WHAT DO YOU THINK OF USING ACETONE INSTEAD OF OCTANE BOOSTER

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our cars are set up for 91-93 octane. If your in a state that sells 93 octane, I see no reason to run this. It can actually cause you to loose power. Engines with high perf. mods, may benifit from it, but why not give it a try. You should run your car at the track or on a dyno, and really come up with a consistant baseline, and add it to the fuel.

I don't think your going to see much from it. If your running a VEC2 and have it allowing greater advancement on the timing, then it may well prove benificial.

I know I can kill the spark knock in my 84 Chev Truck engine. I tested this by running the timing up to where it required premium, and put regular in the tank, and it knocked badly. One can of Amsoil octane boost, and it stopped the knock completly. Half a can with 15 gal. patially stoped it.

By the way, octane boost has very little effect when added to premium, but a dramatic effect when used with regular.

OP
OP
R

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I enjoy everything you say Skip White. You really know what you are talking about and arrive at your facts by testing in the real world like I do. I threw this post here as I was interested in what others might think of the Autoweek article and web site GasSmart. Alternative fuels are in our future. Thanks for being open minded Skip.

DocAdam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't know if this would be an issue in the practical application, but long term use of acetone or xylene would (theoretically) cause excessive drying out and corrosion of rubber seals. Which is not a good thing.

gts_2001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Acetone, Toluene, Xylene are all pretty carcinogenic (cancer producing). I'm not sure I'd want to be fooling with any of them without the right ventillation equipment and knowledge of how to use it properly.

Just my .02 :2tu:

womsterr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea Toluene, Xylene will make a huge difference. It also goes straight through your skin into your blood system and is really really nasty stuff.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper