especially side by side with stock setup. You will really notice a difference.

OP
OP
I

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
1. Get car into the air and on four safe stands.
2. Remove wheels.
3. Remove shocks. 1 bolt on top and one on the bottom.
4. Remove stock springs. This is where it gets tricky. Finding a tool that will compress and allow you to remove the stock springs safely and without scratching was my biggest challange.
5. Re-adjust your damping on all 4 shocks before installing new springs is also a must (unless you like a bouncy ride). I like a stiff race car feel, so mine are stiff. PM me and I'll give you my phone # for details.
6. Install Eibachs, which is much easier than removing the stock because they are shorter and require less compression. Don't be alarmed when you see the springs don't fit tight. This is normal.
7. Reinstall shocks and torque nuts to spec. Again I have my manual at home and can get specs for you if needed.
8. Go for an alignment. I also have those specs if you want. Mild track/street setup. I removed my sport shims before alignment. You don't need to. If you want a more street setup then you can go with less negative camber and then remove sport shims for road racing. Sport shims= -1 camber.
9. Have fun, it looks soo much better especially side by side with stock setup. You will really notice a difference.

Hey man, thanks for taking the time to write that $hit out, I appreciate it. When I get the springs, I will hit you with a pm for the specs.

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No problem. There are a few more details I didn't bother to write, but I can help you those when t6he time comes.

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One VERY important point. Do not tighten any of the shock bolts until the vehicle is at ride height(weight on the suspension). To do this I placed blocks under the rotors and allowed the weight to transfer to the suspension. If you do not the shock mounts will be binding and the ride height will not be correct.

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great info. Is there any rub issues with Eibach? I am reading a few post about having to have your wheels turned to open hood etc. I have 19" with identical rolling height as stock. Also, how much can I expect to drop with the springs? I am hearing about an inch front and inch and half for the rear...

Thank you!

OP
OP
I

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
One VERY important point. Do not tighten any of the shock bolts until the vehicle is at ride height(weight on the suspension). To do this I placed blocks under the rotors and allowed the weight to transfer to the suspension. If you do not the shock mounts will be binding and the ride height will not be correct.

Did anyone not do this step? Will ride height be lower or higher?

cagleman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't there a screw (or knob) at the base of the shock that adjusts the damping?

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
On the STOCK KONI you will need to remove the spring, then completely compress the shock. You will feel it grab something inside of the shock and turn it open counter clockwise or closed clockwise. If the shocks have never been off the car before, you will find that they are set at the most open position.
Preloading the suspension is a good idea, but not a must as the shocks have bushings that allow them to move without binding. Like when they are actually being used. The rubber/steel bushing doesn't add to the effect of the suspention.

OP
OP
I

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
On the STOCK KONI you will need to remove the spring, then completely compress the shock. You will feel it grab something inside of the shock and turn it open counter clockwise or closed clockwise. If the shocks have never been off the car before, you will find that they are set at the most open position.
Preloading the suspension is a good idea, but not a must as the shocks have bushings that allow them to move without binding. Like when they are actually being used. The rubber/steel bushing doesn't add to the effect of the suspention.

as always, good info, thanks bro.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper