Rear window seal project

KWIK96

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Last week I started to hunt around for a new rear window rubber seal for my 2001 RT.
I soon discovered that you cannot get the seal alone, and basically need to buy a whole new window (approx $500)
Well me being half Jewish, half Scottish, and half Irish, I set about trying to find another solution.
After visiting a few trim places and manufacturers I came across a rubber which works pretty well. Installed this morning and pictures are attached. Looks really good and fits well.
8062Rear_window_rubber-med.JPG

For those that are interested;
To remove what is left of the damaged seal I used a Stanley knife. Heat did not seem to help. You just have to cut of the old one and get it cleaned up as best you can. This took me about 1 hour.
I installed the new seal in about 10 minutes using a rubber mallet where needed, mainly on the corners.
Start and finish is top dead centre.

The seal is a tubular bulb design with two lips. I purchased the seal from www.McMaster.com page 3214 #9 (part # 12335 A421) 10ft length.

Total cost was $20.56 delivered to my door.

Will also work for Gen 1 windows

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you post a picture of the window out of the car?

I would like to see how the corners look.

obaa996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome info! If anyone else is planning to do this, could one of you please make a tracing/template of the actual glass, so that a new one can be cut?

OP
OP
K

KWIK96

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here are some more pics. They are a bit hard to see as the rear window is tinted.
The window fits just as good as with the stock seal.
Steam cleaned the car today and it did not leak.
8062Rear_window_04-med.JPG

8062Rear_window_03-med.JPG

8062Rear_window_02-med.JPG

8062Rear_window_01-med.JPG

OP
OP
K

KWIK96

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Quote:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well me being half Jewish, half Scottish, and half Irish, I set about trying to find another solution.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------

Larry,
I see you are in Real Estate.
Is your sense of humour in Escrow?

SuperSaiks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
trying to locate the part on the website can't find it do you have exact link

SuperSaiks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yo KWIK96

Do you have a exact link to the section on that window seal part, tried to find it can't

Thanks

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the extra pics. If it seals as good as it looks, you may have just saved the RT/10 owners a bunch of head ache and money.

The only thing I would try is to put a little heat on the inside corners to get rid of where is sticks out, otherwise it looks terrific.

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man, this is great. I have been wanting to fix my window for years but thought it would be too much of a pain. Thanks for the tip.

Ag's'95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That looks like a great option, however as an alternative to you guys; I have found a "seal" that is the same "shape" and "dimension" as the one that came from the factory (my car is a 95). The groove that the window sits into is the same depth as the original and the outside part of the seal (the part that touches the car and makes the "seal) is exactly the same. I bought 75 feet of it (smallest amount I could buy) to re-do my window. Like I said just an option if someone wants to go back with something that looks closer to the original. I can send you a pic of the seal itself so you can see the shape if anyone is interested.

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That looks like a great option, however as an alternative to you guys; I have found a "seal" that is the same "shape" and "dimension" as the one that came from the factory (my car is a 95). The groove that the window sits into is the same depth as the original and the outside part of the seal (the part that touches the car and makes the "seal) is exactly the same. I bought 75 feet of it (smallest amount I could buy) to re-do my window. Like I said just an option if someone wants to go back with something that looks closer to the original. I can send you a pic of the seal itself so you can see the shape if anyone is interested.

Very cool. Can you post a pic for us? Thanks.

Ag's'95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very cool. Can you post a pic for us? Thanks.

[/QUOTE]

Ok need some help as I am new at this. Can someone please tell me how to include a pic in my post. I am sorry for my ignorance . . .

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Post a pic! So do you have extra? The above solution sounds good, but the seal looks a little "thick" in the sense that it seems to cover more of the window pane...

bth1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ag's'95, where did you order the strip that you used from? Also do you have a part number? Some pics of your completed project would be great. Also, what was the cost?

Thanks.