Plugged Cat ---->> Ruined Engine.. and I'm not alone...

nevrenuf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Plugged Cat ---->> Ruined Engine.. and I\'m not alone...

I just wanted to share my experience with the forum regarding what my 04 Viper has been through in the past few months...

On August 20th, I left a stoplight in normal fashion. After shifting to second, and apply the gas, the car suddenly stumbled badly and lost power. I could barely get to 3000 rpms. Being that I was only a few miles from the Dodge dealer, I chose to drive straight there. I barely made it. By the time I pulled in, black smoke was coming from the left sidepipe. After a few days, the diagnosis was plugged cat. A new one was ordered and installed after about a week. At that point, the car would rev fine but the smoke was still there and the car had no power. The technician contacted Dodge and was told to pull the motor, all attachments, computer, wiring harness, etc. and "send em in"... You can imagine my reaction!... In the end, the engine had to be rebuilt at 7600 miles. Apparently the trapped heat and unburned fuel washed the oil from the cylinder walls and the rings then scratched the walls destroying compression. 8 weeks later, I have my car back.. with no idea WHY this happened... Sadly, Dodge cannot explain it either..

Now... they can't explain the plugged cat but were fairly open that this is not the first of these events that has happened. In fact, two SRT-10 Ram Pickups had the same problem at my dealer. The reason they wanted the full system from my car was to get one that hadn't been opened up. They investigated the computer, engine, everything.. Apparently this problem is occuring around the country.. For some reason, either spark is failing or injectors are staying open allowing raw fuel to enter the exhaust where it burns inside the cat, destroying it, and sometimes damaging the motor as well..

The good news? Dodge didn't hesitate for one second to repair the problems under warranty and they provided a loaner car for the entire duration.. Despite the loss of my Viper for months, my dealer and Dodge totally stood behind the car! For that reason alone, I'd buy another...

Unfortunately, one week after getting my car back, I'm forced off the road by an oncoming car in my lane.. short trip in the ditch to a tree, and a totalled viper..

Rough few months and end to an otherwise great Viper experience.. I loved this car.. I may replace it but got a very good deal on the 04 (new, $67,000) in December last year.. I'm considering a Copperhead the dealer has on the floor for the past 4 months.. asking price is $78,000 (sticker is 88,500).. maybe I'll have a better experience on round II....

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Plugged Cat ---->> Ruined Engine.. and I\'m not alone...

Wow!

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

At first I thought you were going to say you had Random Quality Hi-flo cats put on it, and they failed. FinalGTS had that happen.

I'm really suprised to hear that the stock cat was the culprit.

Lastly, I would think the 02 sensors would detect the stuck injector, or lack of spark on a multiple misfires code, and throw a critical fault code? I mean, it should be programmed to shut things down, rather than let it grenade? Evidently not...

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

When my engine died, with all the smoke and fire in my side pipe, I thought maybe it was a clogged cat.

Still not sure what caused my engine issues.

ledfoot

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Well. Other than that, How's everything going with the car..............Have fun picking a new one.....good luck

grayman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just another reason to ditch the cats alltogether. You'll get a louder exhaust (good or bad depending on preference), MUCH cooler side sills (heat not even an issue even on 100 degree days), you'll probably lose 20 lbs in weight, and pick up a few ponies to boot. I mean have you guys ever even looked at a removed cat, you cant even see light thru it...how exhaust even makes it thru there is a friggin miracle.

OP
OP
N

nevrenuf

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I thought about removing the cats but have been around a few cars with removed cats and the exhaust fumes brought tears to my eyes.. I did replace the exhaust with RT high flows (much lighter) and Corsa Track.. loud enough for me and lots more power..

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

ZVRCO-
So you are saying the plugged cat was a RT, and not the stock one?
I don't mean to beat it to death, but I am considering larger cats right now, and if yours was RT, then this is the second time I have heard of theirs plugging up.
If you could confirm, I'd appreciate it.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Something sounds fishy here. a plugged cat ultimately resulting in washdown and ruining of the walls? Sounds to me more like the result, instead of the cause.

However, I personally think the ruined cylinder walls was the effect of another cause. Generally, the only result of a plugged cat is loss of power and a damaged exhaust system. However, if the backpressure exceeds 50-60 PSI, what can happen is the exhaust valves pop back open when they are not supposed to, and that can cause piston/valve contact... resulting in loss of compression and/or cylinder wall damage. The other thing that can happen is washdown by fuel, which is indicative of a fuel system or engine management failure- and probably why they blamed it on the Cat.

When you have a plugged cat, the engine, being the "pump" that it is, looses effeciency, which results in LESS heat being produced around the engine, and more down the line, at the cat as it stores O2 and fuel will then contact it... this makes it a domino effect problem that compounds itself, as the cat gets worse, it is caused to become worse- until the engine stalls, the valves contact pistons, or the cat melts and a hole is punched through its walls/core and pressure is relieved.

EDIT*** Just saw the above post- was this an RT Converter?!?!?

OP
OP
N

nevrenuf

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No, the plugged cat WAS a stock one. While the engine was out and exhaust removed, I took the opportunity to upgrade to RT cats and Corsa's since I could get a free install.. The dealer didnt care if he was installing a stock system or aftermarket. In fact, since the stock system is more involved (crossovers, etc.), it made his life easier..