Owner of 2004 Z06 wants to race....what do you think?

Gottaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2004 Z06 with air filter, stiffer spings, and getting chipped in the spring wants to race right after the chip is done. Thinks he has all the ability in the world to crush my Viper. Thoughts?? Sounds like I have time to get heads and cam done before spring.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so in that case it must be an 03, and with your mods I think you would take him, UNLESS HES LYING.

filter as we all know does VERY little, and a chip on a non turbo car does NOT do too much either.

With heads and cam you will make him look even dumber but I dont think you will have a problem as your car sits now.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm guessing this is not a new ZO6.
The last gen ZO6s should be about as fast as your gen1.

If you race him at the strip, it really will be decided by who knows how to drive.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's incorrect, there was an 2004 Z-06. The Z-06 started in 2001 as an derivative of the 1999-2000 FRC. Z-06's have existed since then except for 2005.

GARY J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not trying to be a party pooper, but I think he will have the edge before the HC package. If you get your work done, you will have no problem beating him. No big deal, just race him and see. Let us know.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there was no Z06 in 04

HUH..........?

C5 - 5th Generation Z-06 - 2001 - 2004, 4 model years, 385hp on the 01, 405hp on the 02 - 04.

C6 - 6th Generation Z-06 - 2006 model year, just hit the streets late august / September 505hp

NO 2005 model z-06

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I own both a gen 2 viper and an 04 zo6, and I can tell you from experience that unless you are very familiar and capable of driving the viper the zo6 will probably win.

When driving the zo6 I have no problems with vipers for the most part unless the driver is up to the task. The main reason for this is the zo6 gearing, which basicly means if you try to do a race from a roll you will always loose in a viper.

Your car having the 3.55 gears though is probably gonna be a whole other story. Let us know how it comes out.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He'll probably get you. A GenII will beat them every time if the drivers are similar, but it's not a gimme.

Eric H

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If youre running 12.5's in the Viper if should be a pretty neck and neck race I raced one at the drag strip, I ran a 12.3 on street tires and he ran a high 12.5ish so youre right there. He had minor modes, filters, exhaust, etc, not sure about the chip though

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've owned a 2002 Z06. It will be a toss up. You may want to tell your friend that there are no "chips" for the Z06, just tuning software. Good luck....

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Run away now, while you can!

Those ZO6s are pretty scary!

heh heh, see if you can get some video! Have fun at it!

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have raced 4 of them, all WITHOUT Nitrous and beaten all of them. The 427 ZO6 is the one to look out for other than that, the run of the mill ZO6 I believe just has a 350 in it and is rated at around 400hp. Those are the ones I love beating up on. :D

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the mods you have I think your 1/4 mile should be a lot better than 12.5. High 11, very low 12. Unless you ran the car in hot humid conditions that day. My friend has a 94 R/T with Belanger headers 3:55 gears and no cats. I have seen his car at three different times pull down a stock ZO6 with 405 HP. I think you car will have a little more edge than the reprogrammed Z06. My guess is that you can expect to do a slow walk away from him from a roll. You should feel confident with all the mods you did. At the crank I would think your motor is putting out close to 500. And the car is going to pull even harder with the 3:55's. You could delete the cats just to get that little bit extra.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've owned a 2002 Z06. It will be a toss up. You may want to tell your friend that there are no "chips" for the Z06, just tuning software. Good luck....

yeh, they call it a "LS edit"....and since he has nothing to really TUNE, will be a waste of his money. Edits really benefit the vettes if you add some performance mods-H/C, headers, T body, etc

BLUESNAKE367

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dust his asp please.....

I would run him in a minute with my GTS, No question, heck I would race him in my SRT/10 Ram...

Iam game at any time , for any Bowtie, especially a vette...

V

vegasviper

NOS, just a 50 shot for insurance

That would be the fastest cheapest mod for victory

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had no problem beating the Z06 I raced.

Nore did I have any problems with a C6:
http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=601274&Forum=All_Forums&Words=8227&Match=Username&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=601274&Search=true#Post601274

Or a supercharged C5
http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=573027&Forum=All_Forums&Words=8227&Match=Username&Searchpage=3&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=573027&Search=true#Post573027

Street racing has a lot more to do with driver skill than drag racing at the track. Even cars I should have lost to (the supercharged C5, highly modded mustangs, etc.) where not a problem. You just have to launch the car good. On the street you usually need to drop the clutch at less then 2k RPM. And learn to feather the throttle SLIGHTLY if loss of traction becomes a problem. Remember the Torque will do the job for you if you give it the ability to put down power (traction).

Be safe. :2tu:

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm just to be safe i'd say get the heads/cam package done. If you can drive good then i wouldnt worry but i think you could do better than a 12.5. Buy some drag radials at least and i'd feel alot more confident :)

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd agree with the point of traction being a key element. :cool:
Many Mustang and Corvette enthusiasts don't happen to mention that they have drag radials installed, and from a dead stop traction makes a HUGE difference.

I think that with 3.55s and all of your torque, having super-grippy tires will help make the difference.
Get the H/C AND and set of Kuhmos to put that power down well, fully utilizing your power advantage to win. :2tu:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper